Author Topic: My 65 Australian MKI  (Read 70883 times)

Offline gr8kornholio

Re: My 65 Australian MKI
« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2020, 04:00:17 PM »
Success.  With a capital suck.  Finally got it to slide on, then rotated it around and the dots no longer lined up. I was afraid it had slipped but didnít check.  Oops. So off it came and line everything up again and now didnít want to go.  Cam needed turned just a smidge.  Got it turned and finally got it slid on.  Yay.  Now waiting on my pulley and cam nut lock tab.  Hopefully FedEx doesnít drop it in the ocean again.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #501 on: November 29, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
I have those if they do.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2020, 12:48:26 PM »
Spendy bit of kit, but considering my stock style rubber fused one separated just sitting and the previous owners engine rebuild notes list internal damage likely due to balancer separation Iím thinking it was worth the extra money.

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #503 on: December 07, 2020, 01:08:30 PM »
Interesting - the two SPi motors I have in the shop right now don't have balancers on them, just pulleys.....and they're dead stock.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2020, 03:14:15 PM »
CRANK DAMPER V PULLEY PRE MPI

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Block/Pulleys_Belts/AHU1878.aspx?100111&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/crank%20pulley.aspx|Back%20to%20search

Title of the part explains it all.  This is similar to what was on there before.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #505 on: December 07, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
On a closer examination of the SPi pulley set up I see there's a separate pulley that bolts onto the one that's held on by the crank bolt, and this second one has the rubber in it.

I like the more modern solution, for sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2021, 08:53:06 PM »
Made some more progress today.  Fuel tank in and hooked up to the fuel pump.  Also got the remote shifter back in.  Hoping that since it went together it hooked up correctly.  Guess Iíll find out when I get the gear lever on. 

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #507 on: October 11, 2021, 09:44:07 PM »
yay for progress!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #508 on: October 14, 2021, 07:30:03 PM »
Went to fit the carb with my snazzy MED filter and it is smashing into the wiring and speedo cable coming out of the speedo. 

So figure solutions are smaller spacer, current is 1/2Ē.   Adjustable top engine steady to tilt the motor forward a bit.  Or go back to KN chrome cone. 

Issue with smaller spacer is the metal bracket that shields the exhaust and holds the throttle cable may hit manifold.  Also the stud length, may need shorter ones. 

Any issue with the engine steady pushing the engine forward?

Thoughts?  Known solutions?

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #509 on: October 14, 2021, 09:01:43 PM »
Pushing it forward is not the be all end all of the problem - as you tip it up forward, it comes up which causes interference at the lower edge with the bulkhead. I used a 1/4" spacer instead of 1/2, that seemed to be just enough, or use the K&N which seems to be made for this setup. I can't remember for sure, but I think I had to grind a little off the bracket in one spot for clearance to the manifold, but I think the stud length was OK - seems like I had to start the nuts and move the carb down on the studs as the nuts tightened down. However, it's different for a later model car with the gauges off to one side than for one with the center gauges.

Wait, do you run an HIF44 or twin carbs?

Dan used an MED on his twins and IIRC he had issues too.

I went back to a stock round filter assembly on my car, fits a lot better.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:08:00 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline gr8kornholio

« Reply #510 on: October 14, 2021, 09:31:38 PM »
HIF44.  Yea I figured the whole engine steady may cause other problems.  Mini spares only shows a 3/8Ē spacer.  Where did you find 1/4Ē?  Pretty sure that extra space would pull it back far enough.

Offline Jimini II

« Reply #511 on: October 14, 2021, 09:53:34 PM »
Went to fit the carb with my snazzy MED filter and it is smashing into the wiring and speedo cable coming out of the speedo. 

So figure solutions are smaller spacer, current is 1/2Ē.   Adjustable top engine steady to tilt the motor forward a bit.  Or go back to KN chrome cone. 

Issue with smaller spacer is the metal bracket that shields the exhaust and holds the throttle cable may hit manifold.  Also the stud length, may need shorter ones. 

Any issue with the engine steady pushing the engine forward?

Thoughts?  Known solutions?
When the factory installed the 1275 and used the HIF carb in the early 90's they moved the engine mounts forward about 1 inch and fitted a longer engine steady bar.
An MG Metro intake is the correct angle and clears well but are hard to find.
Using the thin spacer and shaving the throttle quadrant helps and an adjustable engine steady along with a cone filter works.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #512 on: October 14, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
Only reason I had issues with the twins was I was running tall filters due to tall ram pipes.  On my hif44 everything fits just fine. You'll probably want to start with the upper steady.