Selling my 7" round HID Projector Retrofit

Started by MtyMous, November 11, 2015, 09:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

As the title states, I'm selling my retrofit. It works great, but I'm going to try and go a different direction for the headlights after the restoration. Here's a list of the items included.

$200 for projectors
$40 for ZKW-R clear lenses
$160 Full HID kit with wiring harness
$35 for clear housings
$35 for shrouds
Labor Cost = 1 week of your valuable time saved

$470 if you did it yourself. I'm asking $350

Pics of the final product

Dmulder

did you like the way these performed?  What is causing you to think about going a different direction after your resto?  I too am looking at doing a full resto in the near future and would be interested.  Not sure I like the looks of them as compared to classic headlights but I like the idea of the HID.

Devin
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MtyMous

Dmulder,

The headlights perform ridiculously well. I have been on the fence about keeping them or doing the next project for a really long time. haha. The cutoff is amazingly clear. They are full glass headlamps and not cheap plexi so they won't discolor or fade  over time. The light output is incredible. I mean... take your standard sealed beam output and multiply it by 10.. literally. The best part is that they are incredibly bright where you need them to be bright, but they have a beautiful cutoff line so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic or the people in front of you. They are bi-xenon so they have high and low mean actuation all in one unit unlike many of the cheap ebay alternatives.

Why am I going a different direction? Well.. I'm crazy and always trying something new. haha. I have ben toying with the idea of doing an LED retrofit, and I know I'll never do it if I put these things back in the car. They work so well that I'll never convince myself that the LED's can be better. So if I sell them before I put them back in, I'll have to make something new. haha. My brain is screwed up.. I know.

Many people wonder if they are going to blind traffic. My response is that I was never flashed, I went on multiple cruises with other car guys and specifically asked that they tell me if they were annoying and the answer was always "no, it just looks like a tiny BMW is driving behind me". lol. I used to hate driving at night, even with my 4 spot lights (which never stayed adjusted correctly), but with these headlights, I LOVED driving at night.

If you're interested in HID, you won't find a better deal on a proper setup, I promise. And if you don't like the all black look, you can always heat up the bead around the glass, pop them open, and paint them silver or chrome to match your look. Bu they look killer on my friend's white mini as well when we test fit them.

Dmulder

Quote from: MtyMous on November 12, 2015, 07:08:54 AM
Dmulder,

The headlights perform ridiculously well. I have been on the fence about keeping them or doing the next project for a really long time. haha. The cutoff is amazingly clear. They are full glass headlamps and not cheap plexi so they won't discolor or fade  over time. The light output is incredible. I mean... take your standard sealed beam output and multiply it by 10.. literally. The best part is that they are incredibly bright where you need them to be bright, but they have a beautiful cutoff line so it doesn't blind oncoming traffic or the people in front of you. They are bi-xenon so they have high and low mean actuation all in one unit unlike many of the cheap ebay alternatives.

Why am I going a different direction? Well.. I'm crazy and always trying something new. haha. I have ben toying with the idea of doing an LED retrofit, and I know I'll never do it if I put these things back in the car. They work so well that I'll never convince myself that the LED's can be better. So if I sell them before I put them back in, I'll have to make something new. haha. My brain is screwed up.. I know.

Many people wonder if they are going to blind traffic. My response is that I was never flashed, I went on multiple cruises with other car guys and specifically asked that they tell me if they were annoying and the answer was always "no, it just looks like a tiny BMW is driving behind me". lol. I used to hate driving at night, even with my 4 spot lights (which never stayed adjusted correctly), but with these headlights, I LOVED driving at night.

If you're interested in HID, you won't find a better deal on a proper setup, I promise. And if you don't like the all black look, you can always heat up the bead around the glass, pop them open, and paint them silver or chrome to match your look. Bu they look killer on my friend's white mini as well when we test fit them.
Thanks for the input.  I am seriously considering it.  If they are still for sale by the new year (when I have a little extra cash laying around, yeah right like it ever lays around at my house, I own a mini, have a wife, and 3 kids) I may pick them up.  Thanks again.
"In like a lamb, Out like a lion."

MtyMous

No Problemo. I know you'll love them if you do pick them up. I'll be sure to let everyone know if they sell on one of the other sites they're posted on.

Willie_B

Most of the guys on the Tacoma forum I'm on have given up on LED's for headlights. Light output not as good as it should be and lifespan is still limited. I am sure they will get there but not yet.

MtyMous

Thanks for the input, Willie. My friend down the street has a set of LED's on his hummer. They're 7" rounds as well. They cast a TON of light and have a good cutoff. They're about $800 though. I'm still toying with where I want to go, but selling my current setup is the first step in my mind. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into longevity and reliability of the units.

Good thing about the HID setup is that when a bulb blows out you just replace the bulb. Just like halogen. I'm sure I've got time before they sell.

MtyMous

Just kidding about having enough time. haha.

SOLD!