Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

In direct light it does appear a bit more butterscotch / yellow.... and a darker orange with indirect light.  Today was cloudy at Dans and the garage was  in evening low lighting. 

94touring

Hey you're welcome!  Glad you made the trip back ok. 

Vikram

MiniDave

Drove up to Lawrence today to get a look at Stan's Mini - it's really coming along now. Love the custom valve cover!

He's doing an extremely meticulous job, but hopes to have it running by the time warm weather gets here.....can't wait to hear it run!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Looks good, radiator clearance turned out nice.

MiniDave

The engine will rock forward quite a bit once he puts the steadies in, I had to notch the fender a little bit to make room for mine.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

stan360

Thanks for stopping by today Dave.  It was great to finally meet you and to meet Don also.    The internet can be a pretty amazing place to share ideas and knowledge and common interests , but it's even better when you get to  meet the real people that are hanging out in cyber space with you on the mini forum.  I have met a few forum members this past year and hopefully to meet some more in the future.   

I got to go for a spin in Don's V-tech P'up and that thing hauls ass. I was looking for the Oh Sh*t handle in the cab .  I think I need a V-Tech.  Very cool center binnacle he designed and Dave had done some customizing of the exhaust manifold area among other things under the hood....... It's just a sharp looking truck.

I got to look over Dave's Racing Green mini with its cool wood dash / wheel and now  with the magnolia gauges.  The exhaust has a nice rumble too.   Next time I will have to go for a spin.     

My neighbor had to come over and take pictures as well as a few passer by's stopping to do the same.   It was an exciting day in my neighborhood.

Seeing the 2 sharp looking minis today reminds me that I need to keep the pace and get this garage project done, so I can go driving.  4.gif

MiniDave

As much fun as it is to resurrect one like this, the real fun comes when you hit the road and put some (s)miles on it!

Let me know if I can help with the wiring and such.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

So awesome, I just went through this entire thread. 

Stan, love your work on refinishing the bit and pieces.  Looking great!

Dan, that's some great body work and paint too!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

94touring

gr8kornholio

Oh I'm seriously trying hard not to just go into my garage right now and start dismantling things.  Would be hard to take to the show this weekend after that though.  Looking forward to more updates on this being put back together. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Stan has run into some life changing problems and after about a year of just sitting in his garage, his car is coming to my shop for me to finish getting together and running, it's supposed to come down this Sunday but we'll see if that comes together....pics as it happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Alan came this evening to load the mini. Its on the trailer and ready to go to your house tomorrow Dave.  Thanks for your help

MiniDave

Excellent, I have the shop cleaned out, all I need to do is pull the racing green Mini off the lift and we can roll yours right on.
See you guys tomorrow then!   77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

OK, so now the project is in my hands for the next phase.......the car arrived and we managed to roll it into my shop and onto the lift. Stan brought a bunch of boxes of new parts for me to sort thru, some assembly required!   ;D

As we get going Stan will get his interior ordered and once it's running and drivable I'll take it up to the local upholstery shop to have the headliner installed....then we'll go from there.

Pics as it happens!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I may be willing to make a day trip to do the headliner and glass.

MiniDave

Now that you know where my shop is.....   ;D

I've got a ways to go before I'm ready for that step......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I figured that's awhile out.  Probably easier for me to do it, especially when you'd have to drive there sans windshields.

MiniDave

Today was spent sorting thru the boxes to see what parts I had (and what I didn't have) and laying out the work. I got the front harness laid into place, sorted out the rear harness, installed the alternator, coil and bracket, engine steady and installed the custom valve cover.

I made a list of pieces parts I still need, most of the small bits I can get up at Victoria British, and Stan said he found a couple more boxes of parts in his garage and he'll bring them down tomorrow.

A good start for the first day.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Looks good.  It's nice working with new parts.

MiniDave

Yes, but everything is a puzzle....does this go here, or here? How do I get this bolted in? Does it go in before or after this other thing? and so on.....it all takes time to sort out, since I didn't take it apart I have no memories or pics to refer back to. There might be some starts and stops and re-do's, but I'll get there......

I try to imagine what order the factory used when they put it together the first time......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

If I ever quit driving mine and actually start taking it apart I'll try to document it well.

MiniDave

Stan brought me a thumbdrive full of pics tonight, but even so he says he still thinks he didn't take enough pics........

I don't think you can take too many pics, especially of details and wiring connections.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A little more accomplished, master cylinders are in and the clutch controls, I also installed his "eyes" so he could see!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad