Author Topic: '09 MINI Clubman S  (Read 292 times)

Offline MiniDave

'09 MINI Clubman S
« on: January 14, 2022, 02:37:08 PM »
My Clubby has just under 100K on it and like we did with Bruce's '02 MINI Cooper S, it's time for some maintenance if I'm going to drive it another 100K, which right now is the plan. Of course, plans can change.....

It's been a real workhorse - it's been all over the country, east and west north and south many times and really has not been a problem.

Now it's due for some brakes - they shudder pretty badly - and I scored a set of 50 mile new car take-off shocks and springs a while ago - however I don't know if they will fit as they are off an F56 JCW.

I'm also due for an oil and filter change and it has developed a coolant leak. I had a water pump put on it a while ago and a new thermostat and housing while it was under warranty....I'll have to get it up in the air and see if I can pinpoint the culprit.

With the green Mini drivable and a big sleet/snow storm bearing down on us I worked today to get them swapped out and just now got the Clubby on the rack - it's starting to spit rain right now but the big stuff isn't supposed to hit us till later tonight.....

I still have a few things to do on the green Mini too but I think I can do them on the floor instead of the rack.

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Online BruceK

Re: '09 MINI Clubman S
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 03:50:50 PM »
Itís cool that youíre planning on hanging on to it indefinitely.   My 2002 Cooper S is just months away from me having owned it for a full 20 years. Itís still going very strong with about 138K miles on it now. The exterior and interior still look great.  Iíve visited about 20 different states in it on various road trips over the years.  The rebuilt supercharger I installed on it 2 years ago is out of warranty now, but it is performing great and I expect it to last quite a while.  The MINI only travels about 4,500 miles a year these days, but I still drive it 2 or 3 times a week.  Iím happy when I drive it, happy when I walk up to it, and happy when I just look at it parked there.  What more can you want from a car?

Dave, all that maintenance and upgrades you and I did on the car 9 years ago continues to benefit it.  Thanks again for all your help. The biggest thing we did was dumping the crappy dual-mass flywheel and installing a new one and a perfect new clutch. And the poly suspension bushings are still going strong.  It gets regular oil changes (of course) as well as regular brake and coolant flushes.   Just today I drove the car to the dog park the next town over and my my thoughts turned to a transmission fluid change might be needed after 9 years.  So, Iím working to keep it alive.

Hereís a photo of it from last year on a MINI driving event the local dealer hosted.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 03:56:56 PM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1992 Honda Beat (JDM)

Offline cstudep

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »
I have contemplated buying one several different times over the years and almost pulled the trigger on one a couple of years back but there were some issues with it and the guy would not budge on price so I passed. Used car prices are so insane right now I am not sure I would buy much of anything these days unless I absolutely had to.

I have always read about how "unreliable" they are, but just like any car I am sure you get out of it what you put into it. I have always thought, how bad could it really be, it absolutely has to be more reliable than my 1960 model  ;D

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 03:02:48 PM »
We got about 4" of heavy wet snow over night, I mention this because after I got the blue MINI on the rack I realized I couldn't lift it because the lift arms wouldn't reach - the MINIs and BMWs have some small blocks attached to the bottom of the car and that's where you set the lift pads. So, I had to back it off the ramps and reset them - which meant I had to shovel the snow away from the door as I didn't want it all dripping down on me as I worked.

The Audi was parked behind the blue MINI so I had to clear it off too - so - I spent about an hour clearing snow and did the whole driveway too, then I moved the Audi, backed the car off the ramps - reset them, drove it back on again and finally could lift it. Whew!

This morning I had to run down to the dealer to pick up a filter as I found I was out of them, so after that trip so far all I've gotten done is to change the oil and filter.

A while back I bought a set of F56 JCW springs and shocks from a guy I know - they had all of 50 miles on them as he put a set of Konis and aftermarket springs on his car the day after he got it. While I was at the dealership buying a filter I stopped in the shop and asked one of the mechanics if he knew whether they would fit my R55, he says no. Undeterred, I'm going to probably pull one of mine off and just see why they won't fit.

Worst case I think I can probably sell them for what I have in them at least.....

I also need new brakes, rotors for sure as I have a terrible pulsation in the fronts. I doubt the pads are worn out - they are premium ceramic pads so I haven't had to fight black brake dust since I went to them, but the rotors came from Autozone - I may have to suck it up and buy a set of good rotors from the dealership.

I also need to find my coolant leak and sort that out......more as it happens.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline LarryLebel

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 11:57:34 AM »
My wife had an 08 BINI. It had a coolant leak that had something to do with the thermostat housing.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 01:25:23 PM »
Mine was replaced when the car was just about to go out of warranty, but it could be that again. I haven't really gotten into that yet. Seems to me that the leak was on the right side of the engine, which would probably mean a water pump - which has already been replaced once. Weather is going to deictate what I can do for a while, it's in the low 20's today, and Tuesday it will be in the 50's, then Thursday it will be single digits, so Tuesday is when I can run the engine long enough to find the leak, till then the garage door stays down....

I've just finished the brakes and I'm looking at the suspension to see if these F56 parts will work. On first look it seems to me they will bolt right in, so I'm going to pull one of the fronts and take it apart and see what's what.

If the front does fit I'll pull one of the rears and see if that will work too. If not, I'll just sell the parts on. I'm sure there's someone out there that would like to upgrade their shocks/springs to JCW stuff from std.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:29:41 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
Well, I have the answer on the struts - they don't fit. I pulled the right front strut out and compared it to the new ones - the shock tube is about 3mm larger in diameter, so they don't fit into the upright....don't know why the tech couldn't have told me that yesterday - maybe he didn't know - he just knew they didn't fit.

I got the brakes all done, and it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow tho not like Tuesday, but maybe warm enough that I can fill the cooling system and see if I can find the leak.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:42:40 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 04:38:51 PM »
Finished up the blue MINI today, rotated the tires and set the pressures then drove it around the block to bed in the brakes a little.....

I refilled the water yesterday as the overflow tank was empty, ran the car for a while then shut it off overnight. The tank was empty again this morning so I topped it off and ran the car again till the thermostat opened. Now the heater works and the tank is staying full. It hasn't leaked a drop, anywhere..... 8.gif

The water has to be going somewhere as the tank was dry.....I figure the refill I did this morning was just from bleeding the air out of the system.

I'll drive it for a bit and see if the tank gets dry again.....if it goes dry again and doesn't leave a puddle then about all it can be doing is drinking it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »
 I found my leak.....

I drove 30 miles or so out to the engine shop to pick up the block and pistons, I was about 3 blocks away and suddenly I smelled coolant - I parked in their lot and went inside to pay and to load up. when I came back out there was a fair sized puddle on the ground. They topped off the tank for me and I headed back home - on the drive home I didn't smell coolant at all till I pulled into my driveway - then it hit really hard.

I backed into the drive and unloaded then opened the hood again and I could clearly see coolant on the gearbox, which is on the left side of the car - only thing there is the thermostat, and these are made of plastic and have a reputation for failing - mine was replaced at about 50K miles because it seemed to take the car forever to warm up.

Here's what it looks like - it's a very odd conglomeration of components including the temp sensor - which you can't buy separately BTW - and it is a "2 speed" device. Normally the car will run right at 225*, but if you're driving above 80 mph and/or have the A/C set to max, a second port opens and it runs 185*!

Leave it to BMW to over engineer something as simple as a thermostat    ::)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:40:02 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Online BruceK

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 05:45:06 PM »
Great that you found it. Are you going it replace it with a stock BMW piece, or an aftermarket one? 

When I replaced my MINIís supercharger 2 years ago, I ditched the OEM plastic thermostat housing (which was not yet leaking) and instead installed an aftermarket metal thermostat housing for piece of mind, and I hopefully gained some better longevity with it. Obviously, Iíve got a different engine and different thermostat housing (nowhere near as complex or convoluted as yours) but Iím not a fan of the plastic ones.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 05:46:57 PM by BruceK »
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1992 Honda Beat (JDM)

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 06:42:20 PM »
I'm not aware of any aftermarket metal ones, but the prices are all over the map......so I may try an aftermarket one - they all look exactly the same.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 07:02:50 PM »
This is what I saw when I parked after coming home from the machine shop.....unfortunately it's been WAY too cold to do anything about it yet, but maybe tomorrow - Monday for sure as it's supposed to be in the 50's again, for one day.

It might be enough to get the green Mini back off the rack again and the blue MINI back on. Then I can at least see what's up - there's a chance it's leaking out of the sensor - there's an oring in there that fails and I have orings.

If the plastic has split or cracked somewhere I'll be buying the whole magilla.....

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:06:00 PM by MiniDave »

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Offline Jimini II

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »
Definitely marking its spot.