1960 R1 Mini Project

Started by roadhouse, April 14, 2016, 10:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I agree with Spitz, but maybe for a different reason - mine has to do with the accelerator pedal, because of the intrusion of the wheel well it's curved around to the left, and it forces my knee into an awkward angle especially on longer drives. I prefer the left side to drive from too.....

I know a lot of guys like the right side driving position because of the looks it gets or it's "Britishness", but that's not me....

I had no issues driving my car from the right a far as traffic or keeping in my lane or any of that....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

See I'd rather convert them to rhd.  I've never had an issue. 

roadhouse

Quote from: AcesLow on April 20, 2016, 03:49:59 AM
Roadhouse. I bought my exup eliminator from these guys if you are interested

http://www.12oclocklabs.com/products.htm
Thanks for the link. I ended up ordering a Graves exup a few days ago.

Quote from: MiniDave on April 20, 2016, 08:17:12 AM
How will you handle reverse?
The Lynx AE kit uses an electric starter motor for reverse. So yeah, may have to push it occasionally lol

Quote from: Spitz on April 20, 2016, 09:39:13 AM
Looks like you started with one heck of a good shell!

Have to ask though...why in the world would you want to make it right hand drive??

There are opinions out there, but the fact of the matter is LHD in NA is easier in traffic and much safer.
I absolutely hate driving in the RH position in my 89 Jap MINI....only reason I havn't changed it is the unique dash doesn't allow (practically)
Yes, not too bad!

Basically just swapping to RHD for the novelty of it...

roadhouse

I have yet to order the swap kit but here is everything that comes with it... reverse gear and motor included :)

roadhouse

Overnight parts from the UK (not really but DHL international shipping is super fast). Ordered all the parts to rebuild the sliding side windows, new glass gaskets plus some other misc bits.

MiniDave

Yep, I get stuff from Ol Blighty quicker than I get it from California!

Looks like you're moving right along....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

I decided to take advantage of the current exchange rates (thanks Brexit!) and ordered the Lynx Racing R1 swap kit :) I went with the basic kit (minus front sprocket), manual gear change option and aluminum race radiator. John at Lynx suggested using a 13 tooth front sprocket vs the 14 tooth sprocket they normally provide in their kit. The 13 tooth sprocket is what they run in their race cars but it's pricey to get it to the UK. Easy to get in the US so that's win for me. This will be the second kit they've shipped to the US.

The kit should get here in 6-8 weeks so now the goal is the get the car back from the body shop before then... fingers crossed. I'm ready to start piecing together this puzzle!

MiniDave

Yay! Love it when a long term project starts moving forward......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

Just got word that the car is officially ready for paint. My painter is having a new booth installed on Friday so we should see some color next week. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

MiniDave

So roadhouse, how did the paint turn out? What color did you go with in the end?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

My painter had some delays with his booth install. I was told it should be painted sometime this week but we'll see....  11.gif  ::)

roadhouse

My painter put the mini in his booth sideways, just because lol

All taped up for roof to get painted

Roof painted

roadhouse

Interior and roll bar painted. Loving the color!

[/URL]

[/URL]

SoCalMiniFan

That color is tits!

I can't wait to see this car in all it's glory.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

roadhouse

Thanks I think the color turned out really good! Can't wait to see the exterior finished up later this week.

jeff10049

Man that color is the catz azz love it what is it?

roadhouse

1955 Ford Thunderbird Blue :)

94touring

Really nice.  Also, good job to the painter doing it with the roll cage in!

roadhouse

Quote from: 94touring on August 20, 2016, 02:44:03 AM
Really nice.  Also, good job to the painter doing it with the roll cage in!

Agreed! I had no desire to get in there and paint with the cage

roadhouse

Finally got some color on the outside of this shell. Totally thrilled. Anxious to see the color contrast with the white on the roof! They are going to put the rest of the shell back together at the body shop (arches, bumpers, doors, windows, etc) and then I'll take it home and start working on the suspension and engine swap. Hopefully I'll have it home in a few weeks. Also, it's been 8 weeks since I ordered the Lynx swap kit. I talked to them earlier this week and they should ship it out next week. Hopefully not by boat lol. Anyway here are some pictures:

MiniDave

Killer color!

I want a ride in it when it's done!   71.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Looks awesome, make sure they put the headliner in before the glass.

MiniGene

Wow, that color looks nice!  Great choice.

roadhouse

Quote from: 94touring on August 25, 2016, 01:05:43 PM
Looks awesome, make sure they put the headliner in before the glass.

Not putting a headliner in this car, but thank you for the tip! I would have missed that...

MPlayle

A 1960 should be an external hinge car and those used a full frame for the headliner.  The headliner does not wrap under the windshield seals.