Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It was thick and putty like.  Didn't look factory to me whatever it was.  Found where the left rear corner was hit and repaired.  They did a good job at getting it pretty well back in position.  A fair amount of filler over the right arch but not sure why exactly.  The seam sealer in the gutter blasted right out too. 

MiniDave

Dan how badly are you getting blasted back when you hit something at just the wrong angle? are you wearing a sand colored  "wet" suit?  ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

The wrong angle and you get pelted bad.  I got a rain suit and need to grab rubber boots and a full face shield.  The nice thing with the water is there's no dust to breath in and the wand is long enough you're back pretty far.  No static build up either.   Occasionally my safety glasses get covered with water and I can't see what I'm doing.

94touring

Interior stripped.  Found a few rusty spots in the one corner of the floors.  Also decided to seal some of the exterior. 

MiniDave

Isn't it funny how a coat of primer makes it look so much better?   4.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

That car is SOLIIIIDDDDD!!!   4.gif

Very few patches seen or previously done! Will clean up nicely!

94touring

Few more things before I call it a day.

94touring

This phosphoric acid if left on gives a cool patina finish.  Now that the front end has been test fitted and I have my mounting points established, I'll do the spot welds with it off, make a few repairs, and refit.

stan360

I've seen some rust patina cars that were just clear coated over and that makes a pretty cool finish.

94touring

Both scuttles are good.  I only had to replace the block off plate on this side.  Redid the patchwork on the bottom also, that corner was a mess.

94touring

MiniDave

How do you like the new welder?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's magnificent 4.gif.  On these spot welds I didn't even drill out a hole, just crank it to 4 and increase the feed and it blast through the first layer, penetrates the 2nd, then pools in nearly flush. 

Front end is on but I'm going to clean up before any photos.

94touring

MiniDave

Are you keeping it the same color?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's going to be orange.  I still nneed to shoot a test panel to confirm. 

MPlayle

stan360

I thought about doing the white top.....so far though I think just all one color bracken orange.  Seen a lot of MG's in bracken...only a couple photos of it on a mini though.

jeff10049

That'll be a neat color although the last few cars iv'e seen called bracken were way too orange I hope you'r going with the more orig. bracken that is more brown than orange?

Jeff

stan360

I have seen a lot of variation to the color in photos....I think it is one of those colors that changes a bit depending on lighting.  But , yes I believe that it is supposed to have a brown tint ,,esp. in low light....very 70's .  I like it.  I photoshoped a small child out of this picture I found online and added my mini lites so I could get a feel for what it will be.

94touring

You didn't photoshop out the rust bubbles on the bottom of the door  ;D

Taking the day off but will probably have you on the rotisserie tomorrow to blast the underside.  Might try and get some MG Bracken at the local paint supply and see how it turns out.  Tried yesterday but they were closed.  Needed expoxy sealer primer since I had run out.  Ended up getting a quart at the O'Reillys that carries paint but jeezus it hurts not getting a discount there.

Also on the to do list is order a right A panel and two front seam covers.  Didn't realize I was out of the A panel, but had a chunk of one to use when I did the front end fitting. 

stan360

Quote from: 94touring on May 29, 2016, 08:16:14 AM
You didn't photoshop out the rust bubbles on the bottom of the door  ;D

Oh I  added those in for effect .....haha

MiniDave

What's your time line on finishing Stan's car, first of July-ish?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Not sure honestly.  It's moving along fairly quickly but I still have doors and a bonnet to repair and then there's talks of me doing brake and fuel lines.  Being home sick this week gave me time to get a bunch done.  Next months schedule will give me a couple days a week to work on it too. 

MiniDave

Ha! I warned him....once you start one of these there's no stopping till you've done EVERYTHING!  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad