My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Moving along.  Got the bonnet on and aligned along with the mustache, whiskers and grill.  Also got the boot buttoned up.  Put on the boot lid cover.  Nothing like fitting a flat board to a curved surface.  Big thanks to my 11yr old sharpie master.  Of course even thinking about it I still put the handle on wrong and of course taking it off I dropped a screw and yep, had to remove screws from on side of the cover to fish out the screws.  Looks good but a bit of a pita. 

Tomorrow going to try and get it safety inspection done and register it again.  Yay for driving. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Bet you're ready to finally drive it!

MiniDave

What did you do about the interior?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

The carpet is all down.  I meant to put the front door cards in but didn't get to it today.  Waiting on the interior guy to call.  I'm on the list and the material is ordered.  Currently only have the one seat mounted for driving purposes. 

Still have work to do on the dash area.  Those curved cards that fit up there are a being a booger.  Pretty sure I need to cut some of the fabric but scared to mess it up and of course the old ones seem to be long gone.

Really like the way painted cross member looks with the black interior.  It's hard to see but in the steering wheel pic you can see the tach pod.  It has the white connector in it.  Need to find a good gear lever knob.  There's a guy I follow on Instagram that makes Jack Skelington. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Willie_B

Any idea on what you might like for a shift knob? I think I got 7 or so trying to find one I liked for my moke. My current favorite is one from Steveston Motor Co.

https://stevestonmotorco.com/collections/hardware/products/rally-knob

I would be glad to loan it to you for a trial fit if it looks like something you may be interested in. It is a good fit in you hand size, not like a stock size mini one is.

gr8kornholio

It's probably going to be something a little off the norm.  I grew up an old school hot rod guy so will probably see some of those influences showing up.  Shift knob is one place I'll probably do it.

skmini

Cool to see it getting close to done.  Inspiration for my project.    ;D  Looking forward to seeing some more pictures.

Willie_B

From tiny stock, one with built in extension, a little larger than tiny stock but same profile. To some different shapes.

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

I'm thinking more along the lines of this.  Figure this will be the expression of any passengers. Lol.

Willie_B

Quote from: gr8kornholio on May 31, 2022, 11:58:20 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of this.  Figure this will be the expression of any passengers. Lol.

I have seen those. They are cool.

skmini

Quote from: Willie_B on May 31, 2022, 09:36:28 AM
From tiny stock, one with built in extension, a little larger than tiny stock but same profile. To some different shapes.

That picture makes it clear how much bigger the Steveston Motor Co. shift knob is.  I should have ordered one with my steering wheel.

gr8kornholio

Haven't mastered the video post so Best explination it is.  Car barely idles with choke fully pulled.   This is fresh start after week or two of sitting.  When it came up to temp I released the choke and it died.  Fired no issues as long as choke was pulled.  Guessing for some reason my idle has changed, but I had set that when I timed it.

Extra info.  So before setting timing it idled fine on choke.  When it came up to temp I adjusted the idle to 900 and set the timing.  The 2 starts since then I've had the low idle issue.  I'm wondering if I forgot to release the choke before adjusting the idle and setting the timing.

Other issue is something sounds loose in the drivetrain and possibly getting looser.  After the gear box.  Will need to get it up on stands again and take a look.  Bad idea question, has anyone ran one of these while on Jack stands?  With 2 or 4 wheels off the ground?  Times like this I wish I had some kind of lift. 

94touring

It's possible the choke was sticking regardless of the choke knob being pushed in.  Retune idle and see if it holds. You have an air fuel gauge on there yet to see what you're getting at idle?  13s to low 14s is probably what you're going to want once it's warm for a stable idle.  Also make sure your distributor isn't loose and vibrating to the retarded side, making it idle poorly.

gr8kornholio

Yep, the choke cable at the carb was all messed up.  The cable holder on this carb is crap.  Got it cleaned up.  Also the nut holding it at the dash has come loose.  Also took Dave's advice and pulled the top of the carb off and sprayed cleaner down in the jet. 

Now it idles around 2000 with the choke.  Not sure the choke is fully disengaging but may be do to the looose cable at the dash.  Here is a pic with the choke fully released.  The little gold screw should not be touching at this point, correct?

Air fuel gauge reads at 14 at idle with choke.  Think it was a little higher at idle without choke. 

MPlayle

Quote from: gr8kornholio on June 04, 2022, 04:46:31 PM
The little gold screw should not be touching at this point, correct?

As I recall, there should be a very slight gap when the choke if off.  The screw touching the cam may be holding the throttle butterfly valve open slighty.

The gap prevents the choke from affecting the butterfly valve at idle when the choke is closed.  It also allows the jet to drop very slightly richening the mix before beginning to also open the butterfly valve as you pull further open the choke.

94touring

Gold screw should probably not touch with the choke shut. It's something you'll adjust to get a fast idle with the choke pulled but not so fast It's at 3000 rpms or something crazy. 

gr8kornholio

Sounds good. I'll get all that adjusted up.  Then to get it up and get under it to try and find the rattle.  Heard a rattle today with just the engine running then all the sudden it went away.  Usually not good, but turns out it was my timing tape that had half disintegrated then flew off and stuck to the grille.   Time to get a paint pin and put it back at TDC and just paint them on the pulley. 

gr8kornholio

Got the boogered up choke cable mess tidied up.  If it continues to be an issue will just have to order a new one.

Got it up on stands to find the rattle.  Spun the wheels by hand and didn't hear anything there.  Hubs nice and snug.  Got under it and one of the power wire clamps bolt was loose.  Tighten that up and also zip tied the afg wire to it before it gets tangled in the drive knuckle.  Speaking of which, looks like it's been hitting the exhaust again.  Last time I had this issue I found out my wheels didn't center themselves on the hubs. That was fixed my having the wheels fitted with the angled bottom lugs. So was spinning the wheel from underneath and noticed wheel weight sticky spots but no weights.  Took it off and sure enough they are gone.  Pretty sure this wheel is not perfectly balanced on its own.  So all 4 off and will take to the tire shop tomorrow.  Cleaned the back of the wheels as clean as they've probably been since new.  Hope that fixes it. 

94touring

gr8kornholio

Think I'm getting particles into my carb.  Was running fine 2 days ago and now it's back to barely idling with choke on.  Also looked at my fuel filter and there are little brown spots.  I have another filter before the pump too. 

This would explain the behavior of the way it's running/ idling.  Recommendations on maybe better filters or best way to try and flush the crud?

94touring

What's the filter look like before the pump?  Maybe it's clogged.  Those cheap plastic clear filters have a paper filter that would catch anything I'm seeing in your pic.  I'd start with changing out the filters and see if it acts up.

gr8kornholio

Ok replaced both filters.  Didn't see anything crazy with the pre pump filter, like it clogged or falling apart.  Just letting too much through.  The gas that came out of the line from carb to engine bay filter and crud that drained out of that filter was gross.  Little baffled cause I used proper fuel tank cleaner.  But then would also expect filters to actually filter. 

Will probably pull line off the carb also and spray some cleaner up in there.  Pretty sure the particles get through the jet under load or high rpm but get stuck in it at idle.  Should have time to run again tomorrow. 

gr8kornholio

Just as suspected, pulled the fuel line at the carb and ran the pump and a nice little pile of crud was in the bottom.  Sprayed carb cleaner in there and down into the jet.  Took some fiddling and idling and revs but finally got it back to high idle on choke and regular idle with no choke. Little gold screw not touching. 

So now back to rolling noises.  Have a wub wub wub noise sounds like from the back.  Not sure if it's new or just with everything else quieter I can now hear it.   Still have a rattle from the knuckle.  Wonder if I didn't get the header or collector seated deep enough in the exhaust. 

I just had all 4 wheels balanced.