68 Mini Pickup Project

Started by 94touring, June 27, 2009, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Did a bunch of sand blasting and primered the inside bottom.  Here's before and after shots.   71.gif

Willie_B

Must have been some high build primer to fill all those holes in the floor pan. 71.gif 11.gif

94touring

Haha, yeah thats all it was.   If I had to do it over again, I would have just ordered the whole floor in one complete piece.  Took awhile to weld the perimeter and grind it up nice.  Happy with the end result though. 

MiniGene

94touring

Thanks man.  I should take a picture of the sandblaster setup I'm using.  Bought bags of play sand, filtered it out, and wear a respirator, goggles, and wrap towels around my head.  Sure does make a mess but really cleans all these hard to get to places quick and easy.  Really looking forward to doing the engine bay when I get more time. 

macmanron

Looks Very nice, are those two strips where the subby bolts too extra metal??? Stiffer, beefed up??? 
1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

Yeah, if you look closely in the rotten floor pics, you will see what was left of a strip of metal there to support the subby.  I assumed that was original and recreated using 18 gauge.  And actually it was the same piece of metal I test sprayed orange on, and the face down part still has orange on it.   Seam sealed around everything once I was done.   

Edit:  found a pic in the gallery from Deans car that shows it a little better. 

macmanron

1966 Austin Cooper S,1965 Morris Mini Minor Traveller, 1965 Triumph TR4A, 1965 Triumph Spitfire(project)

94touring

No I did not.  I believe I was in Arizona when he had that done.  Although I hear he needs work done in the rear of the car.  I stay so busy flying these days its gona be hard for me to dedicate time to someone elses project, unless they have time on their hands.   

94touring

Bed panels are leaving the  UK today-ish.      4.gif

macmanron

Good to meet you yesterday!!

94touring

Yeah I enjoyed checking out the wagon and going for a ride in the S!

94touring

Latest update, bed is at GB carparts and being packed and shipped this way.  Next week the weather should be good while I'm off work for a few days and gona knock this sucker out.  Then its block sanding time after stripping the rest of the body. 

94touring

94touring

So fitment seems good, will need a tweak here and there.  Started blasting the engine bay while primer dried.  Gona be a lot of work the next few days. 

AcesLow

94touring

Alright did my final fitments/tweaks and got her in place and started the spot welding bonanza.  Then I ran out of wire...so tomorrow will finish it up. 

Painted things up before throwing it in.

Nicholasupton

How are you going to address the gaps between the top of the heelboard/ rear subframe mounting panel the the load floor?

94touring

Seam sealing all perimeters.  Will just have to build it up the extra 1/4 inch or so at every low spot. 

Was able to fab up the lower cab section (previously rotten) where it meets the bed and weld that in today.  Took a lot of welding and grinding and I'm still not done dressing it up.  Looks a million times better than what was previously patched in there.   Gone for a few weeks then back at it.  Bed is spot welded up though.     

batman1usa

4.gif I enjoy checking out the build from time to time.  It's like I'm helping but staying out of the way.   11.gif
by the way, is that my routiserie(was that my routiserie)?  If not it looks like it but with wheels.

1.gif

94touring

Ah thanks!  I'm finally gona be back in town Monday to finish the bed.  Yep that's your old rotiss with a few mods. 

94touring

Been awhile since I've done anything.  Staying busy at work and doing other things I suppose.  Anyways, I fabricated the lip along the rail inside the cab and started prepping around the welds I ground down.  Still plenty of sanding yet to do there.  I also seam sealed along the perimeter of the bed before sand blasting. 

94touring

Today I was able to clean up the rear end of the cab and throw down some primer.  Not exactly easy or fun sanding the lower part. 

Heres the before photo showing how patched and ratty it was where the cab met the bed.   

94touring

Alrighty finishing up the bed today... sand blasted the bed floor and insides, cleaned things up a bit, and threw on a coat of sealer primer.  Time to tear into the cab side of things and then continue body prep for paint.   

94touring

Stripped the body today, combination of sanding disc on an angle grinder and sand blaster.  While minor, I was surprised at the amount of surface rust under the 1/4 inch of body filler on sides of the body.  Then it was expoxy sealer primer and filler primer in preperation for block sanding.