Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

I am looking to get some sort of bracket holder for an American license plate to mount on bumper of the mini. Right now it's taped in rear window. I don't want to cover my brit plate , just a separate bracket. Any suggestions ?

stan360

Also, does anyone have one of the grey plastic boot shelves from mini spares? I thought about getting one for grocery days. Just don't want something that doesn't work well. I don't think I really care to mount the fancy bracket shelf. Don't use boot that much.

AND.....my passenger window is stubborn to roll up and down, should I spray something to help. Driver side fine. I replaced window brackets on passenger side as it was shit and before and now after just stubborn still. Don't want the bracket to fall off again haha

94touring

You may be binding on the surround rubber the glass rides in.  But you'll need to take the door cards off and see what's going on exactly when you wind it.

BruceK

Quote from: stan360 on June 23, 2018, 08:32:39 PM
Also, does anyone have one of the grey plastic boot shelves from mini spares? I thought about getting one for grocery days. Just don't want something that doesn't work well. I don't think I really care to mount the fancy bracket shelf.

The grey molded plastic boot floor that came with later Minis?   I've got one.  It makes the boot area look clean.  But mine sits in a corner of my garage.  I found it rattles around too much.  I've thought about modifying it.  I've got some wide industrial Velcro tape. I've thought using just the smooth side - the loop side - because I found that it can make good buffer pads between two surfaces.  Just haven't tried it yet.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

With how the boot lid drops, it would mean the top of the US plate would have to be no higher than the top of the bumper.  That makes it hang real low and at risk of catching on something.  Also, it would not be lighted - some states require and are picky about the rear plate being lighted.

That said, I have used simple 'L' brackets from the hardware store to put the front US plates where I want them.  I generally have put the rear up under the lamp - either by itself or over the top up an already mounted UK plate.

94touring

My plate sits under the rear chrome bumper and a bulb dangles above it for light. It's high into the bumper and basically hides the registration sticker, but haven't had a cop bother me about it. 

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on June 24, 2018, 08:50:35 AM
My plate sits under the rear chrome bumper and a bulb dangles above it for light. It's high into the bumper and basically hides the registration sticker, but haven't had a cop bother me about it.

In the first photo on the right you can see what Dan describes.   Me?  I'm on the left and I run just the UK plate about 90% of the time.  I've got my TX plate on a magnet mount - the type car dealer use - and I keep it in the boot except for certain times (e.g. when using a toll road so the cameras can read the TX plate).   I can put it on/take it off in seconds and the magnet sticks on the flat spot just below the UK plate. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

In the 4 years I've driven either of my Minis with only the "Euro" plates, I've never had anyone look askance at it and I've had plenty of cops directly behind me. I keep the Kansas plate and reg in the car, but like I said no one has ever even looked at it.
I think Bruce's idea of using a magnetic holder is the best way if you want to keep the Euro plates on.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I've never been stopped either.   The Mini's unique size and a rarity seems to give it some sort immunity.  4.gif   

I got my magnetic license mount at Gallagher Promotional Products.   Looks like Amazon has them too. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

stan360

So I ordered the magnets and will give that a try. I think you are right in that the mini may just slide under the radar for cool factor. I like how Dan did the under bumper mount, may try this if magnet is not to my liking.  I think I can hold off on that plastic boot shelf for a bit then if it's a rattle box

stan360

I checked the rubber surrounds as I had the door apart. Just stumped for the moment on it, but yes, gonna have to take the card off and look some more. Something is a bit off.

stan360

So I have started to get a belt squeak in 1st gear . First light then a week and it's pretty noisy. What to do first here?

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

OK, I just wanted to make sure before I get carried away.  Maybe the  belt is stretching a bit. 

BruceK

It could be stretching a little. But as long as the belt appears in good shape and you have room for more adjustment then I'd say that's the solution.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

stan360

tightened belt and adjust idle.  Going out today to test.   Thanks

stan360

That seemed to fix things. My idle is still high with not much adjust left but I am excited for the dyno day to whip things into shape

stan360

Ok , I spoke to soon. Drive around today all is well. Late day pick up speed down the highway a bit and then after I hit the light to stop and then go again, squeak is back !?!

tsumini

MPlayle

Some newer belts for our Minis seem to stretch multiple times.  I had one a while back that would be fine for a couple days, then start squealing.  I would tighten it and be good for another couple days, then the squeal would return.  After about 5 or 6 rounds of that, I bought a different belt and stopped having the problem.

stan360

Ok,
I will tighten again tomorrow. I always thought belt dressing would mask problem . I did buy some though.  Tighten first then I try dressing if no luck maybe.  Its been a long time since i used the dressing on belt. 

MiniDave

You had paint on your lower crank pulley, that could be acting as a lubricant and making the belt slip/squeal......remember the spark I posted about? That was due to the paint, I'm sure.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Tightened belt today, his time used screwdriver as pry bar to help hold alternator. Seems to have worked.
The spark is still there . It disappeared for a bit and came back.

94touring

I tightened up the belt once too and gave it a cleaning which got rid of the spark.

stan360

The spark is minimal after tightening belt.   Perhaps I need to wrench it a bit tighter to eliminate but , I will drive this week and see where I am at.