Converting SPI to Carb

Started by MPlayle, March 11, 2016, 08:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Someone has really done a number on your wiring harness.  The Brown, Blue, and Red wires are correct for feeding the main headlight switch.  The splicing of the other colors to the switch connector is odd.

Note:
Brown = always live power into the switch
Red = power out from the switch to the running lights and dash lights (back lights for instruments)
Blue = power out to high/low beam switch (on steering column) which then feeds as Blue/white or Blue/red to the headlights.

If these are feeding anywhere else, there is a problem.

Those green based colors seem more like the connector from a wiper switch has been patched onto the ends for the headlight wires.

MiniMike

Just what I was afraid of... might be easier to get a new harnes at this point  haha well I have a few more things to check to see if I can't get this one to work. If not I don't know what to do.
'93 Mini Cooper SPi

MPlayle

Do you have a Haynes manual or the orange Service Manual?  The wiring diagram for a carb'd Mini I used as the cross reference when doing mine was the diagram for Minis from 1976 onward.

I will scan and attach that diagram and the key to it here.

It is what you are attempting to replicate.  Cross reference to the diagram for the SPI for the differences.

It does indeed seem like a new harness might be your best approach as more of your existing harness has been "bodged" versus where mine was still basically unmolested.

Vikram

Might not be helpful, but I did an SPI to carb conversion and just bought a mk1 harness. Much easier!

MiniMike

Yes I've been referencing the same thing. Everything should be correct. I have a couple things I wanted to check that came to me in my sleep but not hopefull haha. Yes my harness seems to be cut up... for what I don't know.

Vikram I think I'm going to get a new harness. How was it hooking up the mk1 I was thinking about getting a late model carb harness then wiring in my fuel pump from the spi since I have the fuel pressure regulator already in and ready to go.
'93 Mini Cooper SPi

Vikram

Pretty straight forward.

I did have to use a wing mounted solenoid since I had a A+ pre engage starter motor. Oh and the lights took a little trial and error, I remember Dan had to try a couple of combinations before they were correct.

I used a Mr Gasket 2.5 psi micro fuel pump, and that was very straight forward to hook up to the harness.

MiniMike

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep you guys updated.
'93 Mini Cooper SPi

MiniMike

Not sure what I did. But tinkered around for a bit with a test light. I think the plug to the ignition was loose or corroded but not sure. Whatever I did it got it to start! I need to adjust the carb and timing though. Again thank you so much for everyone's help. I think I read this thread at least 50 times haha.
'93 Mini Cooper SPi