My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Next time you can't get it to shut off, stick it in 4th gear, let the clutch out with the brakes on......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

:-[ moment.   After googling choke issues on Hif44 I found a couple of videos and found out my choke was wrong.  I'd locked the cable down to when the choke was fully disengaged the arrow was pointing at the fast idle screw.  Well that's wrong.  So I unclamped it and let it go back fully and then clamped it.  Then followed the video on setting it.  So fingers crossed tomorrow when I start it the choke and idle act appropriately. 

Valves were really close but adjusted them a little.  New plugs and double checked gaps.  Timing still accurate.   Did all of this before messing with carb.  Will double check timing when start up tomorrow.   

Moved the back wheels to the front and still rattling over 50.   With or without throttle.  In or out of gear.  Still trying to get local mini owners to come over.   Guy in Burlson has some but that's completely across the metro area.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Wish you were a bit closer, I'd be happy to loan you a set to try and sort this, but given how much trouble these have given you already I think I would just invest in a new set of wheels. Don't buy those with the sleeved lug nuts tho, get them with the tapered ones.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I still have the set of Minator 10"x6" wheels/tires I posted earlier.  They are complete with tapered nuts and center caps.  I was considering posting them in the "Parts for Sale" section at $320 for the set.

MiniDave

He would need tires too, wouldn't he? I was just saying he just needs to borrow a set off a car and drive around a bit to see if that's his problem (I'm betting it is)

However, since I haven't heard the noise from in the car, I would make sure the backing plates on the rear brakes are tight, that the top nuts on the rear shocks are tight and so on.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

It's the exact same noise from last time.  It's very distinct.  I have a set I've picked out, almost identical to mine.  Just would really like to know before buying a set and then still have the issue.  Last post on classic mini of Texas got a little more traction.  See if anything comes of it. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

The ones I have include the tires currently mounted.  They came off my panel Van, which has the 7.5" front disk brakes.  I had no noises or rubbing from them the few times I drove it with them on before changing to some narrower ones I already had.

The Van does not have flares and looks better with the narrower wheel/tire combo now on it, so the 10"x6" set is now extra.

gr8kornholio

Think I got the starting issue solved.  Yay. 

On the wheel front I got some measurements off mine so I know what will fit like what.  Issue is most wheels will actually stick out further than mine.  Mine are odd cause they are 6 inch but have a slight positive offset.  Most 6 inch I find have a negative offset.  Waiting for some info from Jbw and will go from there. 

Micheal, thanks but you can list those cause they would stick out further than mine and mine are pushing the limits of looking funny with no flares. 

cstudep

I have not quite decided if I want to sell them or not yet but I have a full set (5 wheels) of 4.5 x 10" minilite wheels. I bought new tires thinking I would install them on the minilites for my car, I mounted one tire, stuck it on the car and am now completely undecided on if I like them or not. My car has had the steel 10" wheels with baby moon style hub caps since I bought it and it just does not look right to me with the minilites. I could probably get used to them but I am thinking I may sell them instead, I just can't make up my mind. Keeping the tires either way since I really need the tires LOL.

gr8kornholio

So I have borrowed a set of wheels.  I finally got time to fit them to the front.  Which at first I didn't think they were going too.  They are 4.5x12 with a 35mm offset.  With that high offset and one side jacked up they rub on the coil over.  Luckily with the car back on the ground they don't. But this made me look around at clearances and in the back my current wheels are barely clearing the springs of the coil overs.  So will have to be thoughtful of this if ordering new wheels. 

With that in mind, is anyone on here running spacers?   If so what type and how do you center them properly?   I saw some on minispares that seem simple with just the correct 4 lugs and longer studs. 

I'm not fond of the narrow wheel, especially with high positive offset. 

Willie_B

Steveston Motor Co. has spacers that are 3mm and 5mm that are drilled just for minis.

https://stevestonmotorco.com/collections/hardware/products/slip-on-wheel-spacers

MiniDave

I run 3/4" spacers on the back of my green Mini   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Thanks willie.  Dave which ones are you running?  What centers them?

MiniDave

Generic.....they're so light and so close to the center of the wheel I doubt it matters. IIRC Mine have slots so they can run on a number of different spaced studs.....but if I were buying them again I would probably get some drilled to size like the ones WillieB linked

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Wheels/Accessories/Spacers/CW17.aspx?200104&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/wheel%20spacers.aspx|Back%20to%20search

They also carry these
http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Wheels/Accessories/Spacers/CW17.aspx?200104&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/wheel%20spacers.aspx|Back%20to%20search

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea, those were the ones I saw.

Willie_B

When I was using the spacers with the larger wheel stud openings I used a piece of 3/8" rubber hose over each stud the same length as the thickness of the spacer to hold them centered. Worked a treat.

MPlayle

I think I have an unused set like Dave linked in my "spares" box.  I'll get out to the garage tomorrow and take a picture and post.  If you are interested, let me know.

MPlayle

I do have a set (1 pair) of the spacers like Dave linked.  They are the 3/4" ones - see pictures below - with the longer wheel studs included.  They have never been used - just carried/bounced around in the box of spares for several years now.

If anyone is interested in them, send me a message.

gr8kornholio

Thanks Michael, but won't need that much of a spacer.  I did get a drive and it was much improved with the loaner wheels.  Now it still rattled but was drastically better and these are not proven wheels.  They have weights and are probably close to balanced but not verified.   So mine are either junk or horribly balanced.   Going to call tire place tomorrow to verify how they mount to balance.   If it's through the hub then I'd question it cause no guarantee thats centered.  Would hope they'd balance by the lugs but guessing how fast they did it I doubt it.   

Other note it started better, idled under choke better, sounds a little high actually, and idled good after releasing choke. So progress.  Got it inspected too.  Now just need to go to tax office to do registration.   

O, and getting the seats started the 26th.  I may have a full on car legal for street use by August.  Yea, a month short of 2 years since I got it back.  Geez.

MPlayle

That is fine.  I did not think you would need that much.  They came as spares with one of my past projects intended for the rears on a disk brake conversion as the car had unspacered rear drums originally.  I forget what I actually ended up doing, but the set was left over unused.

I'll post them in the "Parts for sale" section later for anyone that wants them.

gr8kornholio

Some good ol google research and finding out these wheels should definitely be lug centric balanced. Due to age and manufacturing process the likelihood that the center hole of these is in anyway round let alone centered is probably slim.  Also the fact that the 3 wheels that still had weights were also changed.  Quick cone mount balance can cause weight chasing, so possibly they ran it, weighted it and done.  Bet if they would have dismounted it from the machine, then put it right back on it would be different.   So phone calls to tire shops for lug centric balance. 

MiniDave

I think you'll need to find a race shop to do that, most shops will have the adaptor (we had one at school) but no inclination or training to use it.

Bruce had his car aligned at I think it was Cobb Racing? I would call them

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea they are gone. Moved to Austin.  There are a couple race shops that do alignment so will call them about balance too.

gr8kornholio

Yay for low exchange rate cause this is the choice. 

BruceK

Nice!  They're gonna look great on the car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara