Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stan360

Door cards and seat covers today ! Door cards are all done for me , I just need to make a couple small cuts through the vinyl to poke the hardware on .  I thought maybe I would be glueing covers to old cards, this makes things a lot easier for me.

thebluepotato

Stan - looking great!  Cannot believe how similar our Minis are in nature.

stan360

I love that gray with red seat combo,  so cool. Looks  classy. 

stan360

Almost done.  Got all the seats sorted and have been driving for a couple weeks.  I need to put the dash cards in but just wanted to wait to make sure all the switches are in working order first.

94touring

How much cussing was done during the seat job? Car looks great  4.gif

MiniDave

Someone spotted it and posted it on Facebook last week....   77.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

I cannot,drive it anywhere without someone to talk to or take pics of the mini

gr8kornholio

Quote from: stan360 on June 05, 2018, 06:30:02 AM
I cannot,drive it anywhere without someone to talk to or take pics of the mini

Sounds about right  77.gif Looks great!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Your Mini looks great out and about.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

stan360

Quote from: 94touring on June 05, 2018, 02:04:09 AM
How much cussing was done during the seat job? Car looks great  4.gif
[/quote

I had trouble with the seats. The back seat rest especially. Did it backwards once, wrong the next time. Redo this morning and looks correct finally. So just as i finally sort all that, the passenger window rails fall off . I roll the damn thing down immediatly after finally getting all the seats sorted, and clunk. So i had new rails and rubber so that was my morning. Ha.

Tomorrow, replace flakey choke knob and dash papers. Woo hoo .

Loaded up 5 adults this evening and blasted down the highway about 65 mph , test things out,. Nobody died

94touring

Your 1st window rail job will most certainly suck.  Just made me laugh thinking about getting Bruce's car all buttoned up, and as soon as I rolled the window down the gearing came apart. 

stan360

Yes, there were some fearful moments smacking the new rails with a mallet to get them on.  I worked through it.  Today is the dash, and now one of my headlamps is flakey or bulb burnt out.  Always something to mess with. 

When I turn car off , oftentimes the car runs a tad bit , clunk clunk off.  What to do about this ?  I was thinking what you said Dan about maybe needing to get a different needle in the carb to allow a bit more adjustment, so that is on my list.

MiniDave

What usually causes this is the idle speed is too high, as the engine breaks in sometimes the idle will climb a bit - setting it just below 1000 rpm will keep it from doing this.

I agree you may need a richer needle.....if you pull that one out and check the number I have the extras you bought, we can see if one of them is richer so you don't have to order one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yeah you need the next needle up.  It should rid you of that flat spot on wide open throttle.

stan360

Dash done today. Here is pics of interior. Gonna sort out my headlamp tomorrow and straighten out the steering wheel.

jeff10049

4.gif Looks really great! Nice car.

stan360

Thanks, just need a tag bracket now so i can get my plate out of back window

stan360

Quote from: MiniDave on June 06, 2018, 10:03:16 AM
What usually causes this is the idle speed is too high, as the engine breaks in sometimes the idle will climb a bit - setting it just below 1000 rpm will keep it from doing this.

I agree you may need a richer needle.....if you pull that one out and check the number I have the extras you bought, we can see if one of them is richer so you don't have to order one.

Dave, Here is the carb #  FZX3006 HIF44.  Not sure what needle that came with .  I had extra but cannot remember what.  So not sure which one is best to replace. Maybe we can get together and sort it out soon.

MiniDave

Yes, we'll have to remove the top of the carb and remove the needle from the piston so we can read the number off it, then we can refer to the needle chart and find which one will richen it up a bit. I think you had a spare BDL, if that's what's already in there we may have to order something, but it's not too hard to swap them out, and then reset the carb.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

flipstah

Darn, that's a lot of interior work. I love it. <3

stan360

Oh, that interior about killed me off. I try so hard and I think its acceptable. Carpet measuring, cutting, guessing Aggghhh!  The back seat rest was a bear for me too.  Pocket liners were a pain and I ruined one and had to order another, but its done !   Just gotta replace my choke lever and a headlamp that burned out , Do a little carb work with Dave and change a needle.  So fun driving and after 3 years on the car I was chomping at the bit to get this to the finish line.   Maybe someday down the road I could have some energy to do this again, but I had so much help from Dave and Dan , so I would still be looking at a half finished car if not for them.   For now I am going to enjoy some new adventures in life and a few of them of course will be in the mini !

jeff10049

Doing all that will give you one hell of an appreciation for the work that goes into a nice car it's a lot of work.

stan360

I remember spending a lot of time looking at your restoration pics and progress and the attention to detail as an inspiration as how I wanted my car to look.   

94touring

Glad I could help.  I like to joke, but it's true, you helped me buy the shop, my townhouse, and your rear quarter damage bought my trailer.  Keep the cars coming!  You can always come down and put this 66 together or block sand Mark's car for me  4.gif

gr8kornholio

If I lived closer, I'd be there more to help at least with assembly.  No more paint and body work for me though.  Just not my bag, Baby.(in best Austin Powers voice)
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.