Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

So, it's been an entire month since I was able to work on Stan's car.....in between I spent a week in hospital with pneumonia and the last three weeks sitting on the couch coughing crap up out of my lungs!

The good news is that I'm finally feeling like I'm getting better - still not there yet by a long shot but as soon as it warms up a bit (supposed to be mid 40's tomorrow and mid 60's Thursday)  I can probably get in an hour here and there and make a bit of progress. Stan brought me the shorter shift rod for the rod change and it looks like that will fix the issues I was having with the shifter.

I also have to bleed the brakes and clutch and wire up the fog/driving lights. After that it's tidy up a few loose ends and do a little tuning on the carb and it's ready to go back to Lawrence and Stan's shop. I'm excited to see it move under its own power but with no seats that will have to wait.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road too!

MiniDave

Well, I HOPE he's going to drive it, but with a car this perfect and clean, he may be reticent to take it out and play with it for fear of scratching it or getting it dirty - that would be understandable given the investment he's made, but sad just the same.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Slight progress.....got the shifter installed today with the new short steady arm and bingo! works just the way it's supposed to.

I'm only good for an hour here and there right now, but progress is progress.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Slight progress.....

Horns located and wired up - and they work!

Fog lights in and wired up, and they work too!  4.gif

When we ran the engine the other day the temp gauge went to "H", but when I put my digital thermometer on the head and radiator it was right where it should be, so we have a sender that's wrong or something. I did get to adjust the carb a bit, so the engine idles nicely now, still need to add some oil to the carb and do some fine tuning, but it's getting there.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Is it an electrical or mechanical temperature gauge?  Was it a rapid jump or slow gradual climb to 'H'?

If electrical, a) could there be a short to ground somewhere else in the wiring for the gauge?  b) could it require regulated/reduced voltage to be on the correct scale?  (Gauge expects 0-10V and was receiving 0-12V and thus reading high?)

MiniDave

Slow gradual climb, gauge is operating off the voltage stabilizer so it should be getting 9V, not 12V....I need to check that it's getting 9V to make sure but I know it's wired that way.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Last things I need to do are bleed the brakes and clutch, and I may need to pull the wok, something's not right in the clutch assy...I'm wondering if they forgot to put a release bearing in or if it's on backwards or something.

More as I figure it out.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Well today could be a banner day, I've got the brakes bled and the clutch seems to be operating properly, time to tighten the wheels and see if it will drive itself out of the garage. Of course, it will be really interesting as all I have for a seat is a small step stool!

I only found one leak, the hose at the left caliper wasn't quite tight enough, but it only took a short twist of the wrench to fix it.

Just in time too, Dan is due with his engine and I need the car off the lift to unload it.

More as/if it happens...

One really interesting thing, I noticed what looked like a small light blinking down near the timing marks when it was running the other day - it looks like a static electricity spark jumping between the timing mark tab and the crankshaft pulley - anyone ever experience this before? I have a vid of it if I can figure out how to get it out of my phone...windows did another update and now some things don't work the way they used too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Hope the brakes are good. It's down hill from your garage and sitting a stool won't be much fun.

MiniDave

The brakes worked - so did the clutch!    71.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Here's the weird spark I was talking about! The only thing I can think of is static charge built up the fan belt?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I didn't notice the cop till just now lol. 

stan360

4.gif Yay!  I can't wait to drive it.  Maybe I can use a egg crate until I get the seats in .  Everything looks great. I really appreciate all your help Dave.  And the headliner is amazing Dan, Thank you .

stan360

Ha, yeah, the police.  Going to get its first ticket for me Dan.
I had a guy cut me off after blowing a yield , and then pass me in town in a 20 mph zone last week with a police officer following and nothing happened to him.  I would have had 3 tickets if I did that.

94touring

Would have been my first time pulled sitting on a crate, no seatbelts, no hood.

stan360

94touring

Tossing an empty can out the window as the cop goes by.

MiniDave

I have a couple of leaky bits to sort out, then it's ready to go home....tentatively over this weekend.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Did you pull the clutch hard line to see what the deal was? Anything else on the brakes leaking?

MiniDave

No, I'll look into it tomorrow.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Bahowe1

You guys have done a phenomenal job on the car!  I gotta say, the Bracken out in the day looks really good.  It is a 'changing' color.   

MiniDave

Thanks, just fettling the loose bits now. I had to replace the lines that go to the master cylinders, and I found the copper washers that seal the SS brake lines to the calipers were the wrong size. I'm having a difficult time finding some that will work, but my backup plan is to install a set of new standard rubber brake hoses that I  have on hand.

Pics when I'm done.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Finally got all the hydraulic leaks sorted, I had to file the sealing surface where the hose attaches to one of the front calipers, despite changing hoses and sealing washers it still leaked till I got it smoothed out and straight. PITA cheap parts.....I did change the hoses to stock rubber ones too, what a PITA that job is, easy when the subframe is sitting on the floor, in the car it's another matter! To do the left one requires removing the radiator. Oh it's supposed to be doable thru the little window in the inner fender, but I could not get a wrench on the locking nut, so out it came.

Anyway, that should be it....I have to put the radiator back in and add coolant, then start it up and make sure I've got all the air bubbles out. I need to richen the carb another half turn and I think it's there. It starts easily, shifts well and Dan said even on his short run that it seemed to pull strong.

Now "all" Stan has to do is finish the glass and interior and it's a car!

First pic shows that even after I dressed the surface, the center is not being touched, the second shows that's the area the copper washer seals against, the third after I finished it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad