In the early stages of buying the official restoration-mini garage

Started by 94touring, October 11, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

-4 overnight for us, but it's already warmed up to 10*!  ::)

Wonder if the classic will start?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

I'll try mine tomorrow, but it's in the garage so I think it will go.......I'll top up the battery tonight. We have a cars and coffee event tomorrow that I hope to drive to in the classic.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

If you're using that water based solvent, be aware that if you leave it in there (like you're supposed to) it will eat the paint right off the tank. Just FYI.

I use safety solvent in mine now, I bought the last tank from Crystal Clean, and I set the wash tank on top of the solvent barrel and suspended the pump down in the barrel on an arm, so it's now a recirculating style wash tank

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Didn't know that but no big deal if it eats the paint either.

jedduh01

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on January 17, 2017, 04:07:20 PM
Didn't know that but no big deal if it eats the paint either.

It comes off in big flakes and clogs the filter on the pump...PITA....at least mine did.

I agree that a parts washer is a must have piece of equipment for any real shop.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I've started reassembling my rotary and needed something to clean up rotors.  Plus the 66 has suspension parts to clean soon too.

MiniDave

I finally got smart and bought some rubber gloves to use in mine.....sure saves your hands.

Is that the "before" or "after" pic on the rotors?    ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

That's after, but you'll see Vaseline holding all the side and corner seals in place.  Rubber bands around the outside holding the apex seals in place. I just slid them in the housings for now. 

Merlin

I have a giant barrel of parts washing fluid here at the shop that you could use. We got a 30gal of cleaner, but it leaves a residue on the parts. Smells like orange!
Since it leaves a film that needs to be washed off, we don't use it, so it sits in the yard.

Engineering the Impossible

94touring