Author Topic: Reggie: The '96 Rover Mini  (Read 25924 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

Re: Reggie: The '96 Rover Mini
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
Checked the trap and all the lines, all seems clear. I will be ordering a new SPi air filter, eventually.

This also happened. Check the before numbers.

Mini on the rack by Jory Irving, on Flickr

Alignment by Jory Irving, on Flickr

The front passenger side (or drivers side for RHD), was dialed back on camber as much as possible. I literally can't get less camber, so the other side was made to match. It also took us 30+ minutes with the toe plate on the rear drivers side. I couldn't get any less toe in than that.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
Do you have adjustable camber lower control arms, and if so what style? Some are harder to adjust than others, and some don't adjust very far at all. If you don't have them you can install them and set your camber wherever you want it, same with caster - adjustable tie bars.....that way you can dial it in exactly where you want it. I find this style easiest to set and they're well made and heavy duty.

https://usa.minisport.com/spdsp431a-heavy-duty-adjustable-mini-bottom-suspension-arms.html

You need these to adjust the caster - I think 4* is a lot, I run 3* on my cars, but it's in spec.

https://usa.minisport.com/c-8g4249-mini-sport-adjustable-front-suspension-tie-rod-pair.html

How does it drive now, any better? What was it doing before?

To get less toe in the back you need to either put shims behind the bracket or use adjustable brackets. I have a new set of Mini Sport rear camber and toe brackets I can sell you if you want them.....I don't need them. They're normally $75, I'd take $50 (US) plus shipping.

I like to run .5* camber, front and rear, a little toe in in the rear and a little toe out in the front
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:29:54 AM by MiniDave »
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #227 on: October 25, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »
I have adjustable everything. Camber arms, caster, toe/camber plates in the rear.

Drives way better, but while under the car, I noticed the leaking brake fluid. I just dug into it, and the cylinder is just gushing fluid. One piston is completely stuck, the other is a waterfall, so I just ordered some new 3/4" bore cylinders, an air filter, a spare oil filter, and a replacement vacuum line for the intake.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #228 on: October 25, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
And some new shoes? If they have brake fluid on them they'll get sticky and drag or lock up.....
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #229 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:24 PM »
Didn't realize that. Welp. I'll have to look into either getting some replacements, and in the mean time, just ensuring these are really clean. It's unfortunate, they have quite a bit of meat on them. I'm also trying to spend as little right now, as my contract ended, and I haven't managed to line up some more work yet.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
Sometimes you can clean them up OK with a can of spray brake cleaner, but not if they've been soaked. New shoes are only about $18/set at Victoria British.....their part #6-510

http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/sm/full.aspx?Page=40

they can't be a whole lot more up there.....

Good luck on finding another placement!   4.gif
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline jeff10049

« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
A new one isn't too bad, 13.29 or about $23 Canadian......

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/NPC10001.aspx?10&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/fuel trap.aspx|Back to search

So Jeff, what does it do exactly? trap fuel in the vacuum lines? And if so, how does fuel get into the vacuum lines?

Keeps moisture/fuel/oil residue out of the map sensor located in the ecm. The trap is known to plug up and cause rich/poor running due to low signal to the map.  The temp sensor could also be a likely culprit.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM »

Drum Cylinder 1 by Jory Irving, on Flickr

Drum Cylinder 2 by Jory Irving, on Flickr

Filter by Jory Irving, on Flickr

This happened. Once it warms up, I'll do the other side as well, since I ordered 2 regardless. I hate the c-clip, but I figured it out. Reused the old bleed nipple, as it was larger and fit the tubing I was using to bleed the brakes. One of the pistons is completely seized on the old drum cylinder.

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
Once you get them both sorted it should make it stop better! What causes that is people not changing their brake fluid - EVER!

;D
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
1969 Jaguar XK-E FHC
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

« Reply #234 on: November 05, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
I bled the brakes when I rebuilt the rear subframe, and installed the braided lines all the way around. I just wanted the leak to stop, so I did the one side, moved it to the driveway, pulled the battery, put the car cover on it, and it's now under ~20cm of snow. Went through half a can of brake cleaner, cleaning up the shoes, backing plate and such.

Come spring (or a chinook to melt all the snow), I'll do the other side as well.