Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

gr8kornholio

Found some possibly original parts and curious if they have any value.  Oil filter assembly.  Original brake and clutch hoses.  A bag that says wet subframe parts.  Original style hose clamps.  Original slave cylinder and what looks like clutch arms. 

Otherwise car is mostly done.  One more dash panel to put in and the windshield washer setup.  Hoping to get it out of the garage this week and get it custom aligned and some good pictures.   Big arts and autos festival in Denton Saturday which I'm targeting for its first showing.   
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

Going to take lack of response to previous post that the parts are worthless and will add to the bin. 

Dropped the car off this morning for its alignment.  Was fun and nerve racking at the same time driving it and leaving it.  It's Like dropping off a kid on first day of school. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Sorry........yes, unless it's Aussie Mini specific and rare, I would say the bin is the right place.

I just threw away a shit ton of old scrap parts that I've been saving - no idea why. I still have about another shit ton of them to go too!

I'm a little surprised you didn't stay with the car, usually I like to align them with the owner in the driver's seat.....you did tell them you'd just spent a bazillion dollars on the paint and body work and if they scratch it, it will cost them another bazillion because the paint is a rare Aussie only color that has to come from down unda?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

No, but wishing I had as they didn't even do the rear.  Of course didn't realize until I got home and the wife was reading the paper work.  I was told by lots of car guys this was the place to go and when someone drops off a car for full custom alignment it most likely has adjustable parts all over the suspension.  Yay phone call tomorrow and probably a return trip.

MiniDave

Yeah, sometimes you have to educate them about what needs to be done.....did you give them the specs to adjust it to?

Can you post a pic of the results, before and after?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea I gave them the specs.  It's got 6th month warranty so I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to figure out what can be done.  Cause if all they did was the front I way overpaid.  Like way over.

Willie_B

I paid $175 for a full 4 wheel alignment on the moke.

MiniDave

Yes, it's usually $165 here for a 4 wheel on my classics.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

So taking it back in tomorrow.  They said they wondered if that's what they were for but didn't know.  God forbid you call the owner and ask.  Mine was $250.  They said they'd get it done first thing why I wait.  We'll see.

BruceK

When I had my car's alignment done they suggested I sit in the car while it was done. So I spent more than an hour aloft up on the lift while they fiddled and adjusted and readjusted - fixing one thing tended to knock another thing out of specs.   One of the techs in the shop took the picture of me sitting in the car, below.

One thing to be sure is the car's suspension is adjusted level on all 4 corners before the alignment.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

What spec's are you using Mark?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

MiniDave

Wow! What idiot came up with all that?

Wait a minute............ ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Got the alignment squared away.  This time he came in and got me so I could explain all the oddities of the mini suspension.   Enjoying driving the car again.  Can't take it to work though cause I found out the door key isn't working.  Fun.

Did however taking to its first show today.   Lots of spectators as it was a big event for police and fire.  Had a lot of great conversations and stories.  Need to put together my restoration book.  I swear I'm by far the youngest guy there with a classic style car. 

Since I now know it's a Morris mini and that's what I put on the tag I did a lot of explaining that is was just a mini.  The cooper is a different trim level on a mini.  Blew peoples minds they were making these up to 99.  They stopped importing them here in the 60's correct?

gr8kornholio

Outside pictures. I realize I forgot to take interior ones. 

94touring

That looks great Mark!  Happy to see it on the road again!

Willie_B

gr8kornholio

Thanks. Everyone loved the color and complimented the paint. 

MPlayle

As WilleB stated, last year imported was 1967 (possibly as late as Decmber 1967, but definitely none after 12-31-1967.  The last one off the production line was 10-4-2000.

gr8kornholio

Finally had time to get the door handle off to see why the key lock doesn't work anymore.  The little square sliding piece was jammed.  When I got it loose and apart a little piece of metal fell out.  After knocking out the pin and getting the barrel out I found what fell out.  The little end of the barrel that slides the little lock bar back and forth.  So was going to order a new set just to replace everything.  Well guess what, yep after a little research the 65-71 Australian doors use specific door handles.  Can be had for a cool $300.  Maybe someday.  For now I just ordered a set of new key barrels so will just replace those for now.  Hopefully spares is on its game and I can get them before Saturday. 🤞🏼

MiniDave

What's happening Sat? Another car show?

How's it running?

Do you like the coil overs?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Yea another show.  This one is a little further out.  Slowly working my way further and further from home as I feel more comfortable that there isn't an issue.  Hoping to get some good out and about pictures too.  Have free time this weekend so we will see. 

So far appears to be running good.  Think idle is a little high so will have to play with that. 

Coil overs are great.  Think I need to crank up the dampers a little or maybe down.  It feels a little bouncy some times.   Corners great, the new falken tires aren't as grippy as the A008s though.

gr8kornholio

Two more shows over the last 2 weekends.  Got front row parking outside the big convention center for one.  Lots of people out and lots of great mini stories from them.   Pretty sure got the loudest applause during the awards. 

The other one was today and again every one loved the car and couldn't stop talking about it.  Got an honorable mention for paint (all props to Dan) and overall vision and execution.   

Did find out this past week that the rear shocks were turned all the way soft so turned them up a ways and it is riding even better.