1275 A+ Engine Build

Started by MiniDave, January 31, 2016, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Rod clearances checked out perfectly (now that we have the right sized bearings!) so those are in and torqued down....

My Harbor Freight torque wrench died so I went to my backup, the electronic device I used to calibrate my HF wrench!

I had forgotten that when you use a duplex chain you have to modify the plate and use some countersink screws instead of bolts.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

:-[

Sure is pretty in there! 

I still haven't pulled my engine to install the X-pin diff and either install the new duplex kit or switch back to a simplex timing chain.  I read on KC's website that the simplex chain has around 40% less drag than the duplex, so if I can source a pair of good, late-model simplex gears, I'll sell the new Rollmaster duplex kit, buy KC's big-pin simplex chain and do the swap.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

This is a high HP build, we're expecting about 90HP so we want to give it every chance to stay together, normally I'd run a single chain, they last about 100K and for most engines they're just fine.....as long as you use a good quality one.

You can see we're using a vernier adjustable timing gear too......we also have a lightened flywheel and clutch assembly, a fairly hot cam, high compression pistons, 14:1 rockers and a KC head to finish it off, so Dan did not scrimp on the specs for this one.

I wish he would have let me paint it as I hate to send an engine out looking somewhat scruffy but he IS the painter in the group, so.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

I am running one of KC's simplex chains. Probably have over 12,000 miles on by now. Looked like some good research had been done by him so I figured why not.

towjoe

Be sure to use IWIS timing chain. Either the Simplex or the Duplex.
These the best ones to use.
Regards
towjoe  77.gif

MiniDave

Well, things are getting serious now.....she's mounted to the engine stand!

Took me almost an hour to do it, between moving stuff around so I could set up the hoist, moving stuff around so I could free up the engine stand, moving stuff around so I could get the two close enough together to mount the engine etc, etc ,etc - I need a bigger shop! Or maybe less stuff.......

Nah.

So today I modified the plate so I could use tapered screws - most of the dual chain kits come with the screws but this one didn't - that's OK tho, I prefer to use an allen screw than the phillips they usually come with. Once I cut the screws to length I used a little blue locktite and it all went together smoothly - still have to set the final cam timing tho. Need a degree wheel and to set up my dial indicator, plus I'll need to email off and see where KC recommends I set it.

Ran into another issue tho, the timing chain cover will have to be modified to clear the chain, this collar will have to be removed and I've read that some folks have to bang out the depression the crankcase vent attaches to, which can lead to other clearance issues with the fan belt and such. I wonder if someone makes an aftermarket cover that doesn't require all that modification?

Edit:Found one at DSN, £165 tho..... http://www.dsnclassics.co.uk/mini-parts-shop/mini-engine-gearbox/block/timing-cover-kit-retrosport/  Nice aluminum casting, and includes a breather. I understand you have to flatten the breather can for the duplex kits for fan clearance on the tin ones too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

More.....

Modifications to the timing chain cover just weren't a big deal, I cut out the collar and used the press to remove the small intrusion by the crank gear, you can hardly tell I did anything to it but now it fits and doesn't drag. As Edd would say - Result!

Clearance from the top of the piston crown to the top of the block is .007 - perfect.

Since the head is bare I bought a MiniSpares kit that has all the ancillary nuts and studs for the head, I also bought one that attaches the trans to the block and the one that attaches the rear cover and clutch cover. Since I got this engine in pieces most of the nuts, bolts and studs were missing anyway.

We also bought MiniSpares high tensile strength head bolt kit, the old ones were in good shape but spending as much as Dan did on the head it just makes sense to use new stuff in critical areas like this.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Vikram

Will you be painting the block? If so what paint will you be using?

MiniDave

Dan will be doing that, I don't know what color he decided on - I'm curious too......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I've decided I need to make a better adaptor for my engine stand, but I'm having a difficult time finding the round tubing that will fit my stand, it's a weird size. I may have to have someone turn something down for me.

I have had Mini engines bolted on from the end too, can't decide which works better....no matter tho, either way it has to come off the stand when I attach the transmission, so I need a different solution.

I've seen several different designs, most bolt on like I did here - at the rear alternator bracket mount and where the oil filter housing bolts on - those are good solid points but then you can't bolt many of the front components on either.

One thing's for sure, being able to rotate the engine as I build it is worth the effort of building an adaptor!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Will probably use some of this expensive red paint I have sitting on the shelf. $200 a quart.  I love when I run out and need another pint at the very end.

MiniDave

Finally found the spacer kit for the rockers.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

The replacement set should arrive tomorrow..... ::)

Need to run up to Vicky Brits and gets some little odds and ends tomorrow after school.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

What's wrong with the spacer kit?
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Oh nothing, he just misplaced the first kit so ordered a 2nd one...then found the 1st one lol.

MiniDave

Turns out they didn't have any, so I cancelled the order.

But that's the way it always works, you can't find a tool so you buy a new one and the old one magically appears when you get back to the shop!  ::) :-[ 8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have a lot of extra parts. I forget I have them and order more of the same. 

MiniDave

When it comes to Mini parts, if I need one I order two cause I know I'll need another at some point....so far it means I have a lot of extra little Mini gubbins sitting in boxes, but I learned my lesson when Dooder had the slave cylinder I needed in his boot that time on our Eureka Springs run!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha, partly why I ordered two stud kits.  At that price how could I not!

John Gervais

:D

I know why my garage is shrinking.
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Took the little engine that could up to school and set it up on one of the mills to bore and tap the extra two cylinder head stud holes, took an hour to get it square to the surface in all three axis, but they turned out perfectly!

That allowed me to put the head on, torque it down and adjust the valves this morning, and now I'm installing all the little odds and ends before I mate it to the gearbox and set up the back end and clutch.....I still need to set the final cam timing too.

However, I need the tube that goes from the oil port over to the oil filter housing, and I need the housing too - anyone have a spare they don't need?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

What is the thing on the front flat surface of the valve cover?  Is it an Air breather port?

Time to paint! make it pretty! or its gonna rust sitting on the stand!