In the early stages of buying the official restoration-mini garage

Started by 94touring, October 11, 2015, 07:49:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Was going to wait a little longer to reveal what I've been doing but might as well spread the excitement.  As many of you are aware earlier in the year I had to move out of the shop I shared with a friend who owned it, as he decided to sell.  This was rather painful not just because I had a nice little setup in there but because I had an enormous stash of cars and no where to put them.  So scattered them among garages  (thanks Justin).  Then I was busy at my real job upgrading to Captain and needed to deal with everything that came with that but also simultaneously looking for places to rent.  Was harder than I realized since they were either too expensive and/or wanted crazy insurance, and let's face it, this is a hobby for me, so it was hard to justify spending a certain amount of money to essentially play on my days off.  So I kept thinking of ideas and set out to perhaps buy a place.  In the end the mortgage is lower than rent and, well, I'd own it.  Know a hottie realtor girl and had her send me listings.  Then I stumbled across a Craigslist ad from a guy selling a place just north of where the old shop was.  Went out to meet the guy and check it out.  What he had was a studio apartment on a half acre in the boonies with a 30x40' garage that's fully insulated and has heat and air, and tons of lighting, and two 16x24' car ports, one of which he said he'd put a door on for me to get another garage out of it.  Well I made an offer and worked out a deal, basically a 6 month lease then purchase as I save up my pennies. Go to sign a contract with him this week.  In the meantime I decided to rent out my condo to help free up cash and figured since this place has an apartment attached I can just live there.  The extra cash will afford things like really nice tools too!  The condo was snatched up by a guy yesterday and he signs this week.  Also took on another project car and that's pretty much all the extra cash I need to buy now rather than later.  Shooting to get in there next month and pics to follow. 

MtyMous

That's awesome, man! Glad you've found something dual purpose and it sounds like it's better than your old digs. Maybe not as much space as the barn, but probably nicer. Might even be able to make the carport into a paint booth.

Keep us posted. I'm excited to see what comes next.

gasmini

Good to hear about the new place. Who needs a very big place to sleep if you're always working on cars?

94touring

The barn was 40x40 if I'm not mistaken.  But I really only had 20x20 of it that was my "area".  I'll effectively end up with 56x30' of garage here. This place is definitely nicer.  No birds, bees, or horses free roaming around lol.  The carport/garage will be perfect for putting the air compressor so the shop is quiet, panel storage, and parking any additional cars I buy.  I considered making it a paint booth but really the main shop has windows perfect for setting up fans to make the shop the paint booth.  3 rows of lights on the ceiling already too.  I'd only need to move cars out or cover things up that I didn't want overspray on. 

Willie_B

Sounds great. One of the advantages of being single is the ability to pick your own living quarters. You will miss your bars in town not being as close but completely worth it.

94touring

I plan to live at the shop for a year.  That should give me time to buy the things I need.  It's pretty cool because my rent from the condo pays for both mortgages and utilities!  I still own a 2nd parking spot in town and have a couple places to stay if I feel like having a night out.  It's a pretty big sacrifice to move from my highrise. 

MiniDave

Congrats!

Perfect place for a single guy who likes cars- a large shop with a small apartment included!  4.gif Can't wait to see the pics of the new crib!

So, now can you fix the roof on Buzz?   ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

I'll show you on the Branson trip - the garage door opener hit it while it was up on the lift - twice!

Big gouges running about 2 ft long......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

yes, I'll take a picture for you......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ah ok.  Well not totally horrible.  But needs a respray on the roof. 

Merlin

You got three phase power or just 220v? I have a 10 hp compressor for you, just need to figure out power.

Bug question is, when's open house!
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

He was going to wire in 220 for me but what's the details on this compressor your talking about?

Merlin

What amperage? 60a or 30a?

Any possibility of bringing in 3phase?
Engineering the Impossible

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Just let me know when your are ready for my pickup.   I will even let you drive it around a little before the resto.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Quote from: Jims5543 on October 12, 2015, 05:57:48 PM
Just let me know when your are ready for my pickup.   I will even let you drive it around a little before the resto.

If that's the case drop it off now and I'll drive it till next fall  4.gif.   I can't imagine it needs much done.  Probably just a refurb/paint job on the body. 

94touring

A few pics I took today.  The guy is moving all his stuff out so it's cluttered at the moment. 

MiniDave

Fantastic Space! How tall are the ceilings in the main garage area? Those lean-to's on the sides will be great for storing projects in process or keeping parts cars. Just watch out for rodents.....

Very jealous at the moment...... :(

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Good question.  My guess is 9 feet but I'll need to measure.  There's a 3rd row of lights that were off in the photo as well.  The one car port I'll put a garage door on to keep things secure.  I'd like to maybe do asphalt and close off the gaps on the bottom.  The air compressor and a couple cars will easily fit in it as well.  The other one I'm not sure what I'll do with.  I suppose I could close it off and use it for storing things I want hidden as well. 

94touring

MiniDave

Those red bins in the corner going to stay? They could be really useful.....

I see you're getting this rain too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad