grill quick disconnect?

Started by Hayman9644, May 30, 2009, 01:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayman9644

Who makes a good grill quick removal set up?  I have seen one but I really didnt like it.  My holes are stripping out and I need a new grill anyway so does anyone know of either one I can buy or I can get some mild machine work done where I work.  Pictures would be nice too. 

94touring

Couldn't find any pictures, but what I've seen before was a bolt on either side of the grill with a nut on each side holding it to the front end securely, and then a button/knob fixture that screws on the bolt over the grill holding it in place.  The bolts are the easy part to get and setup, you just have to find the right button on the end that looks good.   

Hayman9644

I was hoping for something hidden from the back side.  Or fasteners that are somewhat hidden from view.  I guess I could get chrome ones.

94touring

Yeah I was going to mention getting chrome fasteners that blend in.  I had a set on the blue pickup I had. 

joltfreak

I think they are called grill buttons
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

Minicop

Joltkreak is correct, they are called grill buttons. They are a big hit over here in Japan. They make it very easy to take your grill off. It only takes a matter of seconds. As you can see from the pic of my Mini, they come in other colors besides chrome. I chose red to match the color of my Mini. I've seen red, chrome, blue, silver, gold and others too. They look good and serve a great purpose!

94 I can't get the pics to work. I've tried your instructions but it still doesn't work, the insert image is f***** up.

94touring

Minicop

The Grill Buttons on my Mini.

Edit: Wow! That just EXPLODES on to the page! :D I don't mess around when I want to post a pic! Haha! Thanks 94! My pic was too big.

Minicop

HayMan9644- If you want, I can take my grille off tomorrow and take pics of where she was drilled at so you can do the same.

Hayman9644

Your car looks awesome but I was hoping for something hidden from behind for mine. 

Minicop

Thank you Hayman. I don't think there is away you could do it from behind. Unless you got the screw holes fixed. Something has to come on the front side of the grill to hold it to the car. I had that problem too. Only about half the screws were holding the grill on, so I went with the grill buttons. Not to pressure you, but I think you should go with them. Chrome is your best bet if you want them to blend in with the grill. You can see what they look like matching the car color. Plus it makes changing the oil filter a breeze! My oil filter has been converted to a 'screw on' type so it's even easier! ;D Whatever you choose, be sure to tell us what you did.

My oil filter conversion:

notabmw

I don't really like the look of grill buttons... I did a hidden version of them.  I used rubber well nuts with a #10 captivated nut and #10 button head hex socket cap screws.  They are invisible unless you get on your knees and look between the slats.  The nice thing about this method is that you still have a quick removal grill with the added security of no one being able to steal the grill unless they have the proper tool.

mini_fly

Hey Tony, that sounds like a good idea.

Can you post a pic of what it looks like?

Henry

Hayman9644

Minicop
    Did you make your own oil filter conversion?  Was it that hard to do?  If you have any detailed pictures that would be nice. 

notabmw

Quote from: mini_fly on June 07, 2009, 07:08:55 PM
Hey Tony, that sounds like a good idea.

Can you post a pic of what it looks like?

Henry

I will try to get a picture for you tonight...

Minicop

Quote from: Hayman9644 on June 09, 2009, 11:10:24 AM
Minicop
    Did you make your own oil filter conversion?  Was it that hard to do?  If you have any detailed pictures that would be nice. 

Nope. My mechanic changed it for me. Looked like an easy transition too. I'll get some pics from a few different angles and post them on here.