Parts Resources

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2015, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

I saw this on one of the UK sites.
I guess that Somerford started importing a few years ago.
http://www.somerfordmini.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=nHlDu6QhtrovRYsO5H9vI3&keyword=valtain

Not sure what the relationship is between Valtain and JMSA
https://j-msa-classic.com/index.html

It looks like guessworks is also importing some items. be nice if one of the US suppliers did that.

And it seems David's website has been updated:
http://classicminisjapan.com/

Red Riley

Quote from: MiniDave on July 28, 2016, 10:36:15 AM
Just another Plus one for McMaster Carr - I was looking for a 3" long stud 5/16 -18 on one end and 5/16-24 on the other, the only place I could find it was MC, they had it in stock and I had it the next day! Shipping can be a bit spendy for one stud but it's not anything I could see needing another in the future, so I only bought the one.

I did find carb mounting kits that had four studs for more money, but with shipping they came out about twice as much.

Yeah, McMaster Carr is awesome. I got all of my door seals from them. They sent me short pieces of a bunch of different sizes so I could pick the ones I wanted.
Bolt Depot is really good for fasteners too.

Willie_B

There is a price difference between Somerford and Classicminisjapan. On the cv boot Somerford $51/ Classicminis $61.  for the strreing rack end parts, Somerford $125/Classicminis $157. The track rod ends Somerford $25/ Classicminis $63.  So shop around.

tmsmini

Just FYI...
Somerford has updated their website and the new one no longer relies on Flash.
Also you can now process overseas orders directly with out waiting for a shipping quote.

Placed an order Sunday 12/20, had an issue with the order(did not accept the cookie warning) and redid it on Monday.
DHL shipment accepted Tuesday, went direct to LA and should be delivered Monday, so one week total time, if it arrives Monday.

94touring

Good info. I'll check them out.

tmsmini

I was amazed the Somerford parts came yesterday. It was not a big box, mostly injection hoses, lamba sensor and other small things. But even with the holiday, that was six days delivered to the door.

Red Riley

Quote from: tmsmini on December 27, 2020, 10:36:18 AM
I was amazed the Somerford parts came yesterday. It was not a big box, mostly injection hoses, lamba sensor and other small things. But even with the holiday, that was six days delivered to the door.

I second that. I've had very good experience with Somerford.

MiniDave

Same here, they have stuff that Spares doesn't also....but - I use Spares for most everything.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

fourdrracer

Thanks for your help so far Dave.  Do you know if there is a classic Mini salvage lot in the U.S.?  I appreciate the UK sources, but none of them want to send glass across the pond, for fear of breakage.

Lee

Willie_B

Minis have not been imported/sold new here since 1968. So not enough supply left to have a mini salvage place. Canada maybe as they went there much later than the US.

flipstah

Is Mini Sport USA a reputable place to get parts from? I usually get mine from Mini Spares and try to enjoy the customs duties when picking it up lol.

MiniDave

Other than some maintenance type parts that Mike keeps at his place, most everything from MiniSport also comes from England.

What sort of stuff do you need?

I generally buy from Spares, but have bought a lot of stuff from Mike too. Being in the states we only pay customs if the order is pretty substantial, like around $2K, and our duty charge is pretty low. I don't know how you rate in Canada after Brexit, but it seems like you should be VAT exempt? I dunno how it works in the GWN.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

skmini

We are UK VAT exempt, but still have to pay our federal and provincial sales taxes.  And then whatever brokerage fees the shipper charges.  Duty depends on what it is; I want to say there's no duty on car parts.

MiniDave

Then I would go straight to either Spares or Sports UK website and order away! What type of stuff do you need?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Minisport USA is just fine. But I'd reach out to verify the parts are in fact stateside already.  Otherwise you're just ordering and it's being sent from the UK anyway. 90% of all my parts come from minispares.  Rarely get hit with custom fees.  I did get nailed hard once with a shipment from minisport that turned into a huge fiasco and cost me an additional $500 on fees from UPS.  Still pisses me off!  They held my parts hostage when they should have released them immediately, then charged the hell out of me for storage fees, which I was totally unaware of.  I've never had that issue with DHL when ordering from Spares.  UPS also ruined a $3k transaxle for me.  Pretty sure they tossed it out of the truck going down the highway.

flipstah

Quote from: MiniDave on June 05, 2024, 07:26:18 PMThen I would go straight to either Spares or Sports UK website and order away! What type of stuff do you need?

It's more bits and bobs to clean up the car: new fender arches, roof gutter trim, wiper blades, etc.

skmini

I've also had the best luck with ordering from Spares UK.  As a Canadian, I wouldn't bother ordering anything from a vendor based in the US, they had to import the parts from the UK (from the same vendors you would end up ordering from) and then you end up importing them from the US.  You'll pay brokerage fees either way, but I can't see the parts being cheaper coming from the US.

flipstah

I'll buy straight from Spares UK then. Thanks!

tmsmini

I have had good luck with MiniSpares as well, but lately Somerford Mini has been getting some of my orders. I ordered last Friday and it will be delivered today. It is a small box, but still that is quicker than ordering from most US suppliers.

MiniDave

Just an FYI, MiniMania/7 Ent is in bankruptcy right now, but still selling and delivering parts. I have noticed lately that their parts prices have seemed to come down to more reasonable levels - I don't know if they're simply burning off inventory or are trying to move to the market.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ADRay

I just got th
Quote from: MiniDave on June 17, 2024, 10:40:11 AMJust an FYI, MiniMania/7 Ent is in bankruptcy right now, but still selling and delivering parts. I have noticed lately that their parts prices have seemed to come down to more reasonable levels - I don't know if they're simply burning off inventory or are trying to move to the market.

I just got that email myself... currently awaiting a refund for a canceled order. Better not hold my breath.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

I mean who buys from them??  They're just the middle man for minispares.

Edit:  I guess Adray does lol

94touring

I wonder if they close shop if they shut their forum down too  :017:

ADRay

Quote from: 94touring on June 17, 2024, 10:46:04 AMI mean who buys from them??

Edit:  I guess Adray does lol

Fair enough 😆, but not usually. they had hoses I needed that I thought would arrive sooner than from the UK.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

MiniDave

I don't know if they're trying to reorganize their debt and continue to do business or if they're in liquidation......I wonder how you would find out? I know that Bruce ordered some parts a few days ago (last Friday) and got shipping and tracking info right away......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad