Inline coolant sender port

Started by ADRay, September 14, 2015, 06:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADRay

1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Just to adapt another water temp sensor?  Most rads have a spot for an extra as well. 

MiniDave

Yes, but having a bung soldered in will cost more than this, I wonder what size and thread pitch the port is? You could also use it for a fan switch.....I also wonder what the screw is for?

I'm thinking about buying one of these too, cause I'd like to get my dash gauge working after I installed an actual temp gauge - I know it's redundant to have both, but it's the same logic as having the low pressure oil light working when you install an actual oil pressure gauge.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

True but if you have any of these aluminum rads the bung is there ready to go. 

ADRay

long story short, I had a "new" port & polished head on in spring, and the old head had a port for the sender, the new one doesn't, neither does the radiator.

Just trying to think of the least invasive way to get the sender reinstalled.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

94touring

Tap and die into the head is an option too.  Otherwise this gizmo would do the trick. 

MtyMous

In my line of work, we work very hard to breaking continuity as little as possible on electrical, hydraulic, fuel/coolant lines, etc. It introduces new failure points. So personally, I wouldn't run one. It will probably work just fine, but it will also put a wire close to a heat source, a water source, and a fan moving at high speed. Not ideal. I would tap and die the head to accept your sensor personally.

MiniDave

Not only that, but the right place for the sensor is in the head, before the thermostat - not after it. Putting it in the coolant hose means you'll only get an accurate reading after the t-stat opens.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad