Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

No, the connectors do not release from the harness wires......it wasn't too bad a job once I figured out which way to go, but it was one that benefited from an extra pair of hands, which I did not have, so I had to get creative.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I just want to say that I am really digging this orange color.  Looks great in photos.  A nice change from the typical red Mini (nothing against red - I've owned two red Minis myself).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I think once it's all together it will be a showpiece, I wonder what he's going to do for the interior - he says he has something in mind.......I should have it running in a couple of days or so. I'd like to send it home for Xmas!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A few more things finished......the 9 gallon fuel tank is in - next up for that end I need to install the electric fuel pump.

Stan had to tke the left axle out to get the motor installed, so I also buttoned it up for him.

Still working on how to mount the switch panel, the brackets that came with it just dont seem right for this dash...still working that out. Got the accelerator cable and linkage done, got the heater hoses run and the heater installed, got the breather pipes cut and installed.....the engine compartment is starting to get a bit crowded, just like a Mini!

I also got all the fresh air vents tubes and pipes run on the right side, waiting for one more piece to complete the puzzle on the left side.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The switch panel area of the lower dash rail looks like the version that is supposed to have the padded cover.  With that style, there are two sort of 'L' brackets that attach on bolts through those tiny holes and have larger holes for the choke and heater cables to go through and hold the switch plate to the brackets.  The brackets act as 'stand-offs' to hold the switch plate to the front of the padded cover.

MiniDave

Yep, thanks for the comment Michael....I finally got it sorted tonight - Stan sent me a pic of the original and I figured it out from there. I didn't know the dash pad was so thick there and I hadn't taken the new one out of the package to see how it was made.

Tonight I finished up under the car save for one more task - well two now that I think of it.....I have to slip the main cable under it's clips and put that rear brake line right.

Tonight I did get the exhaust all tightened up and I made a bracket to mount the SU fuel pump, and got it plumbed. I still have to run a wire back to the pump, so I guess I'm not done underneath after all..... ::) ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Dave, I appreciate all of your hard work on the mini.  Everything looks great. You have really helped me out here. Thank you. 

MiniDave

Not a huge amount accomplished today.....installed and wired the center dash panel so I could hook up the choke, heater and accelerator cables. Made a wire loom for the fuel pump and installed that. Installed the oil pressure gauge hose and speedo cable. Started on the center dash binnacle and discovered the new loom didn't have the connector on the end to match up to the new wiring harness, so Stan will come by and pick it up tonight and solder it onto the harness.

In the meantime I still have plenty to do......but it is getting there!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Ahhhh.....the clutch and brake master cylinder clevis pins and cotters - the bane of every Mini owner! I've managed to get both pins in place and the brake cotter in and bent over - I have the clutch cotter in but cannot get ahold of it sufficiently to get even one leg bent over aaagggggghhhhhhh!

Driving me nuts!

However, some small good news, I found the correct harness for the instruments (with the connector already attached) and the missing air box that goes down in the left fender for the fresh air hose

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Seems like some enterprising Mini nut would invent a special tool to install the pedal to master cylinder pins and cotter pins in place.  Some sort of a pliers thingy that would slid the pins in, then install and bend the cotter pins. 

I wonder how the did it on the Mini factory line?  And pity the guy whose job was to fit those on the assembly line each day!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Such a thing does exist to install the clevis pins, but I've not seen anything for the cotters.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Had to go borrow a double flare tool, the reason that brake line wasn't attached was it had the wrong fitting on it, but the right one was there waiting in the T-junction. There's plenty of line so I'll cut it off and re-flare the end with the right fitting on it and it will be good to go.

I also got the linkage sorted for the carb and as luck would have it I found the correct wiring harness for the instruments.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

If there was a fitting in the T junction waiting, it must have been on my to do list which was forgotten about.   :-[

MiniDave

That was my guess......I think those marks on the fitting on the line indicate it's a metric fitting.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

They do. He bought a brake kit but it had the wrong fittings for a t junction as I recall.

MiniDave

Small progress.....it's only 20* out today so it's hard to be in the shop for more than a short while.....

Wired up the instrument cluster, only to find that this newest harness - with the correct end on it - is short one bulb holder, so we'll splice one in from the other harness when Stan brings it back to me. This 3 gauge cluster with the magnolia gauges really looks terrific, and will go great with Stan's interior scheme.

Next I had to sort the shifter, I installed it exactly as it came out of the box brand new and once in the car the shifter just wasn't right. After studying on it a bit, I concluded the shift eye (the part the shift ball goes into) was upside down - all it took to right it was to release the connector at the transmission and rotate it 180* and put the clip back in (Stan bought one of those nifty clips like Bruce did) now it feels pretty right - a little notchy, but there's no oil in the trans so I'll wait till I fill it up and it's running and then see how it does.

Back to the dash, the next thing I need to do is sort out the steering column, it has a lot of play in the lower bushing end, I need to see what's up there, then I can go ahead and install and wire it too.

Once it and the instrument cluster are in I can hook up the battery and start trouble shooting the wiring - you know there are going to be "issues" before it all works as it should, I just hope I don't let any smoke out! I've gone back and forth on fuse holders, Stan has a 4, 6 and 8 fuse holders that take the modern blade style fuses, but I opted for the traditional 4 fuse holder so far to make wiring it up easier. However, I'm not real impressed with the quality of these later "Lucas" fuse holders, I usually have to go in and bend the tabs that hold the fuses as right out of the box they're loose as can be. We'll see how this goes.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the lower bearing in the steering column sorted, it's nice and snug now and will be a bit stiff till it gets some miles on it, the bushing simply wasn't in place - but I had to disassemble the column to get to it. All I need to do now is put the shrouds back on and it's ready....one more thing off the list.

I also had to go in and rob some wires out of the old harness for the reverse lights switch...fortunately I found just what I needed in the old wiring harness - even in the right colors! - although I did have to chew up Stan's nice tape job a bit to get to them......but since he's got a whole new harness for the car it's no loss I guess.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

Check out what my girlfriend got for me for christmas !!

MiniDave

Got the steering column all finished up and installed...

Checked the wires I harvested from the old harness and they fit perfectly, even the ends match up - result!

Very cool wallet, Stan....is that a Paul Smith Mini?

Is that a Banta fur rug?   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

stan360

thanks, yeah Paul Smith mini.....bed bath beyond fake blankey haha

stan360

Everything looks great Dave, thank you.

MiniDave

Home stretch now, I have to make a ground wire for the fuel pump, trace and hookup a few more wire connections under the bonnet and in the dash. Install the gauge panel, bleed the brakes and clutch, adjust the rear brakes and/or handbrake. Install missing clamps on the CVs and axles and tighten the tie rod ends I noticed were loose. Fill the engine with oil, pull the plugs and crank up oil pressure, install the distributor and set the timing. Gas in the tank and water in the radiator and it will be time to twist her tail and make her talk.....

One good warm day or several of the cold ones we're having right now - certainly ready to go home by the first of the year!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

A little more progress today, dash is installed, wired up, oil pressure line connected, speedo cable connected. Speedo cable was giving me fits so I pulled it out of the car - I realized the ends were not fitting into their respective sockets both in the transmission and the speedo head, so I took a fine file to those square sections and dressed them out a bit - once that was done both ends fit perfectly. This has to be one of the easier speedo cables to reach on the transmission end - maybe because the Spicer joints are smaller? Dunno, but it wasn't too bad

Anyway, I also found out what's hanging up the shifter - turns out the reverse light switch wasn't adjusted, and had wound itself all the way in so it was blocking the shifter mechanism. Once I backed it out I could easily get all 4 gears, now I'll have to adjust it to get reverse to slot in properly, then at last I'll be done with the shifter!

Got the rest of the wiring harness hooked up under the dash and started testing things - no smoke yet!   :D

I now have lights, but I haven't found the flasher units yet to test the turn signals and 4-ways. The wiper motor works and parks, and even the dome light works - with the doors no less!

Next I'll get the fuel pump ground wire made and tested, button up the shifter once and for all, find the flasher relays and continue testing the electrics.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Got the turn signals and flashers working too, I also got the turn signal self canceling to work....I also clamped up the axle boots and tightened the tie rod ends. So the front end is done now, still have to finish sorting out the shifter and the fuel pump.

Next up, put oil in and crank up oil pressure......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad