Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

Just made the deposit for it. They stated 4-5 months but you can ask Michael how that went for him. It will be coming over via air freight. Cheaper and get sent straight to Atlanta. All I will have to do is pick it up at the airport.  4.gif

MiniDave

Strap it down right on top of your Mini?  ;D

Congrats, glad to see another project moving forward!  4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

BruceK

Very cool.  Can't wait to hear more about it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tennmoke

Willie,

Who did you order it from?  What did shipping cost.  I live close, would be glad to assist with the assembly. 

BruceK

I'm guessing it's a shell for an English Moke to rebuild your Catalina Moke, right?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

The shell is from M Parts, http://www.m-parts.co.uk/

Delivered to the Atlanta airport it will be around $10,400. Shipping alone was approx. $1520. Price will change as the exchange rate changes till completed and shipped.  I tried to pay the whole amount up front and they said no. Any fees on this end at the airport are extra for me.

Yes on the english moke, it is a MKI. Plan to keep the magic wand but with an updated trans from Guessworks.

MPlayle

There was a learning event based on the experience of them having permitted me to pay the whole build cost up front.  It was outside their normal practice and they decided mine was the only exception as it made it difficult for them to keep it prioritized.

The updated transmission from Guessworks sounds familiar. - lol

Jimini II

Nice. When you consider the time and expense of building a total rust bucket Moke you are way ahead of the game just going with a new shell. That and the fact that there is not much if any interior to do and everything else is just so basic plus you already have most if not all of the hard to find parts plus the appreciation aspect it makes sense.

Funpig

AWESOME!!!  Can't wait to see what you do with it when you get it and build it up!

MiniDave

I'm supposed to be building a Moke this spring too - the engine that had been sitting for decades that I got running a few months ago is for that car, Clancy is having the shell painted or powder coated as we speak, so it will be fun to watch yours and MPlayles and Clancy's all coming together at the same time.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Tim

After a 16 year hiatus I have begun working on my 82 Moke as well.  Looks like a few will be hitting the roads over the next couple of years.

Tim.

Willie_B

Just got an email, they should be finished building it in a few weeks. Then seam seal and underseal and spray. Faster than I had thought.  77.gif

94touring

Don't forget that the primer they typically use has poor adhesion and should be removed prior to the nice paintjob you'll have done. At least remove the primer on the exterior areas thay get hit with wind and pressure washers.

Willie_B

Still waiting on the shell. Last time I asked 3 weeks back they said just finished and waiting to do the primer and seam sealer. Same thing they said 3 months back.

I did get the cart almost done. Just need the plywood top and old carpet on that. Probably overkill but I know I will need to roll it across and down the yard to the basement.

Getting the same almost done put off on the transmission. Good Grief.....

94touring

If you're going off roading with your cart, I'd suggest having a way to bolt or strap it to the cart.  It will try and slide off at the first sign of ground resistance otherwise.

94touring

Also, it might be worthwhile to ask them to skip the primer and seam sealer since what they use is essentially garbage.  At minimum I suggest sanding down the exterior primer and using a proper epoxy sealer primer.  It will provide both adhesion and water resistance above what will be on it.

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on July 16, 2018, 10:52:19 AM
Still waiting on the shell. Last time I asked 3 weeks back they said just finished and waiting to do the primer and seam sealer. Same thing they said 3 months back.
Getting the same almost done put off on the transmission. Good Grief.....

Shoulda sent that engine and tranny to me!   ;D 77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on July 16, 2018, 11:17:47 AM
If you're going off roading with your cart, I'd suggest having a way to bolt or strap it to the cart.  It will try and slide off at the first sign of ground resistance otherwise.

I was planning to strap the shell down before going off-roading, run two or 3 around it and the cart. Also could run bolts thru any holes in the floor pan area.

MPlayle

A pair of 15' ratchet straps held my shell to its "cart"/dolly just fine - wrapped around the shell and under the dolly.  I put old towels over the corners under the straps to minimize rubbing.

pbraun

Glad I got mine done before the rush!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

Still waiting for it. Been told three times now that it will go out in two weeks. Those were months apart.

But I have started removing bits from the old one.

jedduh01

Quote from: Willie_B on August 14, 2018, 08:31:12 AM
Still waiting for it. Been told three times now that it will go out in two weeks. Those were months apart.

Mparts is on their own schedule + plan.!

Local guy with the Beach boys Moke= ordered a mess of accessory items .. Rubber plugs / Shift gators. etc.
He has a top to install and needs the hood straps. + and a Repro Rear bumper to really complete it.

1 month ago Most of the items shipped and received.... Still waiting on hood straps + bumper (backorder)
   week ago = got a tracking number = YAY!

Shipment delivered== it was a Duplicate of the FIRST Shipment..  OOPS!   Still no Bumper + Hood straps.

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on August 14, 2018, 08:31:12 AM

Looks like it's going to be a winter project for you.....

I'm getting ready to start on a Moke complete build too, he delivered the nicely powder coated subframes yesterday, now I need to collect all the bits that go on them from another local Mini guy - a guy that I've had "issues" with before - so I can build them up, then someday I'll get the shell and start ordering parts by the ton. His plan is to make it all brand new under the skin, but to leave the patina on the exterior, kinda like the hot rod guys do. I think that will be until he sells the Aquilla race car, then I'll bet he makes the shell like new too. Nothing like doing it twice. This is the same car that I got the engine running for a while ago, the engine had been in storage for 10-15 years but I got it to run in my engine stand and it sounded pretty good. We're not rebuilding it, just cleaned it up, fixed the oil leaks and painted.

Jedduh, can't wait to see you update the thread on the Beach Boys Moke!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Pulled the moke out of the basement to use the grinder to remove the body tag. Don't want all that stuff flying around in there. Also some more interesting stuff found when taking it apart. Not much left for the rear subframe to bolt to.