68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Just got done putting together my master list of parts.  I'm looking at over 4 grand worth of stuff not including shipping or tax from the UK.  Or paint and body work   :o   

MiniGene

I know how you feel.  My wish list on MM is over 5K, and it doesn't even have the fun stuff like wheels and chrome.  One of the reasons my mini is going to be a rat so to say.  I'll be happy just to get it running and stopping.  :)

94touring

The suspension added up fairly quickly, then all the little new things I need or want.  Panels to finish it off are around a grand after shipping, then figure in wheels and tires.  However when it is done one of these years lol, it will be a brand new truck.     

94touring

I did get the brand new front end panel for the pickup, a new windshield, and a brake master cylinder since I left NC.  Next step is getting it shipped here once I get the house thing situated. 

MEhinger

I've got a new pick-up bed floor, heel board and fillers and floor pans with sills waiting. But the van is on the rotisserie with the same set of parts waiting for welding. I just need time and motivation.

94touring

Only major panels left for me to order are the floors.  I'm hoping this year, but I have a feeling I'm going to be busier than usual.  So long as I can get the truck here and at least start on the areas I'd feel good about it. 

Hayman9644

Need pics Dan I havent seen the truck in awhile.

94touring

No real latest pics, but this would be it.  I did get a new front end panel, so whenever we get this house, I'll have it shipped out here and try to get something done to it.

Willie_B

Sad little guy. Just waiting his turn for some TLC. :(

94touring

Quote from: Willie_B on March 07, 2010, 06:27:49 PM
Sad little guy. Just waiting his turn for some TLC. :(

I even remember you saying when I bought it "glad you're buying it cause I'll know you'll do something with it"...4 years ago.   ;D  Ah well, I've done other minis since then, just waiting for the proper moment to strike on this one I guess.  

gasmini

Quote from: 94touring on March 07, 2010, 12:35:41 PM
No real latest pics, but this would be it.  I did get a new front end panel, so whenever we get this house, I'll have it shipped out here and try to get something done to it.

Did you get the regular pickup front panel or just a panel from a sedan?

94touring

Panel from a sedan like whats on it right now.  I'm not a huge fan of the original front panels for pickups. 

gasmini

I have been wondering how hard it is to cut out the front panel on my pickup and use it for easier access to the motor by using quick release bolts.

94touring

Yeah makes it tricky to change the oil filter and take things like the starter off with the non removable grill.  I guess if you did cut it out, you'd have to do a good job, replace it with a chrome grill and chrome surrounds to hide the cut? 

gasmini

Have you seen anybody cut it out and still use the original grill and not a chrome one? Or would that just look plain nasty?

94touring

I have a feeling it would look nasty.  I was just looking at your front to visualize how to maybe do it, and I'd think you'd pretty much have to use chrome surrounds to cover the cuts. 

Richard1

94touring... you said you were from/in Tulsa. Any used parts places around there?
I'm considering a similar pickup, but needs at least an engine/trans. I'm in Bolivia, but I import 3 or 4 40 ft containers a month from Tulsa, so it is a convenient ship point.

That's where I got the front suspension for my Corvair restoration.

94touring

I'm sure there is but not that I'm familiar with.  My buddy John is a member on here and he may chime in. 

94touring

Gets picked up in the morning!  Should be here around the 13th the guy said. 

94touring

Its officially here and in my garage  4.gif  I got a good look at the floors while it was on top of the truck that hauled it here, talk about some rust.  Pieces were falling off while we were getting it down.  I guess the guy got pulled by the DOT on his way out here, but they just wanted to take pictures of it! 

94touring

Ok started spraying pb blaster to free up bolts that will need to come off and started taking things apart. 

joltfreak

looks like there will a a lot of work ahead....
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

94touring

Started taking the air chisel to the front end to break it loose.  Whoever "restored" the truck before also decided to weld on the lower door hinge on the right side, as well as the seam cover in a spot, kinda funny.   

94touring

Todays work, a half hour to break a few things loose.  I guess my doors weren't coming off, there are 3 layers of A-panel!  Lots of thick welds in the scuttle area.  I should have good weigh reduction by time I'm done.

94touring

Got the metal off the right side finally.  Took a lot of air chisel.  It would appear the last person to repanel the truck simply put new panels over old.  Also for those of you wondering how to easily remove undercoat, run the air chisel over it and the force/vibrations knock it right off.  I was pleased to find some perfectly shiney paint under some of it and no rust.