Hood(Bonnet) Latch adjustment

Started by SoCalMiniFan, November 05, 2015, 11:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalMiniFan

I haven't switched over to hood(bonnet) straps just yet but after fussing with my hood (bonnet) latch and it not engaging properly I know why so many mini's have hood(bonnet) straps.

With that said, how do I adjust the hood(bonnet) latch to engage?

Haynes book of no-help suggest I reverse installation order to remove which is great for when I remove it but there is nothing about adjusting it to actually work, engage, and hold my hood(bonnet) shut.

Right now I push the hood(bonnet) shut, the reserve latch engages and then I can't get the center main latch to catch and hold the hood(bonnet) shut.  I can eventually get it to latch but I really have to fiddle with it, press on the hood(bonnet), jiggle it, talk to it, threaten to give up, and then it engages. I tried adjusting the bolt and screw thingy but it didn't seem to help.

Tips, Tricks, Suggestions welcome.

"If it's not fun, why do it?"

Spitz

Above the spring in the centre there is a 9/16" lock nut.
Losen this off a few turns.
You can then turn down the centre pin a few turns.
Give it a go and see if it latches closed....if so...tighten 9/16" nut and carry on :)

SoCalMiniFan

Sprayed some PB Blast up on the 9/16 nut, scrapped off some of the crappy under spray that's coating the inner hood and muscled the Pin and 9/16 nut loose, adjusted accordingly. Hood (bonnet) closes and stays latched with one try!

"If it's not fun, why do it?"