Completed and painted shell $8000

Started by 94touring, February 07, 2016, 06:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Pick your color and trade in your old shell for a discount!  One mk3+ shell available. 

MtyMous

Sweet baby Jesus... that first blue looks almost like anodized Al. What color is that? I want that on my next rebuild.

94touring

MtyMous

That is the best Yahiti Blue paint job I've ever seen. I love that color anyway, but that one looks like it's painted over chrome. Great job man. Almost as good as my car... lol. Anyone looking for another example of Dan's handywork can also check out my car. For the quality you're getting here, this thing is absolutely worth it.

94touring

I think one guy was already busting my chops on mini parts trader on fb.  But considering a heritage shell cost 10k+ NOT painted, and quality paint jobs these days start at 5k, and the added bonus of a trade in...not seeing what the problem is.   8.gif

jedduh01

What a good opportunity having a solid shell and to offer in the final color to the final buyer.
I guess it would be more in the final buyer's details = but if a buyer understood the cost breakdown - it all makes sense.

X amount for shell that needs rehab,
X amount for metal replacement - making the shell solid
x for - paint prep ( in to  primer and flat )
x for Final paints.
DONE and done  = 8K makes sense to me, man's gotta pay himeself for labor and time.

94touring

Restoration work certainly isn't cheap.  Panels and materials are pricey.  Then of course there's labor.  Anybody looking to restore their rusted out shell is getting a good deal. 

Nicholasupton

It looks like a good deal, if you need a rollup window car. I know that as a shop that does rust repair, and mini restorations I can't touch the 8k price, as most here run 12-14k+ after all the metal work to bring them back to factory fresh.

94touring

Exactly Nic!  I'm fortunate in that I have very little overhead.  At 8k I'm not exactly lining my pockets either.  Trying to simply get rid of a shell honestly. 

MtyMous

If I had the money (and none of my sanity left) I'd buy it myself and do a very aggressive build.

MPlayle

As if your build isn't already aggressive enough?

:-\

94touring

94touring

Yeah.  Sold as in I have a new one to sell lol.  This 67 S shell might have a buyer.  Holding off listing till I find out more info and get the car next week.

94touring

In about 10 years when I retire at 46  20.gif

gr8kornholio

Ok, wait a minute.  Just stumbled across this thread and that tahiti blue mini picture looked way too familiar.  Dan, did you sell that to a guy in San Antonio by chance?  There was a tahiti blue mini for sale on miniguy.com http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/tahitiblue1275/ with that exact picture in the description.  It is now owned by a friend of mine and Bruce here in the Dallas area.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

Yeah I built it for a guy in Indianapolis a few years ago.

94touring

MiniDave

The shop has come a long way too, from a dirt floor pole barn to a nice clean, well lit, heated and cooled concrete floor house/shop!

Is that your pickup in the corner, Dan?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MPlayle

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 01, 2017, 06:23:55 PM
Ok, wait a minute.  Just stumbled across this thread and that tahiti blue mini picture looked way too familiar.  Dan, did you sell that to a guy in San Antonio by chance?  There was a tahiti blue mini for sale on miniguy.com http://www.miniguy.com/vehicles/tahitiblue1275/ with that exact picture in the description.  It is now owned by a friend of mine and Bruce here in the Dallas area.

And I am the one that bought it from the guy in Indianapolis and then later sold it to the guy in the Dallas area.

Small world.

gr8kornholio

QuoteAnd I am the one that bought it from the guy in Indianapolis and then later sold it to the guy in the Dallas area.

Small world.

Well that's cool.  I figured there was someone in San Antonio restoring minis cause I see them regularly on minimania and miniguy. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MPlayle

Not "restoring" Minis.  I just like to tinker on them, play with one for a bit, then try the next one.

I have done a couple "projects" in the past.  My current Moke will be a major project starting a little bit after the Spring Drive in Texas.  I have to keep it on the road "as-is" for now in order to lead the drives.

On the Tahiti Blue Mini, I made the final trace for a brake issue and converted it from SPI to carb.  The conversion cured some hesitation issues in the fuel injection system - likely due to aging sensors that had become NLA.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on March 02, 2017, 03:11:37 PM
Not "restoring" Minis.  I just like to tinker on them, play with one for a bit, then try the next one.

I have done a couple "projects" in the past.  My current Moke will be a major project starting a little bit after the Spring Drive in Texas.  I have to keep it on the road "as-is" for now in order to lead the drives.

On the Tahiti Blue Mini, I made the final trace for a brake issue and converted it from SPI to carb.  The conversion cured some hesitation issues in the fuel injection system - likely due to aging sensors that had become NLA.

Wait. So it has a 1275?   Because I think the current owner thinks it has a 998. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

It's a 1275.  Was spi when I built it.  The master cylinder needed a gasket to shim it enough to keep from locking the brakes.

MPlayle

Yes, a 1275.

The posting I made with MiniGuy clearly stated a 1275 SPI engine converted to carb.  I believe the new owner's first name is Luis.  If you get a picture of the engine bay showing the area around the radiator top mount and t-stat housing, I can verify the plumbing in of the temperature sensor I did so that the factory gauge still worked.  Also, the wiring harness arrangements along the clutch housing side for where the ECU was removed.

There is a detailed thread here that has details and pictures of the conversion.