Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Better you than me on those brakes! Never seen a car with so many pesky leaks!

MiniDave

I've never had problems like that sealing up the brakes before, but it's all good now. The pedals right up where it should be and everything is working correctly.

This morning Stan and Alan Miller are coming to get the car, it'll be great to see it driving out under it's own power, ready for Stan to finish the interior and start putting some miles on it.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Stan just text'd me that he's driven his car around the block 6 times since he got it home! Wonder how he did that without a seat?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I like the color more each time I see it.    And I like the Baja as the two vehicle too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

stan360

I  had an egg crate and everyone set on the floor.  So fun.  Several laps around the block today to get used to how it drives. Thanks Dave !

94touring

Glad it's home and drivable, even if it's just an egg crate for now.

stan360

Dan, i am ready to install carpet and dash pad. Should i use contact cement for dash pad and carpet under padding, or maybe that scotch super77 spray.  I think i even have a super 90 ? something spray

94touring

I don't use adhesive for the carpet but that spray adhesive 3m 77 or whatever it is I use for the dash pad.

stan360

Ok, the carpet i suppose wont go anywhere after all the seats are in place. Might be easier in the future if i dont have to tear out a pile of jute i glued to the floor .

94touring

Your rubber door surrounds hold much of it. Heel boards also have metal tabs.  Then seats and seat belts. 

stan360

Dan, I want to poke those sun visors and the rear view mirror in, but  I cannot remember where the holes are. And I didn't seem to take pics of that area on take down.   Do you have a mini w/ no liner and can measure the spots close enough for me to stab at it.  I dont want to mess up this headliner.

MiniDave

Use a pin to find them, that way the holes are tiny.....don't forget the interior light too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'll get some measurements but yeah I usually poke around with a pick. 

stan360

today I got the windows put in , but not the pop outs as I am redoing the rubber seals inside the chrome trim...this is a pain in the ass and not sure why I took them apart , but only to remove a bit of rust.  I may just end up using a black silicone sealer instead , as the mini spares rubber strip is super thick  and seemingly impossible.  There is very little space on the sides of the glass against the chrome and I am afraid to force the glass back in.  I bought new window rail supports for the roll ups but opted not to use them as I was afraid to break the glass taking the old ones off. So I just cleaned up the rusty edges. So I hate messing with glass.

As soon as I get the pop outs put in I can finish the carpet, and buy some seat covers. Woo woo

BruceK

Hey! That looks like one of those fancy ventilation seats that keep your butt cool.   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I'm excited to see Stan carrying on and getting the car put back together....won't be any time at all before he's terrorizing Lawrence in it!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

So after trying for 2 hours to use the minispares rubber trim and whacking the edge of the chrome with a mallet , I give up before I break something.  Gonna use some black silicone or similar.

jeff10049

I just used  clear 100% silcone on mine worked very well, it's easier to clean up after its dry let it squeeze out and dry then use a plastic scraper to remove the excess.

MPlayle

A few years back I did a set of rear pop-out windows on a 1961 Mini I was refurbishing.  I found out (the hard way) the replacement sealing rubber available then was just slightly too thick and would not work.

Fortunately for me, I had a contact that had a bundle of the thinner version that worked.

Unfortunately, the thinner was NLA at that time.

Jeff10049's approach seems a good idea.

stan360

I tried the silicone and made a mess, so i found some on ebay, just a bit of polishing tp the latches and moving on with it. I think my frames were a bit warped from trying the thick seals, so i gave up there .

94touring

Don't toss the other set.  Maybe one of us can try our luck with them.  What else is left?

stan360

I will save them. I am trying to get some seat covers and door cards ordered, just waiting to hear back on that. So , seats, carpet, cards and then sort out any bugs that come up. I will take a pic of tie rod ends, i spaced that off,  sorry

thebluepotato

Stan good to see your progress!  I finally got my mini on the road last week, so all is moving nicely now.

Those @&^%!&%^$!! quarter windows are a PITA to reseal.....thanks in no part to an unamed vendor here in the USA that sells said gasket for these windows that is just too thick.  I went the silicone route and they turned out ok.  I even found the right rivets for the latches and rivet tool (by hand mind you!).

You can see what I went through here:
http://www.thebluepotato.net/blog/2017/08/report21-the-simple-complexity-and-pain/

I need to find some backup windows that I can hold on to....all the ones on ebay are blue tinted, etc.  But I guess if I find good frames, that's all that matters.

stan360

I have the carpet jute padding in and spray tacked it with scotch 90 and did the bulkhead carpet which was a bit of an ordeal.  On to tacking the sill carpet and cross member.  So the large carpet pads have some insulate already tacked to the back on the new sets. There is a rivet kit bag to tack them to the floor at the sill edge.  What have any of you used here?  Spray tack the carpet to the pad on the floor and also rivet or   no spray  tack and just rivet the edges  or maybe just throw it in there and who cares.  Not sure what is best , but I thought maybe to just rivet the edges and didn't feel there would be any movement of the carpet since the two jute backing pads will mate up.

I did have a guy in UK make me some nice floor mats exact match to the Newton carpet set and also a carpet speaker board for under the back seat.  I dont plan to put a stereo in the car because now I can just put 2 speakers hidden behind the carpet  board and a small amp mounted to it too and just play spotify or whatever  from my phone.  I will need to run a bit of wire  and fuse  but I will worry about this later.  Just install the board for now.

Dan will be here this week to pick it up and paint the rear quarter I mess up attempting to install quarter window by myself.  Seems it would be better as a two person job to hold glass and one inside to tack it in there.

I am waiting on the seat covers , so close and will be driving this thing by May !  Yay!  Just in time as I am parting with my  b mini.