Points Eliminator kits

Started by MiniDave, October 09, 2015, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm sure most people have the Pertronix unit, I found a company here in the US that sells a kit for half the cost of a Ptx, and warrants it for three years, so I bought one. I also bought the appropriate 3 ohm coil from them. So far I cannot get it to fire a lick, I've followed the instructions to the letter - it's the exact same looking unit as a Ptx and wires up the same, works the same etc. Both use the same magnetic trigger......

I'm going to return it to them to see if I just got a bad one but it seems to me it's pretty stupid proof, and it's not like it's my first rodeo. I installed a different style on my old Jag 25 years ago (use light interruption instead of a magnet ) and it's still working perfectly.

Anyone ever buy one of these from Hot Spark? Any luck with it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Hmm.  Maybe just got a bad one unless the new coil is bad.  I'm curious about price though.  I have a conversion kit for the clubby and bought a whole new 25d from minispares converted over for about $100. 

MiniDave

Not the coil, I put the points back in and she runs just fine - I was just hoping to get rid of the points once and for all like I did with my Jag. I put a different design kit in it (photo eye instead of magnet) and it's still working perfectly 25 years later.

Ima send this one back, they're just down in Austin, and see what they say. It's such a simple device, not much can go wrong with them......My engine uses the 45D dizzy.....the dizzy itself is in really good shape, no wear in the bushings and the advance works exactly as it should. And no way I can afford a $500 123 dizzy!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I put the points back in and Buzz fired right up, as always.....

Monday I'm sending this thing back either for a refund or for one that works - I'd love to just get a good one so I don't have to fuss with the points ever again - not that they've been much of a problem - a new set once a year and they seem to do fine. However, to change them I wind up removing the grill - again not a BIG deal, but a bit of a PITA - I have to remove the entire grill, headlight surrounds and all. Once out I have great access of course, but I usually pull the dist anyway so I can clean and lube the breaker and the advance mechanism.

I think I've had this tube of cam lube since the middle 1960's!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Set it and forget it is really the way to go.  Yearly adjustments seems a bit much. 

MiniDave

John I have a similar system on my E-Type, but it works the opposite of that system in that it has a solid disc with slots cut in it, when the light sees the slot it fires the coil.

The system I bought for the Mini uses a Hall effect generator rather than a light source to trigger the firing pulse.

I sent my non-functioning unit back to the seller and they sent me another one to try, but I haven't gotten a chance to install it yet.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

This is the Luminition 'chopper':

- Pave the Bay -

jedduh01

I agree- Get the electronics kit to work and set it and forget it

That Red Module - I've installed 2 in other local mini owners cars and have had GREAT luck with them. Perhaps one bad apple

When the points in my moke die ( ive never serviced them) I will also be installing a electronic set.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-for-4cyl-Lucas-25D4-Austin-Morris-Triumph-MG-/311489021681?hash=item48863146f1:g:JvcAAOSw5VFWKC~B&vxp=mtr

MiniDave

Jedduh, yep that's the exact same kit I bought, except I bought it direct from Hot Spark in Austin.

If you buy one keep your rec't, they'll require it for the exchange if you need it. I also agree that once it works, you should not have to fuss with it again EXCEPT to oil the advance mechanism periodically, since it's simply a points elimination kit, not an electronic ignition. If it works, it should pretty much work forever tho.....

I musta just gotten a bad one, it can happen with electronics. When I get Buzz back home I'm going to install it - hope it works.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad