hello new to site, vtec automatic swap

Started by joakwin, November 25, 2017, 12:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

You're making remarkable progress, can't wait to see a vid of you driving it!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

yeah its getting close

I need to make a what needs to be done list

the drivetrain turned over from the key switch today

I need to wire up the fuel pump and fuel level
and put some fuel in the tank

and it will start no problem

video-1512936770 by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr
D16z6 Automatic, 4 wheel disc brakes, deseamed shell

joakwin

auto drivetrain started today

I got a fuel leak  and a vacuum leak

the vacuum leak will be simple to fix

the fuel leak is going to be a pain in the rear

I'll get it, I'm not worried but next step is to start building me some exhaust for it ones I get the fuel leak fixed

joakwin

MiniDave

Cool! Isn't a great feeling when it starts and runs first turn of the key like that?

What was the popping noise?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I think the popping noise was from the low fuel pressure

I only had a few gallons of gas in the tank and the tank had a ton of holes in it, its a older tank, I got the mpi tank used for 30 gbp, and was told it was good, it sat around for close to 7 years or so not being used, but the mini part of the tank leaked like no other, I welded up most of the holes and rust spots and
then I just said F-it

I wasted so much time trying to get the mpi mini tank in shape
but I'm going to cut my lost for now and swap it out for the stock Honda del slow tank

the Honda tank is 11.9 gallons and it worked just fine

I got the fuel level sender back in it and the stock Honda fuel pump installed back into the tank

I just have to do some minor mods and the tank will sit on my boot floor

my boot floor is far from stock and its a few inches deeper

I have to remove the stock outlet line from the del slow, and then the tank will be hooked back up

and I have to remove the stock filler neck from the del slow and some how mod it to work with the mini filler neck and make a mount for
the mini filler neck to bolt to the body of the mini now or make a arm inside to hold the filler neck in-place

I got sick the last few days
so not much work has been going on with the mini

but my goal for this weekend is to drop the Honda tank into the mini and getting the fuel lines hooked up and the filler neck worked out
and have it running again

joakwin

i got the mini running with the Honda del slow fuel tank

ones I reved it a few times, it started to surge and pop again

and then I put the fuel tank cap on and the surge and popping went away
and the idle came down

I think the stock Honda fuel tank cap is a sealed cap

I have a vented cap on it right now

I have to buy a sealed mini fuel cap

joakwin

raining today, so no work on the mini

planned on starting the exhaust work today but oh well

it can wait

I have to pull the old exhaust off the del slow
and I don't feel like doing it in the rain

plus I got tickets to see star wars later in the afternoon

hopefully it stops raining and I can pull the exhaust tomorrow

MiniDave

Tell us what you think of the movie - I've been hearing great reviews......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

movie was good I like it

didn't rain today but it was super cold and the wind was going off

the engine is starting to idle at normal rpm's now that I've gave it more time for the computer to relearn some stuff and whatnot

I want to get new plug wires for it

ive done cap and rotor and plugs last summer but didn't do the wires for whatever crazy reason

but the wires look pretty bad

I did some tunnel work tonight, some light sheet metal work, I had to fill those monster holes I put in it, and shave the hole I had for the manual shifter

my wife got me sick last week and I'm starting to finally get over it

so its been pretty good timing that its been raining here, I still want to build the exhaust for it

work isn't done for the year yet on the mini but I am running out of time,
but I'm going on a mini holiday for Christmas
we rented a cabin up in the mountains of eastern San Diego
hope to see some snow but who knows

but my goal is to get the exhaust built this week or it wont happen to the weekend of the 29th
I have a nice 4 day weekend coming up

and so I figure with the new year, my next major big project will the brakes

get the lines ran and start coming up with a plan for the Honda rear disc brakes

the del slow is 4x100mm
and the mini is 4x101.6mm
and I want to upgrade the wheel studs to 12mm, aka next size up

I have to ask my buddy Alvis how he went about upgrading his K20 mini to the 12mm studs

joakwin

what size exhaust is good for a vtec mini?

before with the itb engine I had 2.5 inch all the way from the collector to the tip

I have a long cherry bomb with 2.5 in pipe

I also have a stock twin box rc40 exhaust that's brand new, it has 1-7/8's

stock del slow exhaust pipe is 1-7/8's

joakwin

i got some autozone exhaust pipe adapters, I'm going to give the cherry bomb muffler a try and see if I like the sound or not

tomorrow I'm going to bolt in the cat and start fitting the muffler to the car

also looking in a box, I found a non-vented fuel cap with a pair of keys, the chrome on the cap is a bit faded, but I plan to paint it anyways

I was about to buy another cap, looking for some other part in one of the many plastic bins I took back from the UK a few years ago
and bam, fuel cap, saved me a few bucks

forgot what I was looking for but whatever.....

MiniDave

Boy howdy I know that one, go looking for something and find something else, then I can't remember what I was looking for in the first place!   ;D

It's hell getting older, avoid it if at all possible..... ::)

My buddy with the Vtec Pup tried all manor of mufflers and cherry bombs, no matter what he did it still sounded like a Honda. I think in the case of an automatic, quiet would be a good goal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I would actually recommend going with the RC40 twin box for a couple of reasons.

a) It is the same diameter as the original Honda system for that engine, so will be a closer match to the pressure constraints the engine was originally tuned/designed for.

b) As Dave suggests, it will be quieter and less likely to sound like a tweaked Honda.

joakwin

before with the itb motor with 2.5 in pipe, and just the cherry bomb at the end, idle sounded good but any rpm after that was way to ricey, and loud

so I flipped the cherry bomb and stuck it in the middle under the shifter area, and then stuck a 40 series flow master I had laying around at the rear under the boot floor
and the idle was the same and the higher rpm's weren't as loud and it didn't sound as ricey

I don't want the rice sound where its super loud and super deep inside the shell,

the stock twin box exhaust no longer fits my car as the boot floor is so much more deeper

i'd hate to cut up a brand new twin box rc40 and it not work out for me
I'm going to try the cherry bomb with exit in front of the rear wheel

and if that don't cut it, I will cut up the rc40 and run a single muffler from it and have it exit out the side in front of the wheel

whats nice is that I can keep on trying different exhaust set up's until I'm happy with it

joakwin

I worked on the exhaust today

I moved the cat about a foot back from its stock location, from the stock y-pipe to the cat I added in some 2 inch pipe
and then between the cat and the cherry bomb I have 3 inches of 1-7/8 pipe with a step up from 1-7/8's to 2.25

the cherry bomb has 2.5 inlet/outlet
so the 2.25 pipe fit inside of the 2.5

the outlet goes 2.5 to 2.25 to 1-7/8's

the cherry bomb is located under the rear seat area in the tunnel

I'm thinking about making the exhaust go out the right rear behind the wheel

looks like my plan is changing as I'm building the exhaust for the car

but so far I'm loving the way sound of the exhaust

joakwin

this weekend I plan on building the rear exhaust hanger mount thingy

picked up metal today for this small project

I plan to lift the rear of the car up so that I can fit under the car better

I'm thinking about building a diy sheet metal bender so that I can bend the metal for my dash

MiniDave

It's not too hard, but if you're only going to bend a couple of pieces, two big pieces of angle iron and a couple of c-clamps will do the job just fine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

I ended up making the exhaust go all the way to the back and come out the rear like stock

I used 2 inch pipe and the motor isn't loud at idle at all

the mount is half way done, i'll finish it tomorrow

I figured out my misfire and now the engine runs so much smoother and revs good

ones I get exhaust done, my next big pain will be the brakes

Honda ran two lines to the back for brake lines

joakwin

I welded my exhaust mount on today

and then I started to bend my sheet metal dash, it still has a ton of work to go but its started

sheet metal dash by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

joakwin

exhaust is mounted to the car, I left the pipe coming out the rear extra long so that I can figure out how I want to cut it

I plan on upgrading to 7/16 studs up front, I have some 13x5 minilite wheels that need a special lug nut, and they are way cheaper
to buy in 7/16's vs the 3/8's the mini uses

I was looking at some 13x5 trailer wheels before but I found out they are made for 1/2 inch wheel studs and that's way to big of a stud to fit on the mini

my buddy fit 12mm studs onto his k20 mini, so the 7/16's shouldn't be a problem, since they are a hair smaller

MiniDave

You're making great progress.............soon as it warms up here I can get back into the shop and finish Stan's car too....but it's just been too damn cold.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

joakwin

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2018, 10:52:14 AM
You're making great progress.............soon as it warms up here I can get back into the shop and finish Stan's car too....but it's just been too damn cold.

ive slowed down a lot in my progress, hips and lower back did not like the up and down measuring the exhaust pipe and the on and off of the exhaust pipe system

but when I cant work, I'm laying out watching tv and surfing the web, pre-planning the next step I want to get done on the car

when I was younger cold weather didn't stop me, I have some extreme cold weather carhartt's and I would just jump in those suckers and be good to go,
now, anything under 60 deg and my hips are like nope, time to Netflix and chill

a few days ago I ordered a 3inch 45 deg hose for my intake tube, ordered it off of amazon
and then intake tube and filter from autozone, mod the intake tube a bit

I plan on putting a small filter on the valve cover

intake by joaquinn lopez, on Flickr

MiniDave

Yeah, I've got a bum knee, but I don't have any excuse except being older than dirt......you're fortunate that you live in a place where the cold is not an every day thing in the winter like here.....although it did get up to 50 today. Day after tomorrow it will be hard pressed to break 20* again......

But I can't do the heat you get there in the summer either.......I'm just a wuss anymore I guess......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

I"m late to the game on this...   welcome to the forum and I had to mention that I'm familiar with the Norwich/Mildenhall area as that is well I grew up.  In fact I was just there this past summer.  Your mini looks good with wonderful progress.  The guys are this site are definitely knowledgeable and great people.  I am certainly interested in following your thread.
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)