Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MPlayle

Oooookkaaaay?

That should produce some "interesting" stopping results.

BruceK

Wood brakes?  Not so stupid as you may think. 

When I was in San Francisco several years ago I did the tourist thing and road the famous cable cars.  It was very crowded and the only place I could stand was on the rear deck were the conductor operated the car.   When he pulled the brake lever to stop the car there was an immediate and very strong smell of burning wood.  He explained they use Douglas fir wood blocks as brake material, and they have to replace them every couple of days. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You'd never wear out the discs or drums that way!

Despite the steepness of the hills, a cable car should never get out of control anyway, all they have to do is latch onto the cable, then their top speed would be 9mph....their brakes are only used for stopping from that speed.

In the picture above, I would have removed the caliper and hung it out of the way, then used a bigger block of wood to keep the pistons in place and just used three brakes - assuming the pads were OK on the others.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Are those the lifetime Pads?

John Gervais

I wonder which pad was carved first.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Quote from: jeff10049 on January 14, 2017, 11:13:35 AM

Yes, but you notice they never say whose lifetime?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on January 14, 2017, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: jeff10049 on January 14, 2017, 11:13:35 AM

Yes, but you notice they never say whose lifetime?  ;D

That was my thoughts,
So I guess the brake dust would be easy to clean off.
So is it PINE for the cheap low price pads, FUR for the mid grade, and OAK for top end low dust?
If one had an ole fence post with nails and stuff in it could you make a semi metallic?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Jims5543

MiniDave

OK, I'll bite.....what does that last one mean?   8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Lol that's hilarious.

Dave it's a spin on lady in the streets but freak in the sheets.

94touring

Jims5543

Jims5543

94touring

I like the pig jig saw puzzle

jedduh01

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Halloween costume....blind pilot... ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A buddy of mine who works for southwest.  He called himself dead eye on the pa announcement.

94touring

Bringing this thread back to "life"