Red Clubman Estate aka "Rusty"

Started by MiniDave, November 22, 2015, 12:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Makes sense, I still wonder who it was tho - like I said, damn few people left around who know how to work on one of these....the more I look at it the more I think I can save it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hopefully like you said the threads on the bolt are softer. 

94touring

Hey if it's not too much trouble maybe you can check the compression on it.  I'll at least know how bad this clubby really sucks lol.  Ideally the engine is good and shifts and I just have the body work to contend with as planned. 

MiniDave

Will do, I have to get the flywheel back on to do that....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, these came today - great service from Moss Motors!

Now if I can just get the tap to show up....tracking says it's been in KC since Friday, but the postman just delivered and it's not on my porch.

Update: Tracking says it's arrived at my PO Branch about 1/2 hour ago. I called them to see if I could come pick it up and got a one word answer - No! It will be delivered tomorrow - and ju vill like it!

If it was UPS that had it they'd be happy to pull it and hold it for me as long as it wasn't already reloaded on a truck....but not the USPS.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Good deal.  I'm about to take your clubby for a spin to match paint. 

MiniDave

The tap finally arrived this am, and it's the correct one (yay!), I don't know why it took a priority mail package over a week to get to me from Floriduh but it's here, so this afternoon when Rose heads off to work I'll jump back on it and maybe someday it will move under it's own power again.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I think this is gonna work............the threads look pretty good in the hole, the bolt threads in smoothly but I still need to dress the edges of the slots in both the end of the crank and the flywheel.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

As long as it torques up to spec we're good.....I'll know later today.

Next I have to dress the edges of the slot on the crank and flywheel, then clean the rust off the clutch disc drive gear, then make sure it hasn't welded itself to the crank, then it all goes back together. Still a lot of steps before we'll know if it's gonna live.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

So Dan, where are you going to start on fixing the body on the Clubby? Floor pans?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

No clue.  It really needs the floor pans, subby attach panels, and door hinge support panels done up before it's streetable.  I'll probably do those 3 as I have time then drive it on the highway. 

MiniDave

Oops, another delay....I noticed these straps weren't on the flywheel when I took it apart but I assumed (incorrectly) that maybe the 998 didn't use them, as the PO had been driving it like this for at least 2 years. Come to find out that, yes it did need them, so I put in an order and they and the special shoulder bolts that attach them are now wending their way to the land of Oz.

You can just see them in this pic, they're about 3" long and I believe they're both an anti-chatter mechanism as well as locating the clutch centrally on the flywheel.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm still fascinated this thing even drove.

MiniDave

Without those the clutch back plate and cover can mover back and forth, but not much. Seems to me all it might do is chatter a bit, but who knows?

They put them in there for a reason, I don't think you should leave them out......even race clutches use them (9 straps instead of the standard 6)

Once it's back together I think it will work fine, the big unknown right now is whether that bolt will torque properly.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm feeling like we're going to get lucky with the bolt. 

94touring

What's scary about this is I'm the kind of guy that would pull the clutch out, make note or take pics of how it came out, then put it back in the same way.  If the previous guy left off random parts I may not catch them. 

jeff10049

Don't forget to shim the straps level.

MiniDave

Parts came at last, I hope this is the last of what I need to get the Red Clubby back on its feet!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well, everything's all buttoned up in the engine compartment - that's the good news. Unfortunately something's still not right, either with the pedals/linkage (rusted) or the slave cylinder. All I can say is the pedal goes down and it doesn't come back up. all the way, or easily, or smoothly.

I put some rust penetrant on the pedal assembly and I'll let it set overnight and see if it makes any difference, next step is to pull the slave off and see if that does anything for it......

Yes, that's the new clutch cover, even tho it looks like it's been underwater for a while, the rest of it and the important parts all look new.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Shall I send a new master?  He said the slave was rebuilt.

MiniDave

Let me see what the rust penetrant does first, I'll know more tomorrow.....it's already moving better than it did the first time I tried it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Does it actually move the clutch arm when the pedal is on the floor?  My 74 sat so long it needed the pedal assembly lubed several times over a period of time.

MiniDave

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Those drive straps don't look right at all. Maybe it's just the picture but they look to be sitting flat on the flywheel and flexed up to the pressure plate horns if so they need spacers under the flywheel end.

(edit) not trying to pick your work apart Dave but strap miss alignment can cause a lot of strange clutch issues, and is often overlooked.

Jeff