turbos

Started by 94touring, February 20, 2016, 10:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

LilDrunkenSmurf

MiniDave

Mini liked the idea so much they built them themselves......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

What will the intake portion look like?

94touring

Quote from: MPlayle on February 20, 2016, 11:38:22 AM
What will the intake portion look like?

That depends. I found hif44's used with needles that correspond to the boost which looked easy.

MiniDave

Who  is FF? Fusion Fabrication?

Do you have to use a spacer plate on turbos like on the supercharger kits to lower the compression ratio?

I went to their Facebook page, they make some beautiful stuff, but it's all racecar stuff isn't it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I suppose if you need lower compression you would.  These guys just make the manifolds.

MiniDave

Are they US or UK based?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

UK...the manifold and downpipe are a bit steep at $600.  I started thinking crazy ideas for the 1098.  I notice you can't buy high compression pistons for them, all you get is 8:5:1.  Might be a cool future project.

MiniDave

At 8.5 you wouldn't need a decompression plate if you don't get too crazy with the boost. Buy some ARP head studs and nuts tho.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Correct.  And I'm thinking that spare 940 head with countersunk valves would go nicely with it. 

Merlin

Not a fan of the setup. It looks like you will have to modify the firewall to make that setup fit.  Besides, turbos on the A series are a bit pointless. if you use some ricer-math and boost to a reasonable 7psi, you get 50% more power. Is that really worth the headache?
Engineering the Impossible

Vikram

I've been reading about this as in thinking about what to do next summer (hopefully not finishing building the car lol).
I've read that on the a series, people often prefer superchargers over turbos, as you get massive lag with turbos, even with small units.
What do you guys think about running a very small turbo at low boost, but with anti lag (probably done by an ecu)?
Should theoretically cut down on lag immensely, plus would sound fantastic. Obvious downsides are wear and manifold/turbo life.
But you don't have to run the antilag all the time right? Don't rally cars have it controlled by a switch?

94touring

You could compare turbos to cams, in that some are designed to produce power sooner in the rpms and some later.  You simply pick a spec turbo for the engine that makes power for how you normally drive.

MiniDave

If you use a turbo with a small turbine wheel, it spools very quickly and at very low rpms, so you have minimal lag if any at all, the tradeoff is that the smaller turbine doesn't breathe at higher rpms, so your power is limited on the upper end of the rev range, not a problem for a street driven car - in fact, I prefer an engine with more low down torque as you're rarely at redline when on the street.

There is no switch or ecu driven program to limit lag, it's all derived from the design of the intake, the size of the turbine, cam design and exhaust system.

The factory 1275 turbo made 90 hp IIRC......but the big advantage was the drivability in town.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

I see.
Dave, I was asking more about the anti lag system in wrc cars where they keep the turbo spooling all the time, never allowing it come off boost.
I remember a top gear episode where James may mentioned that it was controlled by a button fed through to the ecu.....may have been untrue.

94touring

Yeah unless you have exhaust flow, the turbo isn't doing much, certainly not producing boost.  I plan to upgrade the hot side of my rx7 turbo to gain some more on top end.  It's a little restrictive and the power curve drops off as it is now. 

MiniDave

Quote from: Vikram on July 14, 2016, 08:47:45 PM
I see.
Dave, I was asking more about the anti lag system in wrc cars where they keep the turbo spooling all the time, never allowing it come off boost.
I remember a top gear episode where James may mentioned that it was controlled by a button fed through to the ecu.....may have been untrue.

The way to do that is recirculate the pressure back thru the intake manifold when you're off throttle, rather than having the boost pushing against a closed throttle plate, normally that's an automatic function built into the design of the intake and turbo.....

The only time you build boost in a turbo system is when you're on the throttle...but who knows what those guys in the WRC come up with!  8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

He has a build thread on turbominis
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.php?p=vt&tid=169346

It starts almost 10 years ago, but you can jump to the current version.

I believe he makes one version of the manifold that does not require modification of the firewall.
I would say a number of people on turbominis push the envelope a bit. K heads and turbo injection...

The ERA was a "production" mini with a turbo and the bulkhead was modified. The plans for the modification required are available.

If I hit the lottery, I plan to buy an ERA and have some one build a K turbo injected engine for a different car...dreaming

Here is Matts project:

twisted tubes...

Merlin

Anti-lang system is devastating to a standard engine. It involves adjusting the timing so that the ignition of the gas in the cylinder happens when the exhaust valve is open. WRC cars do it because they are designed to last 50 hours or so. Your car would burn an exhaust valve in a matter of months. There is a reason that the Anti-Lag is connected to a switch... Minimize time.

Turbo selection is a trade-off. What is your HP goal? if you are looking at 175hp or so, the Saab GT17 turbo is where you want to be. I have looked a quite a few turbo maps, and it seems to be the one that will reduce lag and not choke out too much at the top end. If you want to avoid lag altogether... Twincharge would be a good, and expensive option.

I think that at some point you would have a hard time getting grip. Mini's are the worst at putting large gobs o power with the short wheelbase, FWD and skinny tires.

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

In stock form my 7 had twin turbos, spooled quick, great power as soon as you hit the gas.  But the last 3k rpms were pretty boring.  You can always fork out money on ball bearings to aid in spool too.  I can't imagine a turbo on a mini taking away anything.  Worse case is you have stock tq and hp the first 2500 rpms, then pulls like a train, albeit a small train.

jeff10049

I have a little turbo I really want to set up on a  850 just for fun But I need another mini.

Jeff

94touring

I have another minis!

jeff10049

I got this 50 chev pick up, well my wife has this 50 chevy pick up that needs to get done next but then I will be needing another mini for this turbo project i'm gonna do it. This truck will be cool though it's a street rod on nice frame with a small block and mostly done so maybe next summer I'll be looking for another mini a piece of junk is perfect so keep me in mind. it's only a 4000 mile road trip im due I think we went 3400 to get the last one.

tmsmini