1275 A+ Engine Build

Started by MiniDave, January 31, 2016, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Anyone know the correct number of teeth on the pinion on a Verto starter? I know they're different from the pre-Vertos.....

Second, anyone seen a starter where the mounting holes on the starter are threaded? All the ones I've seen the threads are in the bell housing.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm in Canada today so no texting.  My starter/flywheel not meshing?

MiniDave

I'm not sure this starter is from a Mini......and it seems to have the wrong number of teeth to mesh with a Verto starter ring.
It works tho, whatever it's for....

It also has threads in the mounting ears, Mini starters don't - the bolts pass thru them into the bell housing.

I found I have another old Verto starter after all, but it's dead.

Made the cover plate for the bell housing breather, this engine still has the front cover breather and a port on the valve cover, but it could use the bell housing one also.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Wrong starter, that's for the early cars, you need a pre-engaged style. I believe all the pre-engaged starters are the same.

I pulled the transmission side covers off to change the pot joint seals, but found I didn't have any side cover gaskets, so we'll need those too.

I thought you ordered a trans gasket set but I don't have one. I have head set and conversion set (to mount engine to gearbox) but not the actual trans set. We can order just those two side cover gaskets, that's all I need.

This is the style of starter......GXE4527

Side gaskets are......GUG705567GM....need 2

Or side gasket without sealer - 22A1611....again, need 2

I have the shift shaft seal kit and the pot joint seals.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

More info....the starter you sent is not from a Mini, the smaller one in these pics is a Verto style pre-engaged starter from a Mini, you can clearly see the differences, plus the one you sent only has 7 teeth on the gear, the Verto pre engaged has 9.

First pic, starter on the bottom is a Mini Pre-engaged (unfortunately it's no good) see the difference in size and the location of the ears and gear drive opening.

Second pic Mini starter is on the right, note the difference in the opening for the gear drive in relation to the solenoid

Third pic, Mini starter, holes in the mounting ears are not threaded

Fourth pic, non-mini starter hole is threaded.

Maybe you have another one lying around the shop?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Been so long thought it was the early style.  Pretty sure that one came off this engine but can order a new one if it doesn't work.

MiniDave

The Mini one might have been yours but I thought it was one I had....it was in with my box of old Mini parts and looked like it had been there a while, but either way - it doesn't work so we need one.....also those two gaskets.

Maybe the other one is off an RX7?   ;D

I posted the part numbers above.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

While waiting for the last parts to arrive, Dan and I are making a plan on how to get some color shot on this engine, so it will look as good as it goes! Stay tuned to see what color he chooses!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Leftover $250 a quart red lol. 

MiniDave

Finally got the starter mounted, I've been under the weather for a couple of weeks and my heart Doc says it might have been a reaction to the cortisone shot they gave me for my knee.

It took several hours of slightly enlarging the hole in the bell housing to get it to fit, but now it does and it works, I only cranked it over a little, just enough to see that it works.

Next up - fire up the 1098 that's currently mounted in the engine test bed and make sure all systems with it and the stand are go, then it will be time to swap the hot rod motor in and see what happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Just bad castings or something?

MiniDave

I'm not  sure, I mean there used to be a starter in there, right? But this new one just did not fit, even tho the machine work on the starter nose looked 1st class....it didn't take much to get it to go in, I just used some 200 grit paper and worked the hole open a tiny bit, maybe a few thousandths and it fit - snugly.

I cranked it over just a bit to make sure the teeth engaged properly - which they do.

Still need to do a final set up on the dizzy too, then fill it with oil and crank up oil pressure. Oh, and I want to change out the shift shaft seal too before I put any oil in it.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Today was a big day, I pulled the 1100 out of the engine stand and bolted in the 1275 (1310?) for the first time. There are a number of difference between the A and A+ motors and even more between the MPi head and a regular one, so I'm having to make a few modifications, both to the mounting and to the wiring.

In the next few days I'll get the oil pressure pumped up then I'll give it a go......if it starts and sounds OK I'll go ahead and run the cam in, then let it cool down overnight and retorque the head and reset the valve clearances. Final tuning will have to wait for Dan as I don't have the intake manifold he's going to use so I'll be running it on the single HIF38 I used on the 1100.

I have to work tomorrow and probably on Tuesday too, but I'll post up a video as things happen, fingers crossed it all works correctly (of course it will!   ;D )

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

If that a breather on the front of the valve cover?  Never seen one like that.   Looks like a homemade solution.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Yeah, we'll make a block off plate for that......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Getting closer to making some noise....today I cranked up oil pressure for the first time. Oops...........sorry about the sideways video, I don't know how to turn it around. also, check out the pressure reading.......

100 psi+ is too high, so I'm gong to swap out the ball style relief valve for a plunger style....also I have several different springs I can try....it should be around 60-70 cranking on cold oil.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK that's better....80 psi cranking cold is still a bit high, but we'll see what it does when it starts. I still have the ball type relief valve in it as that's the style Dan wanted. At least now I'm sure that it's relieving the pressure and not stuck. Result!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hey better than my near zero psi I've been running!

MiniDave

Yeah, my green car scares me sometimes....I think it might have a sticking plunger.....I'm going to change it out too. I still may put the plunger in instead of the ball and see what it does. It should be 60-70 cold, 80 is not a problem but it doesn't need that much pressure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I've heard that turning a small relief behind the plunger's seat around mid-way up the plunger's shank alleviates many of the problems associated with debris getting caught between the plunger and the casting's wall - jamming the plunger and sinking oil pressure.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Its. A. LIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEE!   ;D

Pissing water out of the thermostat housing, going to have to figure out what's up with that before I go any further. It definitely has a different sound than the 1100 I had on there before, deeper and more bark to it but it started easily and ran smoothly enough.....so I'm pleased so far. The reason I kept fiddling with the carb is that you're supposed to keep the revs at 2000 or so to break in the cam.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Whoo hoo  4.gif. What rpm was that?

MiniDave

The tach shows in the vid - 2K

After it cools down again I'll fix the water leak, put the fan back on and start it again. I'm also going to swap out the needle and jet for the larger one I bought for my HIF44 so I can get it to run properly - right now the choke has to be on a bit for it to run at all.

Then I'll fire it up again and run it for 20 min or so at 2K to bed in the cam,  tomorrow I'll retorque the head and reset the valves then run it some more. after that it's all yours.

Good things so far - no oil leaks.....no transmission noises...engine sounds "normal" although they do make a racket when you record them.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad