shocks. standard or shortened

Started by 94touring, January 23, 2016, 01:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

As I've just put hi los on the 74 to alleviate the partially sagging and subsequent tire rubbing, shocks are on the to do list as the ones on the car are standard and probably 40 years old.  I intend to go with gaz shocks since I like the adjustability feature.  They offer standard height as well as lowered.  My car will be setup to ride lower than stock but high enough I'm not rubbing...basically I'm just shy of 2.5 inches of gap between the 10" tires and fender flares.  Do I go with standard height or lowered height?

MiniDave

I think standard shocks will work fine....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

I can't measure my clearance right now is it's covered in snow....

I went with GAZ shocks and adjustable cones.  I went with the lowered shocks....working great...no rubbing with 032 and 6" wheels

94touring

With just myself driving I may go with 2 and a 1/4th but loaded up with people looks like 2.5" is more desired.  So that's kind of my range. 

John Gervais

Wouldn't be a bad idea to also invest in a pair of repositioned upper shock mountings for the front - Personally, I'd go with the lowered units.
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Saw the new mounts, thought the same thing. 

John Gervais

I just remembered that I had an article which could help you in determining if your new dampers suit your intended ride height.

I think the table I posted earlier is still relevant regarding dimensions.  Personally, I'd go with KYB AGX if I were to go with adjustables, otherwise, the KYB Gas-A-Justs are a really versatile unit.
- Pave the Bay -

mascher

John, do you have any other PDFs from that series of articles? I would certainly like to read them if possible.

Thanks,

Kelley

John Gervais

I wish I did - if you ever find any, please share them with me!

I love the way the article is written -
- Pave the Bay -