Started by MiniDave, August 24, 2017, 02:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Nice touch with  "The Prisoner" weather balloon in the photo!   My, my that's a lotta money.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Supposed to be one of two that were used in the program, this one has verifiable history and is completely refurbished and original. Um.......if it's completely refurbished, how can it be original?  8.gif

My friend Clancy just got home from hauling some cars around the states, and one of his stops was at The Bugeye Guy's shop.....(https://www.bugeyeguy.com/) .....he has a shop full of Bugeyes in all conditions from junk to show cars and the cheap ones go for $30K or more......

He thinks the prices on these and many other LBC's (including Minis) are just going to keep going up. He notes the recent increases that rubber bumper MGB's and Midgets are bringing.....

I went and looked at a late model Midget locally that was supposed to be in great condition, runs great etc....it was a mess. Suspension blown, repainted from Pageant blue to resale red - poorly. The engine had a pretty good knock in it, transmission was noisy.....he wanted $7500 for it. If it doesn't sell, he thinks he'll drive it to Florida and sell it there. Says he adds a quart of oil each month. I'm thinking if he does try to drive it to Fla, it'll be for sale somewhere in Missouri with a blown engine.

Edit: He just texted to say thanks for pointing out the bad rear shocks,, said he looked under the car and someone had removed the original lever shocks and installed tube shocks but didn't bolt the lower parts to the suspension. He's leaving for Florida in it next week, he says.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

These don't come up for sale very often.  It's an ex-RedBull promotional car.   Can be left as is or converted into a little pickup.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/d/dallas-08-mini-cooper-red-bull-edtion/7395297055.html

Thanks
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ilookmarvlus

17.gif

First let me say this, I upchucked in my mouth a little with the all posts about the late 70's Spitfires.  If you want a happy life AVOID ALL SPITTYS, bought one brand new in 1978 and after it spent 7 of the first 11 months of ownership in the dealer's shop I never ever bought British car again, that is until I came across this little 1990 MKV Mayfair LHD.  Built for the French market it went to Italy and Germany before being brought to San Antonio.

I managed to snipe the car and even though it had sat for 3 years, after draining the fuel tank, changing out the battery and tires, my daughter and I drove it almost a 1,000 miles home. 

Just Tom...

Willie_B

ilookmarvlus, that looks nice. Welcome to mini ownership. I am guessing you know Michael or Bruce, to steer you here.

ilookmarvlus

Actually I don't really know anyone here.  I saw a link on Facebook to a page in Oklahoma what had a link to this site.  I'm in MOTR, Minis of the Rockies used to run a board like this and saw the Spitfire comments I had to say something.

This is actually my second classic, the last being over 40 years ago.  I do have 3 MINI Coopers as well, and R50, R57 and R60 and was most active in antique motorcycling, the AMCA for decades.
Just Tom...

94touring

BruceK

Welcome.  Brave move driving an unknown Mini that far.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I bought Buzz sight unseen in Baltimore and drove it 1100 miles back to KC.

Peter Kyte bought his Moke and would have driven it back to Denver from Houston if he hadn't gotten blasted by rain and storms.

Bruce bought a Beat and drove it from the coast to San Antonio, not as far but just about as crazy!

So yes, plenty of mixed nuts here when it comes to Minis!   77.gif

Welcome to the madhouse, you'll fit in just fine!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

My longest single drive in an unknown car was a Metro sight unseen bought in Quebec and drove it 1800 miles back to Florida.
On the way home stopped at the Mini Meet East show in Maryland and bought a second Metro and my friend Mike drove that back to Florida with me.
The first Metro ran fine but the second one broke down 14 times in 180 miles, I diagnosed it to have something in the fuel tank blocking the feed so I picked up a 5 gallon gas can, 10' of fuel line and an electric fuel pump.
We drove back with with 5 gallon fill ups but made it.
Fun times ;)

ilookmarvlus

Peter's a character.   Earlier this year he taught my daughter to drive manual on the Moke he drove from Galveston.  That's what enabled she and I to drive this car back, although she was concerned that shifting with her right hand rather than the left was going to be a daunting task.

Oh and he recently added a Barbie, a white and pink Moke, to his collection.

Just Tom...

MiniDave

He could fit 20 more Minis in his garage if he had them!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ilookmarvlus

I think Peter's garage is like a fish tank, it's been organically filled.  Can't even park the CR King Bristol there. 
Just Tom...

MiniDave

The prices are certainly popping upward too!

Did they ever make any LHD ERA turbos?

I saw one for sale a few years ago for $15K in Canada, but couldn't import it due to the 25 year law.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

cstudep

I don't know why exactly but I really like that Alfa!

tmsmini

It is a 1300 Alfa like those that used to race in SCCA C Sedan against Minis.

Not sure about LHD drive ERAs. Some did go to Germany that could have been LHD.
I would prefer a UK version compared to the JDM versions which are coming home to the UK, no AC.

tmsmini

There is a fiberglass pickup shell originally purchased rom Minimania, but it looks like you have to login in to facebook to see it.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/456668241042401/permalink/7401770369865452/

asking $4K

tmsmini

Another one a little different, injected wagon with seven port
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/barrie/austin-mini-woody-wagon-traveller/1608950791

not sure I would want a swirl pot in the back though

tmsmini

BruceK

Classic Minis don't show up on Cars & Bids very often, but this 1990 JDM one has already been bid to $15,500 in just the first day of the auction!  The audience seems slightly different over there – the site is focused on more modern cars – and this is more of a novelty there than on Bring a Trailer.  So some exposure to people who are not used to seeing Mimis.  How high can it go?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LnJxVoW/1990-rover-mini

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 14, 2022, 06:38:08 AM
Classic Minis don't show up on Cars & Bids very often, but this 1990 JDM one has already been bid to $15,500 in just the first day of the auction!  The audience seems slightly different over there – the site is focused on more modern cars – and this is more of a novelty there than on Bring a Trailer.  So some exposure to people who are not used to seeing Mimis.  How high can it go?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LnJxVoW/1990-rover-mini

This car just sold for $21,330 which is an exceptional price for a regular old Mini with a 1275.   The audience over there seems to have money and yet, based on comments, are perplexed by things we take for granted such as shifting with your left hand or a stalk-mounted horn push.

Wonder if they noticed the little hand cranks on the doors used to make the window glass move up and down?  ;D

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Brit_in_TX

So if anyone follows Alex Toon on YouTube or Instagram, he is selling his MK1 Cooper S.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ceyy3rXDbQR/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

He is asking for 50-55K GBP, which converts to 60-66K USD.  Unless he puts it on an auction site, we probably won't know what it will sell for.

I knew Alex before I move to the US, and his eye for detail is outstanding.