1960 R1 Mini Project

Started by roadhouse, April 14, 2016, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadhouse

Paint is dry and the tape is off. Here she is in all her glory.

Poll time: What color should the arches be? The original plan was to go body color but my painter thinks they should white. What do y'all think? I'm kind of leaning more towards white to break up the teal...

94touring

I always do them body color but it's your car and easy enough to repaint if you don't like them.

Merlin

Body color. I would think that white would be a little over the top. However, I generally don't seem them anything other than body or black.

If you think they would work, try it. Worst case is you repaint them...
Engineering the Impossible

Willie_B

If you did them in white you might need to add whitewall tires to go along.

towjoe

Body color.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

Tim

+1 - Body Colour......  As you can see in my picture, I've had many years of looking at a similar coloured car and dreaming up the possibilities.  Coming up on 17+ years of ownership now.

Tim.

roadhouse

Thanks for the opinions. Going with body color on the flares.

jeff10049

yep body color would be my choice as well.

Looks Great!

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 14, 2016, 01:47:08 PM
Yeah fun forum...all new members are required to get drunk and post in the drunk thread.  Restoration mini hazing!

Someone call me?  hic...

roadhouse, love the project looking forward to seeing it done. I think this motorcycle engine cars are super cool.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

roadhouse

It's been about a month since my last update. My wife and I welcomed our first child to the world on 9/1 so we have been a little busy with her for the last few weeks :)

As far as the car, it's still at the body shop waiting to have all the body parts assembled on the shell. I did receive confirmation today that the Lynx R1 kit shipped (only 13 weeks after I paid  50.gif) so I'm looking forward to checking that out soon. That's about it...just playing the waiting game right now.

Here's another picture of the shell just because

roadhouse

The "I want to build a bike-engined car" starter kit. 14 weeks later, the Lynx kit has finally arrived. I hope to inventory the contents and make sure it's all there and in good condition sometime this week. Now I just need a car so I can start putting these parts on it.... nothing moves quickly. My painter did send this to me earlier so at least there is some progress being made. I really want to see it with the flares on. (Side note- I think these light covers are super lame and will not be using them)

roadhouse

I was able to spend some time this evening tearing into the Lynx delivery. The engine cradle looks fantastic and I'm pretty pleased with the headers as well. Nice welds on both and powder coat on the cradle survived the journey with no blemishes. There were some items that ended up damaged, however. The shift knob is pretty badly scratched/pitted, the radiator shroud is badly cracked in multiple spots, and the radiator fan has a broken blade. Overall I suppose these aren't major issues but still a little disappointing. I'm glad the most important parts are blemish free.

BruceK

Quote from: roadhouse on September 29, 2016, 11:42:53 AM
It's been about a month since my last update. My wife and I welcomed our first child to the world on 9/1 so we have been a little busy with her for the last few weeks :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!    That is wonderful news. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

roadhouse

I emailed Lynx about the damaged parts and one part that was missing (reverse gear) so we'll see what they say. Stuff happens.

I broke down yesterday and ordered the Barnett clutch spring conversion kit. My original plan was to just use an extra stock spring but I decided to just do it right the first time and not have to mess with it. I have new factory clutch discs so hopefully I can wrap up the clutch next week and install new gaskets and have the motor ready.

I also broke down and ordered new genuine front and rear subframes for the car. RIP my wallet. The subframes that came with the car were in ok shape after I straightened them out but I decided the shell was going to be too nice now to put those back on it and I wanted to start with a good, straight foundation. And after further inspection, the front subframe was a wet suspension setup. That wasn't going to work. Sigh...buy once cry once.

roadhouse

Starting to come together now

MiniDave

I think those are the same flares as on my car....who makes them?

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

You have a beautiful car!

These are actually sportspack flares that have been worked over a little bit. They do look similar to the ones on your car.

MiniDave

Mine photographs better than it is.....but thanks!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: roadhouse on October 13, 2016, 08:50:24 PM
These are actually sportspack flares that have been worked over a little bit. They do look similar to the ones on your car.

Hmmmm...    SportsPack flairs typically have a little notch in top of them to clear the side repeater light.   And that notch is very noticiable when they are fitted to a car without a side repeater.    Is that the part that was worked over?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

They also have a little cut out or dip in the front flare to accommodate the end of the chrome bumper......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

Yep. The notches for the marker lights were filled in since this car won't have them. I think the notch sticks out like a sore thumb on a car without the lights.

MiniGene

The Sportpack arches with the notches filled in look amaze-balls.  This thing is going to be cherry and wicked fast.

roadhouse

Thanks! They turned out better than I thought they would

roadhouse

Spent a little time on the R1 engine this last weekend. Pulled the stator and oil pan covers and installed new gaskets for both. I also learned that I will need to cut the oil pan baffle to clear the oil level sensor. Not a huge deal. Some people just make a block-off plate for the sensor but I would prefer to keep it. New clutch springs arrived so maybe I can get that wrapped up this weekend. This engine really needs a thorough cleaning once I get it all put back together. I even found what appears to be plastidip on some of the covers. blegh

Slowly but surely we are getting closer to a completed shell. Sliding windows are back on the car. Apparently these are pretty crappy to work with? Just take my money...

roadhouse

Front and rear glass are in. Body shop is going coat the underside of the car and tidy up a few things over the next few days, then I'm scheduled to pick her up on Saturday. Can't wait!