Author Topic: Racing Green 89 Mini  (Read 23132 times)

Offline MiniDave

Re: Racing Green 89 Mini
« Reply #525 on: November 25, 2021, 11:48:48 AM »
So, I've made a patch and started welding it in.....just a few tacks to hold it in place. The metal is pretty thin even tho I cut back to good metal, I'm having to use pretty low power to keep from burning thru. still, even with just these tacks in place the floor feels really strong again. I'll go ahead and finish welding it in then grind down the welds, paint, seal and undercoat the side that faces the road.

Once that's done I can put the rest of the interior together again. I've also fixed the rattling door on the heater - I was surprised to find that the core has been replaced already, I fully expected to be buying a new one. All it took to fix the door was some new foam glued in place, now it's nice and quiet again......that rattle was driving me nuts - tho not badly enough to fix it I guess, as it's been doing that for over 5 years now!  ::)

Putting the interior back is a lot of work too as I took out all of the sound deadening, removed the back seat and have cleaned everything thoroughly. It wasn't bad, just dusty. I also removed the wires that ran to the speakers on the rear parcel shelf - I don't have a radio in this car and the wires were just in the way.

I'm half debating on taking the rear seat belts out too - I doubt they're any good at 32 years old - the webbing can't be safe anymore. I'll box them up and save them for the next owner.

I've also done a little work on the seat mounts....

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #526 on: November 25, 2021, 12:11:56 PM »
A while back I bought a pair of Subaru WRX seats, the Mini seats just aren't comfortable for the long drives that I frequently do in this car, and I'm planning to drive it rather than tow it to the upcoming Mini drive events like the CMU event in April in Virginia.....that's a 2K round trip plus the miles we drive while there.

I had to compromise on the seat mounts because the companion bins in the rear limit how far the seat can move back - I like to stretch my legs out on a long drive and couldn't get comfortable - so I decided to do what had to be done to make these work. I had been looking for some Miata seats as they fit in without having to modify the interior but couldn't find any in good condition for a decent price, so when these showed up on CL I bought them. They are pretty comfy and have great side bolsters, but they are a little large for this small of a car....

The left seat also has a height adjustment as well as fore-aft and backrest angle, so I figured I could just mount it directly to the floor and use the adjusters. To do that the companion bin had to come out, and that was further complicated by the fact that the seatbelt reel mounts inside the companion bin too. On top of that, the reel mounts perpendicular to the door, to make this work I would need to mount it parallel, so I would need to make a bracket, and it would have to be right against the quarter panel in order to make enough clearance for the seat to slide back where I wanted it. Plus too and also, the seat mounting brackets for a Subaru would not work in a Mini - so I had to cut those off and make my own.

One thing I did that made this easier was to buy a SWAG table for my hand held Milwaukee band saw....this makes it a bench mount and a whole lot easier way to cut out small bits to weld up into the mounts.

I didn't take a lot of pics of the process, but it did take 3 tries to make a bracket for the belt that actually worked....just like on Binky, they don't show all the ones they made that didn't work!  ;D

I saved the piece I cut out, so in theory it could get welded back in if I sell this car someday and the buyer wants to put it back to original.

The seat belt reels have to be straight up vertical too, if you angle them more than a few degrees they just lock up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:21:07 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #527 on: November 25, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
I've owned this car for 5 years and all along I thought it was a German export model - left hand drive, the lic plate surround had the name of a German repair shop (wish I had kept that), the arches are not found anywhere that I can find except that I saw the exact same ones on a car owned by a guy in Germany and so on, and I never even noticed this sticker till just now!

What it says is basically read the owner's manual (which I didn't get with the car) before adding or using any accessories.....whatever that means!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:43:40 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline LarryLebel

« Reply #528 on: November 26, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
Maybe the "Achtung" has something to do with Germany not allowing very many modifications, if any, to a production car.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #529 on: November 26, 2021, 01:24:36 PM »
There is that......

But I was only pointing out that there was a label written in German, which leads me to think it was a German export car.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Jimini II

« Reply #530 on: November 26, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »
It says do not cut out the rear bins as this will seriously compromise the rigidity of the car 😂

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #531 on: November 26, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »
Ha! Well, I only cut out one so I'm only half compromised....   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad