Racing Green 89 Mini

Started by MiniDave, August 19, 2016, 01:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Quote from: MPlayle on October 10, 2016, 02:36:11 PM
John,

Perhaps it was to raise the bump stop to restrict the downward range of the upper arm and thus the angle on the driveshaft to outer CV joint?

Wouldn't increased negative camber increase the angle of the outer CV joint in relation to the main driveshaft?  Then droop of the wheel crossing a hole would add to it further, possibly reaching the max angle for the joint?

Yes, exactly - but how does one attach such a plate?  I could slip a shim (washer) under the 2A4267 rebound buffer (the text called the rebound buffer a bump stop), but then the screw hole in the rebound buffer won't align with the screw hole in the subframe.  Raise the rebound buffer vs. lower the strike surface of the upper arm?

• FRONT BUMP STOP UNDER TOP ARM (REBOUND BUFFER) - 2A4267MS - "Mini Spares Non genuine a re-bound buffer which is the same as Rover Xparts are supplying as genuine. Fitted purely to prevent the top arm crashing in to the subframe on full droop (as when airborne),and stopping the suspension ball joint going bound in full droop. It does nothing to aid suspension bump absorption. If negative camber has been changed as it performs a vital job---a 3mm plate should be attached under the top arm where this rebound buffer hits.

Also fits Metro/MGF-these are now what Xparts supply as their genuine part 2A4267"

I suppose one could elongate the 2A4267 screw hole downwards and create a slot for the screw, but it just seems like a flimsy way to attach the rebound buffer - there's not a whole lot of metal down there.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Maybe, but I know if you don't have them it's easy to shove that inner seal in too far and then the water seal is no longer on the end of the stub axle.......maybe they don't use those anymore either?

John I think the 3mm spacer plate is only for cars running more than 1 1/2° of negative camber, anything up to that unless you're running really lowered is not a problem in my experience.

I only run 1/2° neg camber, so it's not an issue. In fact I took the upper bump stops out just to see what it does, since I'm running "normal" height and the coilovers have bump stops built in.

This afternoon I reinstalled the fuel tank, I decided to put the gubbin back in too, if I lose it again I know where to find it! I replaced the fuel line off the tank, which was interesting as it was a bit thicker than what I removed (which seemed to be a pre-formed hose) and the hole it passes thru is formed so as to not use a grommet - I used a little silicone paste and was able to push it thru, but only one way, so when I needed to pull a bit back to bring it up to the tank - that wasn't happening! so I pulled it thru and put it back in from the top, this time leaving enough to reach the tank.

I also installed a new vent hose as not only was the end deteriorated, I found about a 4" split near the top too - I'm hoping that's where the raw gas odor I was getting was coming from.  So, new sending unit, new hoses, rattle removed, restrictor installed, should be good to go.

I have to work tomorrow so I won't be back at it till Wed when my parts are supposed to be here from Mini Spares.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I guess the rebound buffer shim was more of a curiosity issue than anything else  - I wasn't panicking, I've been running with the neg. 1½° arms (giving just a tad under  neg. 1½° camber) and slightly lowered (only to get the driveshafts parallel to the ground) since 2003 and haven't broken a driveshaft or balljoint yet.

I really like the look of the fuel filler neck restriction flap, it looks modern and replacing the split vent hose will surely help reduce odors. 

You're really making good progress on this!  4.gif
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

I'm a little disappointed at just how much "progress" I'm having to make, I really thought this car being as late model as it is would be a "buy and drive" kinda car - but it's a Mini - I should have known better!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 10, 2016, 08:02:04 AMMiniSpares has ready shipped my parts and I've gotten notice from DHL that they expect to deliver Wed...

I had a bit of a shock today when I also got a text message from DHL saying my parts from MiniSpares would be delivered this Wednesday.   The thing is, I just placed my order with MiniSpares last night (Sunday night) at 10pm.    And today, less than 12 hours later I got a DHL shipping notice (not to mention informative emails from MiniSpares themselves!) saying my package was already in transit to me.   

That blows my mind.  I'm getting goodies from the UK to here in Texas in the same amount of time as when I place an Amazon Prime order!   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 10, 2016, 03:13:22 PM
I also installed a new vent hose as not only was the end deteriorated, I found about a 4" split near the top too - I'm hoping that's where the raw gas odor I was getting was coming from. 

Remember at the spring Fun Run in Eureka Springs when I also had a strong gas order in the boot?  We replaced my vent hose and it took care of the problem promptly.  Besides being old, I think the thing killing the hoses is the crappy ethanol in the gasoline in this country - it just eats the stock UK fuel and vent hoses which just were not designed for that fuel. 

That's why I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses, from tank to the carb, with ethanol-capable hoses.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Good news, I poured about 4 gallons of gas in the tank and when I turned on the ignition it reads just under half full...result!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

My parts finally showed up about 4 pm....much later than usual for DHL in my hood, they're usually here about 12-1 pm

First thing I did was dig out the boot lid hinge seals - mine were broken in several pieces - and got the decklid re-installed, I have a new seal for the boot lid - does anyone know if the lip goes on the inside or the outside of the seal body?

Next I went to work on the ball joints, then packed up the wheel bearings and installed the seals, then took the whole assembly to the car where it went together easily. I love it when a plan comes together! I now have the right side complete and torqued up, time to take the bride out to dinner.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Nice looking install!!!
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

Just realized I forgot to put the disc brake backing plates on.....oh well, my other car didn't even have them!   ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on October 12, 2016, 03:45:02 PM

First thing I did was dig out the boot lid hinge seals - mine were broken in several pieces - and got the decklid re-installed, I have a new seal for the boot lid - does anyone know if the lip goes on the inside or the outside of the seal body?

Well, I was about to point out that on early Minis the seal was actually attached to the boot lid itself, not around the boot opening on the body like on later Minis.  Then I went out to look at the boot seal on Emma to tell you how the lip on my seal went. 

And I discovered that my '88 Mini has the seal around the boot lid itself - not the car body.  Surprise.  So I guess that's a little retro touch on my Mini.  The seal was installed even without the clips (or the little holes they fit into in the boot lid), just by glue apparently.   

Separately, I am jealous of your clean and painted front hub parts - they look great. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Clean parts are sooo nice to work with. Looking very sharp.

MiniDave

If I wasn't on deadline I would have redone the brake calipers too but they'll have to wait till after the event this weekend.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

All buttoned up now, even got the wheels on it. I also got my new correct lug nuts on......tomorrow I'll set it down on the ground and see how much I need to adjust it so I can drive it to school. On the lazer alignment rack I can set the ride height up properly.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

My buddy Seth sent me a pic of his.....the seal goes over from the inside.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Looking good there, Dave!

I'm wondering if you shouldn't try to find a rubber cap to blank-off the top of the upper arm's knuckle joint cups.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Yes, I'm either going to cut the lip of the cups that were in there and turn them upside down or find a rubber plug that will fit tightly.

Got it down on it's wheels this afternoon, I had to raise the back an inch and drop the front by 2 - it's still too high in the front but it's good enough to get it the 5 miles to school where I can even it out.

I needed to change the fluid in my parts washer, the last time I did it was probably more than 12 years ago, maybe more! I called Safety Kleen as that's where I got the last barrel and I was floored when they told me how much - last time I paid what I considered a pretty hefty $170 for 25 gallons, this time they want $420!

I checked at school and they use Crystal Clear brand, so I called them, they will deliver 26 gallons to my house and haul off the old fluid for $165. Done. I'll see them tomorrow morning.

It was a good chance to clean out my tank too. Mine is an old Harbor Freight tank that I paid less than $100 for in 1990, I took the pump out and mounted it on a shaft about 10" above the bottom of the tank and it's worked perfectly even since. I'm a little surprised at that actually, as the pump was designed to use water based solvent and I've had mineral based spirits in there ever since....the water based stuff that HF supplied took the paint off the tank - pissed me off, that's why I changed it and built it to work this way. It also was not supposed to be a recirculating tank like this, but the 5 gallons or so of juice it held got dirty pretty fast...this is much better as it's lasted all these years, I've cleaned a LOT of parts in this tank.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I once needed an odd-sized rubber plug, so I went to the local 'shop' and picked up a couple of rubber tips for walking canes.  They're tapered and can be cut to size.

I wouldn't cut the tabs off, I'd leave them there, as well as the rebound buffers.  You never know if you'll eventually re-install rubber cones.
- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

Looking good Dave,

I was wondering about the boot seal as well.
I know mine was on the lid originally, I ordered a seal from seven that said it went on the lid but I got it last week and it looks like it is designed to go on the car?
I dunno guess I'll figure it out  also it came with no clips but maybe they're sold separately.
I have read somewhere that the seal that goes on the car is the better one to have .
I don't really care what I got just want to know how to properly install it. I might give seven a call and see what they say.

MiniDave

Well, I got the seal on, but I just about can't get the boot lid closed, I may put the old one back on!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Drove the Mini down a few blocks to the local glass shop to see if they could install my new chrome locking strips  but they are booked till Monday - since I can't get them done before the show I'll do them myself next week, a friend has the tool.

Since this was the first drive on the coilovers, initial impressions are good....I'll need to get the alignment set and play around with the shock settings before I can say for sure, but so far so good.

Got my solvent/parts cleaning tank back together.....could not believe the price difference between this stuff and SK, since we use this stuff at school I know it works just as well too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Took the green Mini up to school to align it and got it pretty good, I didn't have time to do the rear camber/toe adjusters so that will come later.

After I got the ride height evened out I set up the front caster/camber /toe.

On the ride home I'm not sure how I feel about the coilovers......I'm going to have to play with shock settings and ride height some more...right now it feels like a race car, very little travel and a little darty. I also need to drive it some more to settle the springs down then I'll mess with it again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Bet it was a strange ride getting there.

roadhouse

MiniDave

Progress.............of a sort. On the drive home from school yesterday I was pretty underwhelmed with my new setup, so today I pulled all the wheels back off and raised it up a bunch. I also set the shocks 4 clicks (out of 13) stiffer from their lowest setting and while I only drove it around the neighborhood it was noticeably better.

I'm going to install the rear camber/toe brackets and then set both ends again and then just put some miles on it.......our big club event is tomorrow, once that's done I won't be under any time constraints. I can go ahead and rebuild the front calipers and replace the leaking slave cylinder too - I'm taking extra brake fluid as it's leaving a puddle now.

Gave the car a bath today in preparation for tomorrow - I can't believe how many bugs we killed last weekend - for October. My car was covered in bug guts!

More as it happens....I'll have pics from tomorrows event in the evening once I'm home, weather is supposed to be hot and sunny.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad