Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Usually it's just a matter of making the fittings a little tighter. Then it gets fun when you get a cheap batch and they strip.

Willie_B

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. I did not like how the spare tire was lining up with mounting hole on the rear. So I figured I would put it on the inside. Got it mounted and was happy with the way it looked. Then when standing back looking at it I thought hmmm, I wonder if the tire is right where the top bows need to lay down. YEP. So back to figuring out a good way to mount on the rear anyway.

94touring

MPlayle

I designed and had fabricated a bracket to hold the spare on the white Moke I restored.  The bracket mounted to the body using the original spare captive nut and moved the spare up and back so it was above the rear bumper instead of wedged between the bumper and body.

Below are some pictures of the bracket on the body.  The first two give an idea of how it mounted, the next two show it with the spare installed.  The last one shows a bit better how it was constructed and holds the spare.

Willie_B

I remember checking that out at Dans shop. That may be what I do now that you reminded me.

Jimini II

On my last Moke i used a $35 spare tire bracket for trailers from Harbor Freight.

drmini

Brad, you could always make some sort of spacer to mount the tire inside the tub but move it forward enough to clear the top bows.  Maybe 3 or 4 inches and you'd still have plenty of room between the rear seats and the tire.

MiniDave

Clancy's Moke just has a long bolt with a piece of tubing and a flat washer and nut on the outside of the wheel
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The correct piece is a sort of Z shaped stud threaded on both ends.

Willie_B

Now that the moke is off the blocks and on the ground I could finally sit in it. I have the seat all the way back, using all the 1 1/2" of travel! The magic wand shifter is a reach to first and third. Made an extension for it. Sure won't be speed shifting it anyway.

94touring

MiniDave

Could you make me one of those too? only have it curve to the rear?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on September 05, 2021, 12:43:24 PM
Could you make me one of those too? only have it curve to the rear?

How much longer do you want?  I will give it a try. The shaft is 3/8 303 stainless steel so not sure how to bend it.

MiniDave

Lemme do some figuring, just mild steel is fine, doesn't need to be stainless.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

You gotta do what you need to do with what you got. Took my wife and both to finish up the glass install. You push one place and it pops up another. Then it has to be compressed for the lower rail to be bolted in.

MiniDave

Nice!

You can never have too many clamps..... 77.gif

So, another thing checked off the list?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Windscreen mounted, still needs the bolts put on. Now it is really looking like a real vehicle.

MiniDave

Yay! It's a car again!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on January 25, 2022, 04:39:49 PM
Almost ready to drive?

Now I can take photos of it for insurance. It looks finished. Once I have insurance I can get a license plate and be able to hit the road.

Bleed the hydraulic systems and finish a short list of other things then it should be ready. 

MiniDave

Do you have the rear seats too?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Have all 4 seats. Still waiting on the seatbelts for them so have not put them in yet.

BruceK

Hope the weather cooperates for your maiden open air voyage.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

Well done Brad, it looks great.

Willie_B

Quote from: Jimini II on January 25, 2022, 08:02:42 PM
Well done Brad, it looks great.

With new glass in there it does look great.