Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Although getting the new shell from M-Parts was a long process, it was worth it to me.

My Moke had nothing left for the front mounts of the rear subframe to bolt to except the captive nuts.  The entire heal board had rotted away and the "patches" were not full width and did not include anything for the subframe to attach to.  The front of the rear subframe fell 3/4" when I went to adjust the floor jack under the rear subframe after putting the body onto the dolly.

Willie_B

Nice clean bare metal parts to work with now. Found one small hole at the top of the gas tank. Both of the tank mounting straps were broken at the bends, so time to do some brazing.
All the seats have some rust/gone areas on the sides that were near the pontoons. Not sure if or how to do something with that.

Willie_B

When checking over the cleaned front subframe I found one cracked weld and two not very good welds. The cracked weld is where the front cross bar attaches at the top.
The not very good welds are on either end of the front cross bar. It seems that the center of the front is made, then welded in, the welds ground down to look like all one part. The welds do not have very good penetration.
I had already planned to do some extra welding and add a brace to where the front of the tie rod goes.
This subframe had never even been used yet!!!

Willie_B

Of course, I am in upstate New York and get word that the shell has landed in Atlanta. Ready to picked up at the airport. I will not be back till the 27th. Had to get the broker to pick it up to take to their warehouse. I hope to get it the 28th.

MiniDave

You'll have something to look forward to when you get home!   77.gif

How's the Merc doing?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

So far we have been averaging almost 20mpg this trip. Just went over 4000 total on it so still breaking in. This will our 6th night in a row to stay in it. Still working out the best way to do things. Have been tourist along the Erie canal for the last 2 days. Really interesting.

Funpig

Where in Upstate NY have you been more specifically?  Just curious.  Look forward to talking to you about your adventures upon your return!

Willie_B

Picked it up today. Was going to use my sons truck and car trailer but the weather did not look good for an open trailer. So off to U-haul for a truck. Being an enclosed truck we had to load it sideways off the forklift. Getting it out at home was not as bad as I thought it may be. After uncrating most of it I just slid it down the ramp. Once on the ground finish removing the crate and get it on the cart and in the basement. No problems. Glad it is finally here, only took 5 months longer than they said.

MiniDave

Is that all there is to it?

Seems like there should be more parts?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

That is the plain shell. Use the side pod covers and other bits from the other one.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Yep. If it's bolted or screwed on it does not come with the shell.

No different with a mini shell, it does not include doors, boot or bonnet.

MPlayle

That is how mine was - just the plain shell.  I had to order extra a couple of pieces to go with mine to replace what was not reusable.

The bare shell also does not come with the spring clips for the dzus fasteners that normally hold the side covers on.  Mine had some broken fasteners that would need replacing as well as getting all new spring clips.  That was why I went with the rivnuts instead - much cheaper route for the same results.

Willie_B

I have not decided yet what I will use on the side covers. This is not going to be show build so I am ok using something easier to install and use.

Lone Star Mini

Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Jimini II

Quote from: Willie_B on September 28, 2018, 06:21:58 PM
I have not decided yet what I will use on the side covers. This is not going to be show build so I am ok using something easier to install and use.

On my last Aussie Moke restoration i used riv nuts and short stainless phillips head screws on the  pontoon covers with an o ring on the back side so the screws would stay with the panel when removed, i lightly lubricated them and never over tightened them so as not to possibly spin the riv nuts. In fact all the outside cosmetic screws and bolts were switched to stainless for a much better look imo.

Willie_B

Steve Gibbs (coopertune) has the engine together. Will see some time on his test stand soon. 60 over 998 whatever that works out to be. 4 sync magic wand box with 3.44fd, cross pin diff and pot joint output.

MiniDave

Cool, hope he does a vid of it running....what carb are you using? HIF38? HS4?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

HIF38 on a stock metro manifold.

MiniDave

That should motivate a Moke nicely!   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

pbraun

Nice!  Steve did my 850 for the Moke and the tranny as well. Both work like a thing of beauty!  Highly recommended!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

MiniDave

What color did you decide to paint your Moke? Is it done yet (the paint)?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I am still doing work on the shell before paint. There are several holes that I have added, and a bunch that I have to plug. I just discovered that the front subframe that I had already painted does not fit right so need to find another to see if it's the shell or subframe that is off. Still need to trial fit the rear to check that out too.

Very light blue is still my first choice. Have not picked a certain shade just yet. The body shop I plan to use is only 2 miles from the house so that will help.