Anyone like EDM? Electric Dance Music?

Started by Jims5543, February 17, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

If you do not stop reading here.

If you do read on.

So as to not make too much of an ass of myself.  I am on the brink of turning 50, I LOVE EDM, when I was a newlywed House Music, and Industrial Music was just starting out, more mainstream groups would be The Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk... there were many many smaller less known artists that were experimenting with faster beats, crazy sounds etc...

I never did drugs nothing, I drank but never any drugs, I just loved the music and the technology behind it.

Recently (4-5 years or so) I became a huge Deadmau5 or Joel Zimmerman from Toronto, I follow his Instagram feed which is fun, and I just subscribed to his Soundcloud account, his user name is "fuckmylife" 

He seems to throw a lot of whatever he is messing with up there, the last couple of days he has been remixing a Beastie Boys song and Jay Z song.  Which were cool.

Joel Zimmerman has a concert tour he is working on, it will only be in large arenas and he has hired on the help of an un-named movie producer and a video game production company as well as computer graphics companies and computer companies and is about to create what he is calling a complete immersion in his music, the concert is going to be mind blowing and like nothing you have ever seen before.  So I will be at my first EDM concert. *

I have always liked this music, especially with kids growing up, 95% of it is cursing free and is clean. So I can play my favorite songs with my kids around and not worry about them learning some bad words or phrases.

Maybe I like it because of my hyper active damn brain that functions weird and needs to be over stimulated to work right. I have no idea, I just know I like it as well as many genre's of music. From Country to Rock to old school Rap, there is not much I do not like.

Any other fans? Or am I that weirdo?

* I am toying with going to at least 1 day of the Ultra Festival in Miami this year too.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

LilDrunkenSmurf

28 year old checking in. Love EDM, but more the ones with vocals. Have never touched drugs.

I tend to listen to podcasts from Armin van Buuren, Hardwell, Paul van Dyke, Tiesto, Myon & Shane.

Top 2 songs right now are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWcwMsm-3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ItHLz5WEA

I don't want to embed due to the size the videos tend to be on here.

Edit:

Oh and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AorUIMeig

Jims5543

The lack of drugs is cool. Most all my friends that like this music avoid them too.

My nephew who is 21 just lost a good friend to Flakka in Miami, he want to a EDM Concert and after party took some Flakka was found the next day wandering the streets naked and running a 110 fever. Rushed to hospital and died moments after he arrived there.

He blames all of EDM for it saying they are all drug dealers making music to sell drugs. I did not argue he is hurting but he was wrong.

Just checked General Admission for Ultra is sold out, only $1,250 VIP tickets remain.  LOL Pass on that.

I will spring for the Deadmau5 tickets for sure, maybe even VIP for that one. A once in a lifetime experience, like attending an F1 race or traveling far.

I missed seeing Luciano Pavarotti in Miami many years ago, did not realize he was he was touring, he died a couple years later, missed a chance of a lifetime.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Quote from: LilDrunkenSmurf on February 17, 2016, 07:25:30 PM
28 year old checking in. Love EDM, but more the ones with vocals. Have never touched drugs.

I tend to listen to podcasts from Armin van Buuren, Hardwell, Paul van Dyke, Tiesto, Myon & Shane.

Top 2 songs right now are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWcwMsm-3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ItHLz5WEA

I don't want to embed due to the size the videos tend to be on here.

Edit:

Oh and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AorUIMeig

I like all those artists as well, I was really happy to see Tiesto get his own channel on Sirius and listen to it often.

This is one of my favorite vocal tracks from the Mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK1mLIeXwsQ

Here is his remix of the Beastie Boys Fuck you song. I love the background beat.

https://soundcloud.com/fuckmylife/fuck-you-too

John Gervais

I used to be a big Gary Numan and Kraftwerk fan, don't think it qualifies as dance music - I don't dance anyways.  Last night and again tonight I'm listening to The Psychedelic Furs.  I've a huge collection of 60's - '70's instrumental surf music, as well as 70's - '80's rock & roll (Boston, Van Halen etc...). 

I also enjoy banjo music, sunsets, Italian food and walks in the park.   77.gif

Edit:  Seriously, though, walks in the park aside, I like a lot of different music styles and have a pretty decent cd collection; opera, old-school new wave, banjo, prog rock, '60's psychedelic groovy stuff - all sorts of stuff.  I bought an electric guitar 2 years ago because there's a rockstar trapped inside - I can't play jack and my wooden fingers don't work fast enough or spread wide enough, but it's cool to make some noise and play some scales.  I've only been to a few concerts, Devo, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Aerosmith and had season tickets to the opera when I lived in Tucson.  But, I've got to say that I abhor rap.  In fact, I don't think they've made any decent music worth listening to since around 1985. 

No drugs here either, never did them, and didn't drink until I was of age - in fact, it really messed up partying at the university.  New York state raised the drinking age from 18 to 19 right in the middle of my freshman year, so legal and then not legal.  That was weird...  I never drank and drove, and even today, if Hyacinth and I will go out to a restaurant, she'll have a glass of wine and I'll have a Coke or a tonic water.  She thinks it's odd, but enjoys her wine.
- Pave the Bay -

MtyMous

27 year old dude that drives a mini here... uh... yeah, I like EDM. haha. But I'm with the smurf. I prefer vocals on mine. Even if it's remixed or not full vocals.

Same situation here. I never did drugs and never will. Had too many friends acting like idiots. I was straight laced and tracking hard to be the young professional. No time for Drugs. lol. I didn't even drink until I was of age. I'm "that" guy. haha. Had plenty of fun and went to parties, but never really had the desire to go that route. I think I have issues with not being in control, hence why I drive my own car to parties, etc.

Never been to a concert, but I'm on the lookout.

LilDrunkenSmurf

I went to AvB back in 2011. Great show, but weird being one of the few sober people. I'd love to go again, but not solo, and the wifey doesn't share my taste in music.

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: Jims5543 on February 17, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

Maybe I like it because of my hyper active damn brain that functions weird and needs to be over stimulated to work right. I have no idea, I just know I like it as well as many genre's of music. From Country to Rock to old school Rap, there is not much I do not like.

Same here. I can't lock into one genre. I have a very wide range of musical taste.  In the electronic area I like the heavier, more industrial stuff as well as Drum 'n Bass, some downtempo/Chill.  When I worked with my dad we'd listen to Rock 'n Roll and classical at times.  I never complained.  I just listened and liked it. I have an extremely varied i.pod and my Pandora artist list is pretty far and wide. 

Quote from: John Gervais on February 17, 2016, 08:05:59 PM
I used to be a big Gary Numan and Kraftwerk fan

Somewhere in my collection I have a TON of Kraftwerk stuff! 

This is probably one of the more exciting off topic threads I've read throughout the Mini forums lately. I mean besides threads that have been derailed entirely to a comedic level. 

Thanks for the shares and music videos.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

jedduh01

YEP _ Thumbs up!   
   Ive always kept in with what the 'kids" are listening to - but keeps you up to date.  Today I don't consider all if it dance music completley  =  EDM but Dubstep generally is more my kick.    Great to drive to !  get pumped up some.

Vice News  has a nice couple programs on the Dance scene - and concerts and yes the 'drugs that are associated' with the scene.  has been around and the scene for a Long time - but too its if you enjoy the music.

By this-  even the beats could be drugging

https://news.vice.com/article/audio-that-gets-you-high-is-alarming-authorities-in-saudi-arabia-and-lebanon

LOL!

Check out  "chillstep"   = Calmer side of dubstep = or re arranged slowed down beats to really chill to.

Jims5543

Sirius has a 6-7 EDM channels, Tiesto has one of them (listening now) and there is one called Chill. It is my morning coffee.

Very cool let keep this thread going if anyone has a cool track they want to share please do.

Good to see some young fekkers and old fekker like me ( I refuse to be old) all like the same Genre.

Jims5543

I stumbled across this You Tube video, this insane cat mixes trance for 8 hours straight. Great for background music while you work.

MiniDave

Good lord, an 8 hour vid on You Tube? I had no idea they'd let you upload something like this!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Hyacinth sent me to the shopping center to buy some of those scented soaps the other day (yeah, really my thing...   77.gif) and the store there had some music playing.  I asked what it was and was told 'Mazzy Star' - not half bad I thought, and thanks to YouTube found some albums to listen to before I ordered a CD. 

Found this video, which might have clouded my judgement - I found and ordered a couple of CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30COVA2ootw&index=11&list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ1fNKnawkpg3Ultr1lOo5jr
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

I am considering ordering some CDs now too.   ;D

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: John Gervais on October 20, 2016, 06:49:02 PM
Hyacinth sent me to the shopping center to buy some of those scented soaps the other day (yeah, really my thing...   77.gif) and the store there had some music playing.  I asked what it was and was told 'Mazzy Star' - not half bad I thought, and thanks to YouTube found some albums to listen to before I ordered a CD. 

Found this video, which might have clouded my judgement - I found and ordered a couple of CDs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30COVA2ootw&index=11&list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ1fNKnawkpg3Ultr1lOo5jr

So the video might have clouded your judgement a little, not a bad thing!

In the somewhat same genre of Mazzy Star is an artist Cat Power.  You should check her out if you liked Mazzy Star.  I recommend her most recent album "SUN" as well as "The Greatest" and an album of covers she did titled "The Covers Record".  All really good and a wide spectrum of her work. For good measure find some PJ Harvery too, particularly her album "Stories from the City - Stories from the Sea"!

John Gervais

Hey, you effervescent person, you!  Thanks for the tip - hope you're doing well, haven't heard from you in a while, the mini still OK?

It's weird how music pretty much stopped for me in the mid-80's, and how I'm still playing my 60's, '70's and 80's psychedelic, surf, rock, opera, new-wave and punk albums, many of which have been replaced by 'CD's' - there's a whole chapter I missed along the way when I got busy with 'growing up' and the implied perception of adulthood.

This 'Sun' album isn't bad either, looks like there'll be another browse through Amazon's website coming on soon...
- Pave the Bay -

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: John Gervais on October 21, 2016, 02:33:31 PM
Hey, you effervescent person, you!  Thanks for the tip - hope you're doing well, haven't heard from you in a while, the mini still OK?

It's weird how music pretty much stopped for me in the mid-80's, and how I'm still playing my 60's, '70's and 80's psychedelic, surf, rock, opera, new-wave and punk albums, many of which have been replaced by 'CD's' - there's a whole chapter I missed along the way when I got busy with 'growing up' and the implied perception of adulthood.

This 'Sun' album isn't bad either, looks like there'll be another browse through Amazon's website coming on soon...

My music collection consists of a wide range.  Here and there I'll grab something from a newer artist but I listened to a lot of CCR, Zeppelin, The Doors, etc. while building the Mini.  It felt appropriate!

To answer your question: The Mini is running great and I've just been ridiculously busy. I Just swapped out a few parts I had on loan and dialed in her Carberuator, along with new tires and an alignment I think she's ready for our next adventure in life. The last few months have been a whirlwind.  Got Married, went to Europe for a few weeks(bike from Brussles to Amsterdam, then hit up Norway), got home and the better half and I both immediately accepted jobs 8 hours from our current location.  We move this coming Sunday and are in the midst of trying to buy a house in the new town.  In all the chaos I got word today that Miss Mini and the VW Westfalia arrived safely this morning via car-hauler at their temporary location so that's a plus.

But yea... Back to music!

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

Current motivation....  Forgot this album existed. Shame on me.

MiniDave

Just noise to me......must be getting old!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on December 14, 2016, 06:03:05 PM
Just noise to me......must be getting old!

Did you ever see this movie in the 80's?

Of so the first track from Vegas is the title track from that movie.

The Crystal Method were pioneers in EDM much like the Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk.

MiniDave

No, on the movie......and no on the music too!  ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

I love the Dark Crystal movie, watched it many times growing up....I remember being excited  hearing  the giberish that Jen and the podlings spoke and it actually had some Serbo-Croation words scattered into it and that they used the words  properly, sort of.

The Labyrinth was great too.   I am trying to remeber  the music of the Dark Crystal movie , I just recall the main overture that seemed to play through out.

I heard that they are remaking the Labyrinth.

Jims5543

Quote from: stan360 on December 14, 2016, 10:36:28 PM
I love the Dark Crystal movie, watched it many times growing up....I remember being excited  hearing  the giberish that Jen and the podlings spoke and it actually had some Serbo-Croation words scattered into it and that they used the words  properly, sort of.

The Labyrinth was great too.   I am trying to remeber  the music of the Dark Crystal movie , I just recall the main overture that seemed to play through out.

I heard that they are remaking the Labyrinth.

My mistake, the first on the Vegas Album song was made after the movie and used samples from the movie in the song.

LoL Dave, so this is a get off my lawn moment I guess. 

Turbodave

How did I miss this thread???

Massive EDM fan here... I miss the real trance era from 10+ years ago, but there is some pretty good stuff out there right now...