1275 A+ Engine Build

Started by MiniDave, January 31, 2016, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

MiniDave

OK, give me a head's up when you're ready to submit the parts order......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Just as soon as the bank says I get to spend money lol.  Shouldn't be too much longer. 

MiniDave

No rush on my end, I've got plenty of projects to keep me busy........

I need to do a cam belt on the Wife's Audi - that's a MAJOR job on this car......like, remove front end, then remove front end of engine!

I also need to do some work on the Blue Clubby before we head to Sandy Eggo, and I always need to do things on Buzz.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Did some more engine parts cleanup in anticipation of this build getting going soon.....

Couple of notes to anyone who might be doing a project like this
1) Don't tear the engine down til you're ready to send it off to the machine shop and get it ready to build - the amount of rust I'm finding on internal engine parts is surprising....
2) Don't use cloth bags to store parts in, they attract moisture, not to mention mud dauber nests - I've found 3 so far! Plastic zip lock bags are much better. The two smaller nests in the pic were up under the heads of the pistons!

Some of these parts will work just fine in another engine, the pistons, cam and rockers for sure.....but we wouldn't reuse the lifters no matter if they were clean, they're worn badly.

The gudgeon pins are pressed into the rods, and required a substantial push from my 20 ton press to get them moving. Once in motion they pressed out without a fuss....

Oh, and the mechanical fuel pump is toast, either plan for an electric or get a new mechanical on the list. If you're going with an electric need the blockoff plate.

Also, be sure to get all new locktabs, for the crank pulley, cam and all the tabs in the drop gear housing, and the one for the clutch end of the crankshaft

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

A byproduct of pulling it apart in a barn years ago.  Have I mentioned how much I like my new shop?

MiniDave

Yes, let's hear it for clean, dry, well lit and no dirt floor!  4.gif

Again, I'm only saying this for the benefit of those who might be going to pull their engine....all I'm saying is that it would have been better to leave the engine assembled, you don't lose parts that way and everything inside stays nice and oily as long as you wrap the engine up in a thick trash bag or something....if you're not ready to build it, leave it together and protected.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

40 over high compression pistons and rings ordered.  Was going to have them delivered straight to you Dave but I had a few other things I needed and couldn't split this order up.

MiniDave

Cool, I'll watch for them.

I'll be in Ca from June 3 - 14th at MMW......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Pistons came today so I took them down to the machine shop, they may have the block done mid next week, but I'll be in California at MMW till the 12th or so.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Picked up the block and crank today - everything looks great - for the prices they charge they do really good work. Block was hot tanked twice, bored and finish honed, crank rod journals were ground 10 under as the #1 was just under tolerance. We could have let it go but for only $95 to grind the journals it's money well spent. I was happy to see the block cleaned up at 40 over, that leaves another overbore if it's ever needed.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Very exciting  4.gif.

Nice white socks.

MiniDave

Chiggers are bad this time of year.....unless you want otherwise, I'll just give it a coat of self etch primer and leave the color to you - or I can give it a coat of engine paint as a base and you can color over that.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

No need.  I'll derust, seal, paint, and clear.  Anyone have any super cool color schemes or designs?

MiniDave

So, no primer/sealer /self etch stuff either?

As for color scheme, that kinda depends on which car it goes into to me - for example if it's going to wind up in the P'up I might want at least the block in body color, maybe the head silver to match all the rest of the aluminum......

Color scheme is such a subjective choice.

Red, black, Morris green and yellow are so common, I'd do anything but those if you want it to look custom and cool.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's going in the blue mini. I have a 1275spi going in the truck. 

Yeah no etch or anything.

MiniDave

Well, again blue block and maybe white head to go with the car's paint scheme? Or blue block and aluminum head?

Too match-matchy?

When you look at pics online what you mostly see are red, then green and a few in blue, and they're usually monochromatic, frequently including the transmission. So I like to break it up by painting the trans/bell housing etc in silver. Adding the head in aluminum with a chrome or alloy valve cover would top it off.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

I'd go with Chrysler Hemi orange, think it would look good against the blue.

Dunno if you've seen the POR15 color chart -

- Pave the Bay -

94touring

This week have one order of random odds and ends Dave needs as well as have a Kent 266 cam and lightened twin vernier timing chain on the way so we can actually get some stuff together.  Kept going back and forth between cams but feel good after much research.  At this point in time I think I'm set on a Keith Calver fast road head and his 1.4 rockers.   

MiniDave

Oh boy! Presents!   71.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

While waiting for some more parts to arrive, I've started working on getting the block ready....today I cleaned all the oil and water passages, bearing saddles and cleaned every threaded hole in the block with the appropriate tap. A lot of people don't bother to do this but unless you do you can't get accurate torque on the fastners and even tightening. It's tedious but a must if you're going to "do it right."

After I got everything cleaned up I tapped in the core plugs, next I'll go ahead and assemble the pistons to the connecting rods. I could install the pistons in the bores, but the cam and lifters should go in before the crank so I'll wait for the new cam, vernier cam gear and double row timing chain to come in before I install the pistons in the block and drop in the crank.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I need to get one of those hammers  ;D

MiniDave

You need several, small, medium and large.....here you go, $19 for all 5 at Harbor Freight!

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-fiberglass-handle-ball-pein-hammer-set-39217.html

Plus one of these for good measure.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-12-lb-hardwood-drilling-hammer-67816.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Every time I'm there and have a handful of items, I go to buy the set but can't physically carry anything else.  Someday though.