wet blasting

Started by 94touring, April 15, 2016, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I'm going to be trying some wetblasting.   I have a 4000psi 4gpm pressure washer I've picked out and this style wetblast kit in the vid.  Between cars, wheels, and subframes this should be a nice addition to the shop. 

MiniDave

I'm eager to see how it works..... 71.gif

Does it require a pressure pot or just a siphon style media hopper?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Syphon but I've seen some diy using pressure pots too. 

Willie_B

I might need to send you a set of alloy wheels to try it on.

John Gervais

That looks really cool!  I can see a number of benefits - reduced likelyhood of panel warping and low dust!  Neat!   77.gif
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on April 15, 2016, 03:18:19 PM
I might need to send you a set of alloy wheels to try it on.

Absolutely.  I know the clubby wheels will get blasted and I'll respray them myself with quality paint.

Yeah less heat so panel warping risk go down and if anyone hhas ever sandblasted you know how dusty and miserable it is to do.

94touring

Ordered the nozzle part.  Another nice thing is I can clean paint splattered floors like a champ now.

MiniDave

Are the nozzles plastic or ceramic? What media do they recommend?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Carbide tip.  The media needs to be fine grade like any other sandblaster would need.  When I did ssandblasting on the other cars I'd sift play sand since it's so affordable.  I'll probably do the same now too but may setup a trapping setup to reuse as much media as possible. 

John Gervais

An idea - if you wet-blast in a kiddie pool, the media will settle to the bottom and then you just pour off the water.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Similar to what I'm thinking but a kiddie pool is too small.  I'll use some large sheets of plastic (4mil or there's about) and create an area to trap the runoff. 

John Gervais

I guess you'd also need to run a magnet through it before you re-use the sand. 

Oh, and to try to keep the neighborhood cats out of it...   :D 
- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Would an 8 foot diameter by 18 inch deep  "kiddie pool" be too small?  Holds 565 gallons of water and is $23 through amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Ocean-Reef-Snapset-Inflatable/dp/B00005O6TY/ref=sr_1_20/189-9864920-6359941?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1460859776&sr=1-20

You could do a PVC pipe frame to hold a curtain around it for spray to run down into the pool.

94touring

Needs to be probably 15x10. 

94touring

Ordered the pressure washer.  I was torn between a Simpson with a Honda motor or a Generac with its own motor.  Ended up going with the Generac, it was on sale and while both rated at 4200 psi and 4gpm the Generac does have a few extra cc's and about a half horse over the Simpson.  I'm pretty sure it's all US made as well. 

snack

Dan, that Looks pretty cool!...But for a couple of bucks more loose all the sand and wetness with this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JW4yW4mjGo

Steve

94touring

Jims5543

LOL!! Dr. Evil!!  I love the laser blaster, I cannot image how much that would cost.

I have to repair my pressure washer, I am no longer lending tools out to family or friends. They always come back broken and most of the time I am not told they no longer function, I have to discover it on my own the next time I go to use it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

pressure washer delivery

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

That's Justin   4.gif

94touring

Well the pressure washer is a beast.  You need both feet on the ground when you pull the trigger.  The wet blast kit is tbd because it doesn't come with the part that gives it pressure.  So it just sprays water like a hose for now.  Not sure why they don't include it with the damn thing. 

94touring

Hot damn this thing works great!  This was about 10 seconds worth on my first trial spray.

94touring

Here's 6 mminutes of blasting beforeI ran my bucket of sand empty.  I also had to put a wedge under the dolly wheels cause it pushes the car around.  It's not very messy.  My pant legs are wet and I put on safety glasses causesome media bounces back.   

94touring

So I think the key to catching sand and not making a mess in the shop is going to be hanging plastic around the frame of the garage door tracks, leaving the opening where the garage door is.  Plastic on the floor trapped half of what I went through during this test run with no plastic draped on the sides.  Did the whole side with about 100lbs of media.  Flash rust has to be tended to also.  HHaven't decided if added chemicals is best or wiping down after its sprayed with a rust inhibitor.