Minidaves clubby project

Started by 94touring, December 14, 2015, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

We have the roof gouge to tend to but I also saw a low spot on the roof that needs to go and then there's the fuel spill ordeal.  I've uncovered some holes sadly.  The roof gutter is being redone as well, as it was rusty and had flakey paint and sealer. 

Willie_B

Good to catch it now. It's in good hands.

94touring

Filled the holes.  Roof is about prepped.  Fillers a little slow to harden today with the temps down.  Only needed a little glaze on both spots. 

MiniDave

Yay! Red Clubby parts should be here tomorrow too.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

There are remnants of red paint on yours.  Not much but I've found a little.  I took the front plate off to paint the bottom section that wasn't finished off properly. 

MiniDave

Don't get carried away, you'll wind up painting the whole car!  :)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

When I uncovered holes I wanted to cut that section out and fix what's behind there but figured I'd better keep it simple.   ;D

94touring

Trying to continue on.  Keep hitting obstacles.  The big compressor isn't converted yet but I had a borrowed pancake compressor which will do in a pinch, however the guy who lent it needed it.  So had to borrow my old compressor I gave to my parents.  Of course the regular broke so I had to rig it up for now..

94touring

MiniDave

Good start......what kind of gun do you use? HVLP?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah a delvilbiss plus.  Has 3 different tips, which works great flipping between filler primer and the other materials that are thinner.

MiniDave

One request - and this may not need to be said - but please when you paint the front valance try not to get any overspray under the front end, I repainted everything under there and I would prefer it not be beige.....I know you'll be careful, but just a reminder.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing Buzz all fixed up!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Already masked off.  Figured you didn't want beige on everything.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

One coat of clear to go.  Your roof is fantastic.  Your gas cap area on the other hand...this paint doesn't match, at least not in that corner.  Once I unmask I'll see what the deal is.

94touring

I guess from the front left where they scanned the paint to the rear right it's a lot different.  Two options:  first, have it not match by the gas cap.  Second, I take it back and scan it by the rear corner for a match and resray that area. 

MiniDave

The paint shop I used to get paint for the engine compartment did their best to match it off the hood - wasn't even close, even after two tries.

That difference is just about how big it was between what I got from the paint shop and the hood's color....it's clearly not a match on the top either......your call on how to proceed but that's not gonna work, is it?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I think you can get away with the roof.  I'll take it back and get something mixed for a better match by the gas cap though. 

94touring

The seam cover I redid is a dead on match. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Apparently we picked the wrong panel to scan.  It's also worth noting it doesn't match the bottom of the fender.  Some blending has been done somewhere along its life. 

MiniDave

Doubly weird, I have photos that show the whole car being painted at the same time.....although clearly the hood is different.....
I have no idea when that was done if course....and given what you found under the gas tank filler and in the gutters, it makes me wonder about the quality of the work in general.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

This is one of those unexpected problems.  I've been looking over the panels meticulously and this is what I think has happened.  As we know both sides of the car match but the hood is slightly off.  Something different between it and the one wing, as well as wing to scuttle to hood.  What I found were sand marks on the upper curvature of the wing.  Below the curve if you mask off the upper part the paint matches the hood/sides/scuttle.  I think someone repainted that area and blended it along the curve.  That however was the spot I had matched.  Which is why the seam cover matches it, yet the bottom of the wing doesn't match the front scuttle I sprayed.   50.gif. sending you a pm with a game plan. 

94touring

MiniDave

I hate to say it, but that's just too white on the roof.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad