Bonnet/Boot compatibility.

Started by SoCalMiniFan, January 07, 2016, 11:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

I've come up on an ad for several Bonnet's and Boot Lids. 

On my car those are both dented in awkward places and would be easier to just replace then try to bang out.

All bonnets and boot lids he has are in VERY good condition, I would just need to re-paint them to match.

He says they're all for a 70-72 Mini Cooper and his ad is vague as far as details, from the badges I can tell these are NOT for a 70-72 car.
From the pictures what I've concluded is that he has:

1- Rover Bonnet (I'm assuming this from the badge)
1- Mkii Cooper S Bonnet w/lip for grille (again from the badge)
1- Mkii Cooper S Boot Lid (again from the badge)

Would any of these work on my Mkiii?
Because of the hinge placement on the Bonnet would it be a matter of getting the proper hinges or is it more in-depth then that?

Is the Boot Lid different from Mkii to Mkiii?

*Edit* - Upon blowing the image up to super size for blind eyes it appears the Bonnet Hinge placement is pretty close to the edge making me feel that this would be compatible with my car. 6" from edge placement (Mki/mkii) vs. 1.25" from edge placement (mkiii/later). Anything else that would make this NOT compatible with my car?
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

94touring

Compatible.  In fact I test fitted a heritage mk1 lid on a mk3 car not that long ago before painting it.  The mk1 bonnets had a different hinge location mount point I believe.  Otherwise the only major difference is some have the lip for the chrome and some do not.  It's a $20 piece to add one on and a few spot welds. 

94touring

Also don't scrap your dented up bonnet and boot lid, I may want them for parts. 

SoCalMiniFan

Sounds good.  I just contacted the guy about the parts, he doesn't have a price listed, it's down on the Mexico/US boarder, I threw out what I want to pay so we'll see what he comes back with. 

At the moment I can't really be spending more than what I offered, especially since my current Bonnet/Boot combo while not the prettiest, works and my better half has better ideas of what to spend my money on.

If it works out, I'll let you know and we can work out something with my old things.

SoCalMiniFan

Since I'm not Miss Money Bags the very nice but used Bonnet and Boot Lid are going to have to wait.

He wants way more than I want to pay for parts even if "they gots no dents" and are "rare German parts for Mini car", "has the shiny part included", and has "limited edition badge".

Bummed, I got way too excited about them.

MPlayle

Body panels for classic Minis were never "rare German parts".  All Minis in the German market were built in the UK, from UK made panels.

What "limited edition" badge could he be referring to?  Almost all badges are available as NOS or reproduction replacements.

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: MPlayle on January 08, 2016, 12:37:54 PM
Body panels for classic Minis were never "rare German parts".  All Minis in the German market were built in the UK, from UK made panels.

What "limited edition" badge could he be referring to?  Almost all badges are available as NOS or reproduction replacements.

Everything he said made me roll my eyes. If you're going to sell something at least have the decency to find out what the heck it is. 

94touring

Your standard MM holier than though parts salesman?

SoCalMiniFan

Quote from: 94touring on January 08, 2016, 01:10:37 PM
Your standard MM holier than though parts salesman?

Oddly enough no.  In all fairness I've had all great transactions with folks selling things on MM privately.

I think this guy probably bought a pallet of stuff and on it were these random Mini parts and he's trying to unload them. He was probably told exactly what he told me about them and that's that.

In our area it's not uncommon for pallets of stuff to be sold wholesale. You buy them generally sight unseen and sometimes you get lucky with valuable items and sometimes you don't.  When I was looking for my exhaust Manifold I answered an ad and I told the guy I was interested in the Exhaust Manifold he had listed and if he had a picture of it. It was a conversation that went back and forth with images included.

I asked if he had a picture - he sent me an image of a Carburetor.
I asked him again for the Exhaust Manifold image - he sent me an image of the Inlet Manifold
I asked him again for the Exhaust Manifold image - he sent me an image of the Rocker Cover and Radiator Shroud.

Finally I sent him an image of an Exhaust Manifold - He sent me a link to  MM.  50.gif

Spitz

Any mini boot lid will fit any mini ( except long boot versions og course )....the difference being where the rubber strip is mounted ( I think only 84+ cars had it mounted to the body....the rest on the boot lid using lots of clips in lots of holes )

A MkII hood wont easil;y work on a MkIII without moving  hinge mounts outward.  Sure, the lip. shape etc is identical, but MkI and MkII cars had the hinges mounted more inboard.

If any one is interested I have a nice MkII double skinned boot lid FS....not cheap mind you.  ( need funds for body panels. )