MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 23, 2017, 01:55:15 PM
And it's over......the troll is out!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ecclestone-confirms-chase-carey-has-replaced-him-as-ceo-of-f1-868019/

Happy Day! 

I actually discussed Bernie with John Cooper one time and how he was not exactly popular with F1 fans.  Cooper did not really understand it.  Even though he was decades out of F1 by that time, I think he was still too close to see things from a US fan's perspective.   I guess some people liked him.   I'm not one of them. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Some more good news.....

By Tony DiZinno | Jan 23, 2017

Ross Brawn and Sean Bratches have been confirmed to key roles within Formula 1's new leadership structure under new chairman/CEO Chase Carey.

Brawn, whose team won the 2009 World Championship with Jenson Button before laying the groundwork for Mercedes' recent run of form, and who achieved a wealth of success with Michael Schumacher at Ferrari, has been installed as Managing Director, Motor Sports. Bratches, a former ESPN executive, will be Managing Director, Commercial Operations. It's an undoubted key role in Brawn's 40-year career.

Carey's latter role was confirmed today as part of Liberty Media Corporation's completed acquisition of the sport, which sees Bernie Ecclestone removed as CEO.

"I am delighted to welcome Ross back to Formula 1. In his 40 years in the sport, he's brought his magic touch to every team with which he has worked, has almost unparalleled technical knowledge, experience and relationships, and I have already benefitted greatly from his advice and expertise," Carey said in a release.

"I am thrilled Sean is joining Formula 1. Sean was a driving force in building ESPN into one of the world's leading sports franchises. His expertise and experience in sales, marketing, digital media, and distribution will be invaluable as we grow Formula 1.

"I look forward to working with Ross and Sean, as well as key current executives including Duncan Llowarch, our CFO, and Sacha Woodward Hill, our General Counsel, the FIA, Bernie and Liberty as we work together to make Formula 1 the best it can be for the teams, promoters and fans for years to come."

The Brawn appointment sees him back in the sport several years after the end of his time with Mercedes, and not long after the release of his new book. He's been consulting to Liberty Media for several months.

"It's fantastic to be returning to the world of Formula 1," Brawn said. "I've enjoyed consulting with Liberty Media these last few months and I'm looking forward to working with Chase, Sean and the rest of the Formula 1 Team to help the evolution of the sport. We have an almost unprecedented opportunity to work together with the teams and promoters for a better F1 for them and, most importantly, for the fans."

Bratches has more than 27 years experience and at ESPN, most recently served as Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

"I'm very excited to be joining Formula 1 and contribute to the continued growth of this extraordinary global brand and sport," Bratches said. "Formula 1 is one of few truly global tier one sports, and I am encouraged by the manifold opportunities to materially grow the business, work closely with current and future sponsors, race circuits, television rights holders as well as create next generation digital and on-site race experiences to best serve the Formula 1 fans."

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Bernie once said that Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.. did not interest him, people that use social media are poor and poor people are not who he wants for F1 fans, he wants Rolex wearing Ferrari driving fans.

It has not been vary long that F1 broadcasts were in HD, maybe 5 years?   Everyone else had gone to HD and F1 was still in a 90's analog type of broadcast.

F1 is at least a decade behind NASCAR as far as coverage technology goes. What I see on NASCAR coverage is remarkable, how you can subscribe to channels as a fan and watch in car for a certain driver the entire race if you want.

F1 in the USA has a lot of ground to cover if they want fans.

If what I saw in Miami over the weekend is any indication of fan interest in anything other than NASCAR and Indy car they have a long uphill battle.

I know my F1 spending ban is now over, I am toying with a Austin 2017 trip.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Bottas signs his contract at Mercedes.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Testing for the 2017 season has begun, F1 has stated that this years rule changes should make the cars 5 sec a lap faster than last, so far Mercedes (who is creeping up on 1000hp now!) is just over 4 sec faster than their pole time last year at Barcelona.

However, most pundits are saying that due to the aero changes it will be almost impossible to pass the car in front of you, as the disturbance of the airflow from the car in front washes away all front end downforce of the car behind....IOW, no grip for the following car means they can't try any banzai moves.......this year could simple be one procession after another - all season.

So far in 2 days of testing Mercedes is fastest followed by the Ferrari and the Reds Bull.....Haas is showing solid mid field speed along with Force India, McLaren is slow and has replaced two engines already, Renault hasn't shown any real speed and Toro Rosso has already replaced one of their new Renault engines........shades of the 2016 season.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I don't give a hoot about laps times compared to last year.

What I do care about is that the 2017 F1 racecars are FINALLY back to sounding like racecars!!!   Have you heard them?   They SHRIEK again!!   It is a joyous sound.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

....and that's fine, but if it's just a procession, it's not much of a race - which is what I watch F1 to see - a race!

Wonder what's different that they're now so much louder and higher pitched? Did they relax the fuel usage flow requirement or the total amount used per race?

They've said all along they could get huge HP from these engines, but they short shift and run low RPMs to conserve fuel to meet the requirements in the sporting regs....

Edit: I just watched a vid on F1.com, they didn't really sound any different than last year's cars to me......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Nascar seems to fight the aerowash issue every couple of years. 

I agree, who cares how fast they go down the straight or lap times if it's just a parade because the air disturbance completely eliminates passing.  Do whatever needs to be done to eliminate the aero issue and put it back in the drivers hands. 

Really only enjoy F1 in the rain cause it eliminates the car and puts it back into the drivers hands.   
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on February 28, 2017, 11:02:51 AM

Edit: I just watched a vid on F1.com, they didn't really sound any different than last year's cars to me......

Maybe it's just wishful thinking (or listening) on my part, but the engines seem to sound better than last year.    Perhaps it's because all of the video I've heard is just a single racecar on the track at one time?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S