fuel overspill guard

Started by 94touring, November 12, 2015, 09:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Seems like the topic of fuel leaking from the filler and onto the paint has come up a lot lately.  Even my blue mini has a constant dark streak of residue below the filler cap.  Dave's clubby has paint peeling below his, which will get repaired...can't stand to look at it.  All that being said has anyone ever given thought to applying a clear plastic adhesive film, as used on bumpers and lower sides for rock chips, but in this case to keep fuel off the paint?  Seems like wiping the plastic would be easier than buffing the paint constantly or risking the paint peeling depending on your paint. 

MiniDave

As long as the gas wouldn't get under the edge, I think that's a great idea!

And thanks for thinking about my q-panel - it bugs me too - almost as much as the roof. Only problem is, you have to be careful or you wind up fixing the whole car! Know when to say when....   ;D

I wonder if wiping off the spilled gas immediately would be enough to keep that from happening? In my case, fuel ran out of the cap for over an hour and dribbled down the side of the car.....I'm not sure anything would have saved that, except modern paints maybe?

PS: Trying to find a box the spoiler will fit into, to ship it.....PM the address when you get a chance.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

In your case I think even if a visible line/edge of clear is present, it will be 100x better than the paint disaster it has there now. 

Sending a pm now. 

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

I have seen some skirts before that you can put on the filler neck before you fuel up. You can do those, or you can cut some clear vinly wrap. I have the vinyl cutter and can get some clear if you want to try it.

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Yeah I think I'll give it a go.

Merlin

Just got off of the phone with my boyz over at 3M to find a properly fuel resistant vinyl in clear. Should have something friday and we can mock something up this weekend.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Jims5543

My old Porsche 911 (1980) had a rubber surround on the gas filler neck when you opened up the cover.

It looked like this:

... and would function like this picture, it opened up and created a barrier so gas would not get on the car.

I have not noticed any gas spilling out of my Mini Pickup even after topping off the tank. Are you guys getting a spill filling up?  Or when you have a full tank?
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Between my sloppy filling and tank slosh/poorly sealing old cap, I have a continual dark streak abeam the seam back there. 

MiniDave

Mine happened like this....

I filled the tank and parked on the curb in front of my house, I live on a hill. Bottom line the tank was downhill and it was on a hot day, that caused the gasoline to expand and forced it out the vent or past the seal. It was parked there for a number of hours and gasoline dribbled out for that whole time. When I went to drive it to lunch the damage was done. Dan can post a pic of it, but it's nasty......looks like wrinkle finish paint.....

I bought a new cap, but I also make sure I don't park with the filler downhill anymore.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I suspect that the paint under the base/clear can't deal with fuel.  Paint is weird that way.  The stuff on the bottom will react poorly to whatever touches the top. 

Shrimps

FWIW on my '79 I discovered that when tightening the gas cap I only tighten it to the first detent.  If I tighten to the second detent it leaks.  My theory is the gasket gets deformed or something when tightening to the second detent which allows leakage.

I haven't had any issues with spillage when filling up.  In Oregon there is no self serve (for the most part) & I usually go to the same gas station & make sure they use the slowest setting on the handle & to not top it off.  So far so good.  They do let me remove and put back my own gas cap though.  :rolleyes:

MiniDave

I use a little silicone paste on the seal on mine, but it is a cheap gasket - and mine is brandy new from one of the "local" suppliers.

Of course the filler on the wagons/vans/P'ups is different than on the sedans, and it's lower on the side of the car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad