My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Do those use sleeved lug nuts?

Reason I ask is that Don got rid of a set of Revolution wheels because he could never get them smooth - we figured the sleeves didn't allow the wheels to stay centered. Since he went to the mambas with tapered lug nuts he got rid of all the vibrations
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

It doesn't say specifically but from the picture and the lugs they show they appear to be using the angled seat nuts. 

Yea, my original issue with current wheels was the sleeve style lug.  Yea the holes had wallowed out, that's why I had inserts put in, but now the wheel needs balanced off the lugs and no one does it. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Got the car registered again today.  Glad I got there early.   

Also got a message the wheels are ready to ship but of course they have no spacers and have no eta on them.  So guess I'll wait for them to come in and see what exactly is an issue.  If I still need them I can get from minispares.   And the fronts don't need them so I can drive for now with mismatched if the rear does need them.  Set to go to upholstery shop the 26th to do the seats. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Tracked down the non working signals from the inspection.  Bad flasher.  Got a close enough replacement from Napa and have turn signals again. 

Wheels are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Either will be yay problem solved or o 🤬 still a problem.  If I need spacers for the rear I'll put in an order from ol UK for stuff.  Lol.  Fingers crossed.

MiniDave

Do you already have the spacered out rear drums?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yes.  Didn't realize how far the coilovers stick out compared to just shocks.  If I didn't have the spaced out drums my current wheels wouldn't have fit.  So I'll probably have to get longer studs than what comes with the spacers cause they have to go through the drums too.

gr8kornholio

Got the new wheels today.  Look good.  Question though, how much clearance should I go for between the tire and the rear coil over spring?     

The tires are on the verge of rubbing so I want to move them out, but not really any more than I have to cause I like how they look.  I figure 3mm is cutting it close so maybe 5mm if not that it's all the way out to 3/8" which is pretty much 10mm.

MiniDave

Fronts or rears?

Front wheels move out as they go up, just FYI.....I think 3/8" clearance is more than enough....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

The fronts clear fine, it's the rears.

So you'd go with 3/8 (10mm) over the 5mm?

gr8kornholio

So according to several other car forums this is a large topic.  Almost all are in agreement that if there is space it's enough.  So will go with 5mm.  Enough for good clearance but not going to push them out any noticeable distance.

gr8kornholio

Nothing like spending $800 to find out you still have an issue. 
Not a total waste as the wheels look better and I needed new tires, but the frustration of well what's causing it sucks. 

94touring

Sorry to hear that.   11.gif

gr8kornholio

Some times you just need a 2x4.  Exhaust I guess wasn't far enough back.  Also the knuckle bolts were really loose.  I'd checked them at the beginning but I guess they loosened up.  Not sure how they are the nylon nuts.  Guess something to keep an eye on.  Maybe getting a new header as the knuckle put a deep gash/dent in one. Doesn't look cracked or anything but will see.

Anyways the damn rattle is gone.  Feel a little  :-[ though as guess this should been first place to look. 

94touring

gr8kornholio

Sounds like it.  Ran it up to 60 twice and no noise.   Only thing now after banging on exhaust my afr gauge just says A1.  Need to look that up now. 

94touring

I just had to buy a new sensor after melting the wires on exhaust. All it would say was A1. Even soldering wires back together wouldn't fix it.

gr8kornholio

Seats are off getting done.  Smashed a fingernail working on the interior.  Minispares and dhl seem to be back on their game.  Ordered last night and it's shipped and so to arrive Tuesday. 

gr8kornholio

Got my stuff a day early.  Yay.  Got the spacers in, 5mm was plenty. Did have to replace the studs though so yay extra work. 

Also put the chrome trim around the bottom lip of the shell.  Wasn't to bad with the heat gun.  Didn't like the bend coming off the rear as it had been rolled up the wrong way for a couple years now.  Sucky part is halfway up the side, the easy part, discolored.  Like seriously.  O well.

MiniDave

The car is looking great! Once you get the interior back, where's the first place you guys will take it for a run?

My stuff came today too - won't get started till tomorrow tho - really hot out now - really!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea, the heat definitely limits the time in the garage.  Working outside the car isn't bad, but climbing around the inside and getting in and out really wears on you. 

Probably just a bunch of local stuff.  Don't want to venture too far with all the new stuff.   Some shake down runs and trips to local shows should hopefully get the rest, if any, bugs out. 

There is a monthly show, nothing big, but you can enter multiple categories so I want to see if I can get best 60s car.   Import is too easy. 

Also the state fair is coming up and they have a car corral and the mini club goes each year.  Hoping to take it there.  Have also seen some cruise ins happening around.  Hopefully this heat breaks though and we don't carry the non stop 100+ days into Sept. 

BruceK

Beautiful!  IMO the Mini looks best on 10 inch wheels with no fender flairs and with the chrome trim instead - just like your car. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

Thanks.  I really like how it turned out with the wheels.  Having some issues though with that trim.  Need to try and smooth out the lip in a few places to get it to lay better. 

gr8kornholio

So what happens when an engineer is a car guy and an audio nut.....

You get a modified heat knob that now controls the bass boost on the amplifier.   Didn't need the heat valve as it is permanently open, that and no heater at the moment and even when one goes in the water can flow through it.   Also needed a place to mount the boost knob so boom. Fixed it. 

BruceK

Nice!    Twist the roaring fireplace knob for the bass!    4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio