My 65 Australian MKI

Started by gr8kornholio, February 11, 2017, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yeah, forgot to ask what carb we're working with here HIF or HS?

IE: is the float bowl off to the side (HS) or under the carb (HIF)

No, raising the needle in the dashpot does not affect the float needle

It def sounds like no gas is getting into the carb tho.....or the choke oring is bad and it's flooding the intake manifold
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Hif44.  Makes sense. Was going to ask if there was an on car way to get it loose.  Will try some light tapping. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

I got it to at least fire on its own.  Tries to run but eventually stumbles and dies.  Spark plugs are black but not wet.  I have a new set so I'm going to put them in tomorrow and try again. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

LarryLebel

I had starting issues on my Traveller equipped with an HIF44. The only overt issue was a little fuel seepage\leakage in and around the carb. After many attempts to get it started, I eventually bought a rebuild kit which solved the problem. I found all the rubber bits on the carb were petrified and disintegrating.

gr8kornholio

Yea if it keeps giving issues I'll definitely pull it off and rebuild.  Wouldn't surprise me if rubber bits are iffy.  It has been sitting for 4 years.  Thanks for the update Facebook.   Lol. 

BruceK

Plus the ethanol in gasoline is probably taking its toll on the rubber too.  If you can find non-ethanol gas it's definitely worth it in older vehicles, lawnmowers, etc.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

So carb rebuild kit on the way.  Actually ordered from 7 cause spares didn't have the version without the butterfly and with its cost plus shipping and the exchange rate it was cheaper through 7.  Plus now I get my smaller carb spacer so the MED air filter will fit. 

gr8kornholio

Did the carburetor today.  Found some interesting stuff.  Float was crusty guessing with old ethanol.  The o rings in the choke were a little gummy.  One was a green one which seemed odd.  The jet tube was all discolored and appeared the brass piece the jet tube fits in was missing the washer.  Also, the old float needle was plastic and all brown.  It's all back together per the instructions so tomorrow I'll try and get it back on and see what happens. 

The springs weren't nearly the pain the videos made them out to be.  Of course having the right tools and being use to working with springs probably helped. 

gr8kornholio

It's alive. Starts on its own and idles on its own.  Came up to temperature and watched the coolant flow. 

Funny thing is while doing the carburetor I didn't find anything obviously wrong.  Just little things that may have caused issues.  When putting it back on the car I was installing the hose used for the overflow and it was plugged.  Umm.   That's a problem that I know from past experience will keep the car from running.  It was plugged with a screw so I may have just torn apart a carburetor because I had a screw in my overflow line.  Oops.

Willie_B

Good job. That you will remember for a long time.

gr8kornholio

Spent today making a timing mark pointer that was visible and didn't hit anything.  Also applied the timing mark tape to the new balancer pulley assembly.  You'd think with the quality of MED products they'd at least come with the bare essentials to set timing.  Also got my tach hooked back up so fingers crossed tomorrow I can get the timing set and see if it's still rich and then adjust the carb.  Guess I should wire up the air/fuel gauge too. 

gr8kornholio

Got the timing all set.  Was a little jittery so talked to Dave and mentioned check for loose wires.  Pressed hard on all connections to make sure.  Also pulled the plugs after and 1/4 were clean but 2/3 were black.  Today I noticed the cap isn't really tight. So played with the spring clasps so it fits tighter now.  Will find out when I drive it. 

Got the whole steering wheel all set up.  Also got the bonnet pop cable mounted.  Think for driving just need to put a seat in and figure out what to do with the breather port from the timing cover. 

MiniDave

That first drive is always scary and exciting - yet fun! And in your case you don't have to baby a new engine.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Nope, just the brakes.  They are new at all 4 corners. 

Quick debate....   Pcv or breathers? 

MiniDave

You can always just put one of those cute little air cleaner breather things on while you sort it out.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Figured out my crankcase breather.  Will post pics when I get it done. 

Working on shoving new rubber seals into the quarter vent windows.  Slow and steady.  Lol.  Did put in a message to guys in Australia cause apparently I didn't take pictures and not sure which way the rivets go.  Looking at it you'd think one bay but don't really fit well that way.  I swear I took way more pictures.   

gr8kornholio

So waiting for this and that decided to tackle the door glass.  I'd heard this was a royal pita and pretty much is.  The quarter vent seal has to be stuffed into a channel all the way around.  The vertical seal is held on by some split type rivets that are fun to bend.  Getting the quarter vent/sliding glass and the little chrome triangle all in is also fun.  Took me a good 5 times of doing it to get it all right.  Really should have video the disassembly.  Other side will be cake.  Also glad my stepdads tool box had a rivet tool and rivets that fit. 

gr8kornholio

Realizing now should've done the insulation work first thing. Also should've fitted, trimmed and prepared the carpets first thing.  O well what fun is it to not do it the hard way.  Lol. 

94touring

That pattern would look cool as carpet.

gr8kornholio

So I have finally figured out why so many people sell their project cars shortly after completion.  Pretty sure it's because at that point you are so tired of everything on it that you just really don't care about it.   Wouldn't say this about your typical tinkering project, but the full on strip and build back from scratch. 

Hopefully today will start to bring the charm of the car back since I actually got it on the road.  It's running ok, seems to idle a little low with the choke on.  Need to keep playing with adjusting the rear brakes.  Also the break pedal still seems to have a lot of travel before it does something.  Did bleed the brakes today and all it pushes out is fluid when bleeding. 

94touring

Full builds aren't for the faint of heart. I looked it up and you're a little over 4 years into it.  Granted I probably had it for 2.  Today the owner of the 60 shell came by to haul it home to start his build.  All I was thinking was wonder if he'll get it done.

gr8kornholio

Yep I've had it back for over a year and a half.  I remember you saying you'd never do another after the green S that you were finishing up before mine.  Bad thing is I have a VW sitting here that needs the same treatment.

I'm sure others, just like me just don't grasp the scope of it.   Now maybe if all I'd done was take it apart, have you paint it, then put everything back on may have not been so bad.  But trying to fix all the bad stuff and done wrong and upgrading.   11.gif

Willie_B

A couple of tips on the brakes that helped me get a better pedal. Take the clip that holds the front pads in. Put a hose on the bleed nipple, open it, then push the pad back on each side to force any air out. I used a "C" clamp on the first pad so it would stay in while I used large channel grips to push the other side in. then close the bleeder. Take a pair of needle nose locking pliers, put rubber hose on each jaw. You can use that to clamp off each rubber hose to see if the pedal changes.

MiniDave

about getting burned out on long term projects - it happens.....the only thing I can tell you is eye on the prize. The reason you're going to this trouble and expense is so you can have fun with it when it's done. so, try to start having fun with it now. Drive it, show it, do what ever seems like fun, and don't get down about what's left. Make a list and start crossing things off as you do them, soon the accomplishments will far outweigh the left to do list.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad