Supercharging a Classic Mini

Started by MtyMous, November 12, 2015, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

If you don't know the guys from Mighty Car Mods (MCM), you should take a look at their videos. A bunch of mods from funny to awesome and everything in between. One of the hosts recently bought a Classic Mini and he has decided to supercharge it!

Blast2drv

Here's another way to supercharge a mini

MiniDave

I'm surprised, they don't seem to be using a decompression plate....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Part 4 & 5 are out!
Regards
Towjoe  77.gif

MiniDave

Quote from: MiniDave on November 22, 2015, 08:02:02 PM
I'm surprised, they don't seem to be using a decompression plate....

Part 4 answered that question...they're going to run E-85 and figure the extra octane will allow them to not have to lower the compression. Of course, then they're absolutely tied to E-85 but maybe it's easier for them to get....

I don't see part 5, do you have a link?

Edit- found it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoTsgrwDujY

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

But then they go and add a Flex-Fuel sensor for still being able to run non-E85 premium figuring they can compensate with ECU mapping alone.

MiniDave

Yeah, I heard them talk about that in Episode 5......I wish Project Binky updates came as quickly as these guys do!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

Quote from: MiniDave on December 07, 2015, 09:12:48 AM
..I wish Project Binky updates came as quickly as these guys do!

That's what she said.

And thanks for posting part 5. I watched it in the garage but forgot to link you guys.

MiniDave

Man I wish Project Binky episodes came this often......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Project Binky is MUCH more involved and these guys leave LOTS out of their efforts as well.

Still entertaining to see the endeavor.

MiniDave

Bit of a disappointment that they didn't give the actual numbers......54% increase is substantial tho, and about what I expected.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MtyMous

I really wish they had given some actual numbers, but we can definitely speculate and probably get pretty close. I'm not a professional historian of all things mini, but I thought the SPi had around 50hp from the factory. That puts them around 75hp. Definitely a fun little car.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: MtyMous on December 26, 2015, 09:06:35 PM
I really wish they had given some actual numbers, but we can definitely speculate and probably get pretty close. I'm not a professional historian of all things mini, but I thought the SPi had around 50hp from the factory. That puts them around 75hp. Definitely a fun little car.

SPi is 63hp. SPi Cooper S is 83hp.

MiniDave

Someone said their Facebook page said the final # was 118hp - at the wheels, of course.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

So started out about 75hp at the wheels before the supercharger.  That would tend to indicate a slightly "warmed" SPI Cooper-S version to start?

MtyMous

And this is why I put a disclaimer on my post. haha. I would figure the guys were playing with the car prior to the supercharger, so 75hp doesn't sound unreasonable if it started with 63. Either way, it's got me contemplating all sorts of crap that I shouldn't be. haha. I'm already getting ideas for my next engine and I JUST got mine back from the machine shop.